Hemi Hydraulic Lifter designs explained

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Thanks for this, very good information!!!!

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
That’s why I stay off Facebook Rick, just unemployed conspiracy theories galore.

unless MMX has a dog in the fight with a sponsor but the differences are right there

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That’s why I stay off Facebook Rick, just unemployed conspiracy theories galore.

unless MMX has a dog in the fight with a sponsor but the differences are right there

Apparently you need a cam with over 685 lift to uncover those holes Tim,nobody but the high end guys who are spinning a Hemi to 9,000 rpm has a cam with in excess of 685 lift. After that video hit,guys started posting up their oil pressures at 7,000 rpm using the TSP lifters and they're still running 70 psi of pressure.The general consensus is MMX is feeling a money pinch,and this video was made to generate sales for Webber/MMX. One guy even put Webber on the spot and he had to admit they hadn't actually tested this theory in real life,and they might have to go back to the drawing board and do an actual test on a running engine,besides who uses a cheap leak down garden sprayer for a oil pressure bleed down test,lol. Bleed down lifters are nothing new,they've been around since the mid 70's,i used to run them in my radical big block Chevy's back in the day,they made a wild cam semi livable on the street,they were called Rhoads lifters back then,lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I’ll dig later but are there any passage differences in the Melling 2016+ Lifters vs 2010-2015?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Apparently you need a cam with over 685 lift to uncover those holes Tim,nobody but the high end guys who are spinning a Hemi to 9,000 rpm has a cam with in excess of 685 lift. After that video hit,guys started posting up their oil pressures at 7,000 rpm using the TSP lifters and they're still running 70 psi of pressure.The general consensus is MMX is feeling a money pinch,and this video was made to generate sales for Webber/MMX. One guy even put Webber on the spot and he had to admit they hadn't actually tested this theory in real life,and they might have to go back to the drawing board and do an actual test on a running engine,besides who uses a cheap leak down garden sprayer for a oil pressure bleed down test,lol. Bleed down lifters are nothing new,they've been around since the mid 70's,i used to run them in my radical big block Chevy's back in the day,they made a wild cam semi livable on the street,they were called Roads lifters back then,lol
I remember a certain brand (can't recall name) back in the 80's that came out with a hydraulic lifter that was suppose to have a different bleed down rate that would allow sb chevys to run around 75000.
Was suppose to bleed off like a solid lifter at high rpm & build pressure at low rpm.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/01/hydraulic-camshafts-and-lifters-101/

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I remember a certain brand (can't recall name) back in the 80's that came out with a hydraulic lifter that was suppose to have a different bleed down rate that would allow sb chevys to run around 75000.
Was suppose to bleed off like a solid lifter at high rpm & build pressure at low rpm.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/01/hydraulic-camshafts-and-lifters-101/

You're close CJ,except opposite,they were called Rhoads lifters back in the day,and they bled off/leaked down at lower rpm,and pumped up at higher rpm. The idea was they'd bleed down and allow more plunger movement at low rpm,which in turn reduced duration and overall valve lift,as the rpm came up they would pump up and then supply all the lift and duration that had been ground into the cam. They'd make a radical cam semi livable on the street,it wouldn't be a great cam at low rpm,but it'd mean the difference in getting across an intersection if the light went red,lol

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You're close CJ,except opposite,they were called Rhoads lifters back in the day,and they bled off/leaked down at lower rpm,and pumped up at higher rpm. The idea was they'd bleed down and allow more plunger movement at low rpm,which in turn reduced duration and overall valve lift,as the rpm came up they would pump up and then supply all the lift and duration that had been ground into the cam. They'd make a radical cam semi livable on the street,it wouldn't be a great cam at low rpm,but it'd mean the difference in getting across an intersection if the light went red,lol
Yep, you are right.....ass backwards as usual....light came on as soon as I seen the brand....LoL