Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Cabin Leak - Passenger Front Floor - Out of Options

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by rrb6699, Jul 31, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. rrb6699

rrb6699 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 / 318
    well I've tried everything I can think of. I have a leak in my truck that seems to get the carpet sopping wet on the passenger side front. however, there's no Trace of the carpet being wet trailing in from the rear or from the front or from the hump. It's just as if the puddle appears in the middle of the front passenger foot area.

now, I've been trying different things and am almost out of options. firstly, I've sorta ruled out the heater core since there is no coolant odor or anything but water on the towels.

I've re-sealed the windshield, rear window seals, I've used waterproof tape to tape up the vent windows, front vents under the windshield (what are these for anyway?), I've tried clearing the a/c drain with a garden hose and it seems to drain out when I do this and when I run the a/c. plus even with all that hose pressure it doesn't leak into passenger compartment.

is there a way for water to enter from under the cab somehow?

I just did use the tape to tape the door shut because I installed a new seal around the passenger cab door opening on the body. but, the driver-side seal is the one that should leak. it has rips in it I several places but no water on the driver-side floor.

upon taping the passenger door shut i found it to still leak somehow. really stumped.

PIPTHEREDRAM likes this.
  2. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I had a leak I couldn't locate in a previous vehicle.

What worked the best was pulling the carpet out and running water all over the outside of the car.

You might not see a trail in/on the carpet but you will most likely see one if all these is to look at is the floor pan.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rrb6699 likes this.
  3. LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    What year is your truck? Look under the front passenger seat, where the Jack goes. There will be a screw which holds your Jack down. And sometimes there is another hole..... with nothing in it lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. CWhatMexy

CWhatMexy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2L
    Have you check the seals to the doors? Im having the same problem and noticed that my seal for the whole front passenger door and crew cab are missing some rubber. That would be my best guess. Or what about the 3rd brake light?

PIPTHEREDRAM likes this.
  5. Hero6

Hero6 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I had a similar issue on my sons 97. Water in passenger floorboard. We had to pull the metal cowl off that covers the windshield wipers and blow out all of the debris in there and wash it all out. Hasn't leaked since. You can test this by running a hose in there while having the carpet pulled back under the dash and see if that is where the water is coming in.

6. rrb6699

rrb6699 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 / 318
    metal cowl? not sure what to look for. my profile has all my info. 1996 ram 1500 5.2l 2wd extended cab.

my driver door seal is missing pieces, torn yet the driver side doesn't leak. when it rains it gets spoofing wet and quick.

what is the best stuff to seal windshields with? I may have a failure there due to sun deteriorating the stuff I used.

7. Hero6

Hero6 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
  8. PIPTHEREDRAM

PIPTHEREDRAM Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 magnum
    I've got the same issue with my 98.

9. rrb6699

rrb6699 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.2 / 318
    here is a pic I took at night that shows the puddle forming but no evidence of where the source of thewater is feeding it.
    the carpet is dry on all sides of the water. I even punched holes thru the floor and it doesn't drain out.

hating life because I'll probably have to tear out all the flooring I just put in. plus it wasn't leaking when I put that carpet in.

IMG_20190807_000504.jpg

10. Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    magnum, 5.9
    Do you notice this after the AC has been run, or is it after a hard rain?