Heavy towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trekker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got pretty close to may towing on my truck a few weeks ago doing demo for a whole home remodel. WAY overloaded the rented dump trailer with concrete and tile. The trailer wasn't even full so we didn't expect to overload it but had to get to the dump before it closed so we called it where it was. Got to the dump and was weighed in at almost 16k pounds just for the trailer and load. Trailer was limited to 4k by the rental place, not sure about manufacturer. Truck towed like a dream, exhaust brake was more than enough to maintain speed and even slow down on lighter hills without brakes. Way more than enough power. I definitely would not be worried towing more with it. I definitely do want to get that pac brake add on though since it is supposed to more than double your exhaust brake horsepower, but thats on the back burner until the warranty runs out.

I'm in love with this truck

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I pulled a '93 Ford Bronco from Nashville, TN to Tampa on a Uhaul trailer... Was hanging 3' off the ass end of the trailer, front was hanging half way over the tongue, and I had to air the tires way up so they would fit inside the wheel channels. The trailer suspension was completely down on the axles... Pulled it with a UHaul truck. NO, they did NOT know I was pulling a lifted Bronco monster truck on their trailer... I was getting calls on the CB radio from truckers telling me I needed to put the UHaul truck on the trailer and pull it with the Bronco! LOL

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm glad to see you have an HD. These stories are often told by some knucklehead with a 1500 :)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm assuming the dump trailer was hydraulic. I'm not aware of any dump trailers that can "lift the load" when overload to the point the OP described. Therefore, I'm calling BS.

Additionally, dumps weigh the entire load, tow vehicle, and trailer incoming and outgoing to determine the dumped weight. Dumps are not set up to weight individual axels or have a trailer disconnected to weigh only the trailer.