Help Hids and aftermarket stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sup all, ya I just installed my hids back n yesterday and this morning I had no sound n my truck after turning lights on, radio was on amps were on, I have after market amps, I don't have the ground and battery wire running to same ones coming from amps so I'm lost on what it might be, when I got to plant killed truck started back up and worked fined but made a clicking noise when turning light on, has anyone had issues with something like this?

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
are you running a relay harness to the HIDs?

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemmskii
Did you install a canbus HID kit? You will have electrical/flickering/buzzing nightmares if you didn't.

OP
OP
hemi1282

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes have relay, harness, capacitors, ballis all that and lights work fine but got a clicking noise when turning my lights on coming through speakers doesn't click when turning them off and even with the radio muted and turned down been tryna figure it out all day I'm freakin lost, I don't remember it doin this b4 last time I installed'em

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Start with the basics here.

1. Make sure Amp Power wire is still tight at the battery and fuse is solid? Meter 12v on each side of the fuse.
2. Make sure grounds at battery are still tight.
3. Make sure amplifier grounds are to bare sheet metal, paint sanded off and to part of the car not welded on. I can never stress the importance of this enough.
4. Make sure HIDs are grounded to the battery, or grounded like above.

I'm willing to bet you have a ground issue, almost would be shocked if it wasn't lol... and I'd guess #3 or #4 is the problem.

If none of these fix it, let us know. I have plenty of troubleshooting tips.

OP
OP
hemi1282

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok I'll check it out hopefully it's a ground

OP
OP
hemi1282

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did the cleanin paint under all my grounds seemed to work for awhile I still got a click noise when turning lights on but sound hasn't went off until this morning, damn it I had thought that was a fix, I seen one of my fog lights had a lil bit of water n it so I took it out cleaned it ran a heat gun on it dryer it out and put and extra rubber seal around the light bulb so water wouldn't get n but then seen the hid had a black tint to it like it's been burnt wonder if its that bulb I mean it still works and same color as the other one, dunno

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Aside from what Adrian said, I would disconnect all of the ballasts from the truck. Plug each in one at a time and test. You might be able to pin point something.

Maybe there was grease/finger print on the bulb to cause the burnt look?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from what Adrian said, I would disconnect all of the ballasts from the truck. Plug each in one at a time and test. You might be able to pin point something.

Maybe there was grease/finger print on the bulb to cause the burnt look?

Good call... with the clicking noise it seems there is a ground loop somewhere. By any chance could you show us pictures of your connections for the HIDs and your stereo system? This is usually something I could get solved pretty quickly with the car in front of me, but hard over the internet lol.

OP
OP
hemi1282

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok adurm I'll try that
I'll get pictures as well