Help with 2500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello to everyone, I’m new to the forum and to the ram trucks, so my situation asks for some advice, I been reading a lot amd tried to find the correct parts (springs) but can’t seem to have luck, so I’m the new and proud owner of a 2018 ram 2500 with the 6.7, the reason I bought this truck was to pull my 5th wheel RV, well after buying the truck and the first time I had to move the Rv I realized is not level and is nose high, I already adjusted my hitch, the Rv king pin
and even lifted the trailer, so my other option is to lower the truck about 2in, I been looking for 2500 lowering springs and can’t find any that will work so I was thinking of cutting my springs, if anyone has input on this please help me out, I’m not considering air bags as it a whole new set up and system and cost way more money

Wasn’t sure to post here or in hd let me know

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like your 5th wheel is too heavy for a 2500? What's the weight specs on the trailer?

I've never known anyone to lower the front of a 2500 and I personally don't think that would be a good idea.

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sounds like your 5th wheel is too heavy for a 2500? What's the weight specs on the trailer?

I've never known anyone to lower the front of a 2500 and I personally don't think that would be a good idea.

Sorry I forgot to mention the nose high is on the trailer itsel, the truck bed doesn’t come down much when the weight of the trailer is on it, my truck also has springs on the back, I want to lower my rear end to Help level the trailer, when the trailer is attached my truck looks like it doesn’t have anything on the bed, the front still way lower than the back of the truck, my Rv is only 30ft with a total weight of 9700 lbs and a hitch weight of about 1400lbs what I found out through search is that the Rv itself is designed more towards the 1500 or half ton trucks that’s why instead of trading the Rv in I just need to lower the truck a little I’m halfway done with the hitch reposition and the king ping also

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I completely misunderstood that one Lol.

If the trailer was designed more for a 1500 I can see the issue. Was probably designed to sit more level on a lower 1500 bed so it's going to ride nose high in the higher bed of a 2500.

I don't have any real advise for you on this one? I know Thruren makes a "softer" rear spring that would sag more with the trailer weight But it is a 1" lift spring so that will probably offset the sag you would get from it?
A 2" level kit up front will also bring the bed down a hair in the back (making it more level then raked to the front) but don't think that will solve your problem either?

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you for your input sir, yes that’s exactly what is going on it was meant to ride lower, but I went with the saying of “buy more truck than what you need” lol and it backfired, I called Thuren as I seen about those springs and the rep told me that for my situation he will get the coils but will have to add the air bags and that puts me at a bind with more money into the whole ordeal, I was trying to keep the cost down as I wasn’t expecting this problem with a new truck and my Rv, if you have any experience pros or cons of cutting coils let me know, seems like for now that’s my cheapest route, I’m just a little concerned about safety towing the trailer with cut coils

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sorry I forgot to mention the nose high is on the trailer itsel, the truck bed doesn’t come down much when the weight of the trailer is on it, my truck also has springs on the back, I want to lower my rear end to Help level the trailer, when the trailer is attached my truck looks like it doesn’t have anything on the bed, the front still way lower than the back of the truck, my Rv is only 30ft with a total weight of 9700 lbs and a hitch weight of about 1400lbs what I found out through search is that the Rv itself is designed more towards the 1500 or half ton trucks that’s why instead of trading the Rv in I just need to lower the truck a little I’m halfway done with the hitch reposition and the king ping also

Do an axle over swap on the trailer to raise it to fit the truck.
What I mean is relocate the axle so that the springs are on top of the axle. This will lift the trailer approximately 3” and will not do any harm to any parts. Best of all you shouldn’t have to make a trip to the parts store to get anything.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah you need an trailer equalizer set up and or air bags. You do NOT want to cut the springs.

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Do an axle over swap on the trailer to raise it to fit the truck.
What I mean is relocate the axle so that the springs are on top of the axle. This will lift the trailer approximately 3” and will not do any harm to any parts. Best of all you shouldn’t have to make a trip to the parts store to get anything.

That’s done lol the Axels are already on the under side, that’s how we lifted the trailer

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah you need an trailer equalizer set up and or air bags. You do NOT want to cut the springs.

