HELP!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well , what started out as an annoyance is now a seemingly insurmountable problem. I have an '09 TRX4 that had a TIPM problem that caused a short. I found and fixed the short and went through the harness checking fuses and relays with the help of a couple ASME mechanics. I wound up replacing the PCM, ABS control module, and the TIPM in addition to the rear bulbs and sockets and brake pedal switch. I had the truck towed to a dealer to have the TIPM and ABS control flashed and an open recall fixed the the shift interlock. The service manager called and said he wasn't charging me because there was nothing they could do! They were unable to communicate with the truck. I've only got 68k miles on this. I know the TIPM was bad because my windows would roll down by themselves and the door locks acted haunted. The windows rolled down during a rainstorm and my electronic trailer brake module shorted out. I removed it and went from having a third brake light that stayed on with the key out to no brake lights at all. That was the start

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry but I don't think anybody here can help you fix the truck. The dealership punted it because they don't want to spend hours trying to figure out what went wrong with the "repairs" and then have you get upset over a $600+ bill just for diagnosis.
If you're willing to bite the bullet and pay somebody to fix the truck talk to Eric at South Main Auto in Avoca or Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics who enjoy figuring out problems like yours and the truck might even show up on YouTube :)

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ this is probably the best advice.
When I was a tech, we used to laugh at getting a "car in a box" as we called it - when someone (owner or other shop) was way over their ability to fix it.
Hopefully you still have the original PCM.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked your door harness at the door jamb? Worth a look. I had a VW car that I checked not that long ago (due to ongoing door/window & lock spooks) ....and EACH one of the 24 wires in that harness bundle at the door jamb had cracked plastic and two had broken an frayed. In other words every wire, had a cracked jacket in the door jamb area from years of bending. The issue is more of a problem in the cold weather, but even in warm weather it can be a problem. The frayed ends of the wires that were actually broken were able to touch and contact (on occasion) other wires with bare spots, and that was making things seem crazy.

Because you are in Buffalo, where it gets really cold in the winter, I would check those wires if you haven't (for cracked plastic or broken wires). Doesn't take long. Even if a scanner says they're good, that doesn't mean 'bare wires' can't touch others on occasion. If you find they all look good, then check connectors nearby which may have gotten wet/corroded.

Secondly, is there a chance rodents may have chewed wires on your truck?

OP
OP
R

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've gone the the whole electric system with the help of an ASME tech. The problem as Paco stated is the dealer doesn't want to take the time to go through it. I'll gladly pay the money to have the truck fixed. I'm having it towed to a different dealer tomorrow. The only independent I talked to that has the equipment to flash the ABS control module and TIPM claims Mopar crashed their system on the last update and he can't connect yet .

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you're willing to bite the bullet and pay somebody to fix the truck talk to Eric at South Main Auto in Avoca or Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics who enjoy figuring out problems like yours and the truck might even show up on YouTube :)
^^^^^This^^^^^
Eric O knows his stuff.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
South Main Auto IS NOT in Canada. Its in Avoca, NY and located south of Rochester just off I-390 just before Bath, New York.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74263 miles

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
South Main Auto is ~100 miles SE of Buffalo in Avoca, NY state.
But don't blink or you may miss it. After years of watching his videos, and all the test drives he's done around town, it doesn't look very big.

OP
OP
R

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I appreciate the info. I just had it towed to a dealer willing to work on it. I know I'm looking at a $1000+ bill but that's better than having to buy a new truck. I just got approved for SSDI so maybe that will help.

OP
OP
R

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The dealer was able to find an actual Mopar Tipm that was out of state. I told him to have it overnighted in, It's been installed which allowed the dealer's computers to communicate and update the system. So far everything is working except one setting on the fan switch for the Air/heat. I doubt this has anything to do with the rest. $1765.00 from the dealer but worth it considering what another truck would have cost me! The Dorman remanufactured TIPM that I got from AutoZone is going back for a refund.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh boy,I feel your pain...I replaced tipm last year..started out as rt front headlight stopped working...no electrician by any means..watched a few vids checked connections and found burnt connectors inside....more research and I knew what it was, took it to the dealer...they found it with same tests I did probing...long story short almost $1k and it was fixed...did not like that bill......Dorman products are not the best stuff on the electronics side also

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I've gone the the whole electric system with the help of an ASME tech. The problem as Paco stated is the dealer doesn't want to take the time to go through it. I'll gladly pay the money to have the truck fixed. I'm having it towed to a different dealer tomorrow. The only independent I talked to that has the equipment to flash the ABS control module and TIPM claims Mopar crashed their system on the last update and he can't connect yet .
I typically don't defend dealers, however in this case I suspect that its not that the dealer "doesn't want to take the time". It's more in line with, "the time it will take" to t-shoot will cost you a fortune at dealership labor rates. There is an additional risk of a multi-factor failure i.e. its not a singular fault, it is multiple faults. This makes it very difficult if not impossible to "guarantee' their work. To a dealer, this is one of the highest risk factor repairs and the potential to for the tech and the shop to loose their a** and you to be extremally unhappy if they don't nail it on the first time. Not saying I agree with their decision however, you have to look at it from their position.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I typically don't defend dealers, however in this case I suspect that its not that the dealer "doesn't want to take the time". It's more in line with, "the time it will take" to t-shoot will cost you a fortune at dealership labor rates. There is an additional risk of a multi-factor failure i.e. its not a singular fault, it is multiple faults. This makes it very difficult if not impossible to "guarantee' their work. To a dealer, this is one of the highest risk factor repairs and the potential to for the tech and the shop to loose their a** and you to be extremally unhappy if they don't nail it on the first time. Not saying I agree with their decision however, you have to look at it from their position.
Really good comment, Ron.

There are a lot of pressures on dealership service organizations and they can become very fearful of making a customer unhappy, especially if the technical staff can't afford to get hung up one one vehicle with high labor hours.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74702 miles

OP
OP
R

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All's well that ends well. The 2nd dealer I had it towed to had already discussed it with his head techs and they were willing to tackle it. They even complimented me on the written history of what I did to run down the initial problem and the work I did. Hours wise it didn't take them long after receiving the new TIPM and everything is working as it should. I only wish the first dealer would have been up front with me but I was able to use my AAA the first tow. I added towing to my insurance for $12 and that covered my 2nd tow. This 2nd dealer won my business for my next purchase.