Yes sir will look into that, I saw the mor/ equalizer not sure if that will lift it hopefully it does and the problem with air bags is most people get them to level their truck after a heavy load is out on it, on my case my 5th wheel is not actually putting most of the hitch weight on the truck as it is nose high, so my truck doesn’t drop much after I hook everything up, even after the jacks are up and the 5th wheel hooked the truck still has the dealer rake where the back is a lot taller than the front, now if that’s my only option I guess I will have to invest into it with a drop air bag suspension

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That’s what it looks like, right now is not as bad as we adjusted the king pin and the 5th wheel hitch but still not level.

AC8739EE-1EAB-4C8B-B405-3BA3AB513C33.jpeg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's always hard to tell from a picture but I just don't see you getting level with that trailer? The truck would be bottomed out (or not enough travel left) before you could get close to level.

What about taller tires on the trailer? Not sure how much room you have to do that or if it would cause other issues with the trailer?

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's always hard to tell from a picture but I just don't see you getting level with that trailer? The truck would be bottomed out (or not enough travel left) before you could get close to level.

What about taller tires on the trailer? Not sure how much room you have to do that or if it would cause other issues with the trailer?

Yea someone pointed that at the Rv place to get larger tires there’s space there to do it, but after all the info I read amd seeing that is not as easy as I believed it would be I’m thinking I might have to end up trading the Rv lol, the guys at the Rv place told me it was more
Of an eye sore since the Rv has some kind of component on the leaf spring that help to put the load on both axels more even but it’s on my head that I want to see it level

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
IDK unless you trade the truck for a Rebel or a 2WD 2500 is about the only way I can think of to get the trailer more level. The 4x4 2500 is about 6-8” taller than a 2WD and the 2wd still has as much capability. JMHO.

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
IDK unless you trade the truck for a Rebel or a 2WD 2500 is about the only way I can think of to get the trailer more level. The 4x4 2500 is about 6-8” taller than a 2WD and the 2wd still has as much capability. JMHO.

I wasn’t aware of that I’ll check the specs on the springs for both models if that’s the case then sounds like I might be able to swap the springs of one of those to mine and bring the back end down a little, I’m sure this has nothing to do with anything but today my one of my coworkers drove his lifted truck and decided to park next to mine, his is a Newer style Chevrolet with a 6in lift (that’s what he said when I asked) and the rear of both trucks were the same height I’m aware of it being a 1500 and also a different make but if put me in perspective that this new a trcuks have a high back end lol

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I wasn’t aware of that I’ll check the specs on the springs for both models if that’s the case then sounds like I might be able to swap the springs of one of those to mine and bring the back end down a little, I’m sure this has nothing to do with anything but today my one of my coworkers drove his lifted truck and decided to park next to mine, his is a Newer style Chevrolet with a 6in lift (that’s what he said when I asked) and the rear of both trucks were the same height I’m aware of it being a 1500 and also a different make but if put me in perspective that this new a trcuks have a high back end lol

I wasn’t saying anything about swapping out springs I was meaning to trade your truck for either that I mentioned. 2WD Ram 2500 or the Ram Rebel.
Sorry for the miscommunication

ford40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I cut to coils of my 2014 2500 the day I pick it up
The top two coils do nothing but take up space when the truck is sating there.
I had to relocate my shocks so the springs didn't fall out when on a lift.

OP
OP
S

Shooter4thgen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi I cut to coils of my 2014 2500 the day I pick it up
The top two coils do nothing but take up space when the truck is sating there.
I had to relocate my shocks so the springs didn't fall out when on a lift.

You cut your rear coils? How did that affected the ride or anything? Any cons you can think of? Bouncy ride or anything? And you mean when the suspension is free of weight like frame on jacks the coils fall off? If that’s the only con I don’t mind it lol,

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you take a picture of the 5th wheel hitch - both truck and trailer? There is usually some height adjustability on the hitch to account for the differences in truck ride height.

I would NOT cut the springs. This does more than change the ride height - it changes the spring rate. You would have a must stiffer ride as a result.

One other option is to swap out your 5th wheel hitch over to a king pin style hitch. Those have more height adjustments.