HEMI no start, WATER in OIL, Diagnosing Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So here is my truck, I'm new here. I have lurked quite a while just never had an issue pop up where I really needed to register. 07 5.7 ... you know the deal.... Had it for a few years just now has 155k on it. Been a great truck.
20220617_171928.jpg
MY ISSUE SUMMARY:
Basically it was a cold 9 degree night & I had the munchies. I took the truck out at 2am to waffle house. It did fine on the way, I got my food. I left. On the way back the temp guage snuck up into the RED & the truck started flashing the engine light. I noticed it then, pulled over. Let it cool for a few minutes.

(Truck had a slow leak at the top of the radiator & as a result I had been topping it off with water about every 4 days. Amateur mistake but I am pretty sure I had flushed all the antifreeze out of it by the time winter really set in & I just hadnt prioritized ordering the radiator like I should have.)

After it cooled off, I started it back up and drove home another 8-9 minutes. IT RAN FINE.
I parked it in the yard & shut her down for the night. The NEXT day it had warmed up again to about 40 degrees, bad temp swings here in NC. I went to start it and it just spun, no fire. Spun freely, starter engaged, no fire, like no compression. Got to looking around noticed the freeze/core plugs on the back/front of the head(s) were pushed out & leaking water after getting under the truck.

I wondered if somehow this had also made the timing tensioner break & somehow caused it to go out of time. Because it would spin, but no fire except for after about 3 attempts you'd hear like a little pop coming out of the tail pipe. You know like it was out of time & I had heard of timing tensioner issues before from hemis. I was pretty busy with things so I just drove my expedition until it warmed up.

**The truck sat like this for about 2 months untouched. It warmed up & I finally decided I could begin working on it. I had also periodically checked the oil level during the time it sat. I noticed it was getting higher & higher. I was afraid this meant water was settling in the bottom of the pan. But the dilusional part of me wanted to believe this was not the case.

I started taking it apart, got down to the timing chain area, went ahead drained the oil also. To my horror, but not really surprise, this comes out the oil pan for about 6 or 7 seconds before the actual oil came out. I could do nothing but take a photo & remorse for a few moments over what was happening.
20230326_192257.jpg
I left the drain plug off after it all drained out, and after taking the timing cover off. The timing chain looked nice, the tensioner doesnt seem to have skipped a beat anywhere. So the no start, free spin with occasional pop through the tail pipe has to be from either a blown head gasket, or what I REALLY hope it is not, a cracked block I guess right? Its obvious water settled down into the pan over the 2 month sitting period. So I am at the point where I have to figure out what is exactly going on before dropping 2k on a used motor assembly.

20230329_154807.jpg
I noticed that when I put some water into the water pump holes, obviously it leaks out of the plugs but it also trickles out of the oil pan drain hole when I do this. Thats squirting a light little stream of water into the water pump holes on both sides, does the same thing = little trickle out of the oil pan drain hole.

What are the chances this is a blown head gasket issue from the overheat & not a cracked block?
I'll be pulling the heads soon but just trying to get prepared. Outside of this the truck has always ran great for 5+ years now.

THanks for reading!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what i think happened from what you are saying you had a coolant leak kept adding regular water froze the block popped a freeze out plugs possibly cracked block somewhere. Then you overheated bad and cooked the motor/warped the heads time for a engine swap unfortunately dont think your going to save this one at least used hemis for a 3rd gen are not to hard to find and cheap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jezebel

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what i think happened from what you are saying you had a coolant leak kept adding regular water froze the block popped a freeze out plugs possibly cracked block somewhere. Then you overheated bad and cooked the motor/warped the heads time for a engine swap unfortunately dont think your going to save this one at least used hemis for a 3rd gen are not to hard to find and cheap.

No it overheated one time, on a very cold night. Then wouldn't start the next day. Plugs came out after it was parked. Like over the next couple of nights when it wasn't being driven.

Also , hemis are very hard to find around here. So much so that I will have to order a 2000$ offline used. Called 20 yards, searched marketplace listing lthere are none. Been searching for 2 weeks. And they aren't cheap either. You must live in a totally different area.

I highly doubt the motor was cooked. After it ran hot for a few seconds, I shut it down. I think it got hot because the water literally wasnt thawed enough to flow. I let it cool and drove home. It wasn't running hot when I pulled in. It was normal temp when parked which was also interesting. Gage was right in the middle like it normally ran.

It only heated up briefly. Still had water in it, except it was leaking from the freshly popped freeze plugs because it was very cold, abnormally 16 degrees cold for a couple nights after that. But it wasn't driven anymore after the initial heat up. And the plugs were in tact until it froze up over night a couple more times & they popped themselves out. But it already wasn't starting when that happened.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Put a fork in this engine, it's done.
Find another.

You just paid for an Education, in the Value of Preventative Maintenance & Timely Repair vs Fixing What Fails, Afterwards.
Be Thankful the lesson was relatively Cheap and not on a newish $50K Truck.

Online Listing of Junk Yard Parts for sale.

can be area specific, if you wish.
Loads better than calling local junk yards.
Might have to drive a hundred miles but for the right part, worth it.

Truck looks clean.
Might want to take this opportunity to rebuild whatever engine you do find and just start a new drive train .
Engine, Tranny, Rear end.

There a few things nicer, than having a 15 yr old truck, that has a brand spanking new drive train.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try the website linked above its all the junk yards linked together I usually find good deals on hemis on craigslist or facebook out of wrecks ect.

OP
OP
Jezebel

Jezebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the 3rd gen styling better than the 4th. So if anything I'd get another 3rd gen. The new **** breaks more than I care to deal with. I put this 3rd through alot of towing & 4x4 operating and it never skipped a beat, dropped a cam, or broke in half.... wouldn't waste 50g on a "new" ram.. it's pretty clear they don't make them very well any more.

Been on Craig's list & Facebook... lol... damn no wonder nobody likes ram owners.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

This is clearly not a tech minded forum and the best analysis anyone can say is basically throw it away & start over Ill let you know if you guys were wrong or not and if i had to stick forks in anything after I get the heads off.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the 3rd gen styling better than the 4th. So if anything I'd get another 3rd gen. The new **** breaks more than I care to deal with. I put this 3rd through alot of towing & 4x4 operating and it never skipped a beat, dropped a cam, or broke in half.... wouldn't waste 50g on a "new" ram.. it's pretty clear they don't make them very well any more.

Been on Craig's list & Facebook... lol... damn no wonder nobody likes ram owners.

This is clearly not a tech minded forum and the best analysis anyone can say is basically throw it away & start over Ill let you know if you guys were wrong or not and if i had to stick forks in anything after I get the heads off.
I am a dodge mechanic have worked tons of 5.7 hemis You froze the block enough it blew the plugs and most likely cracked its done simple as that you leart your lesson. You can not overheat modern engines without warping heads and blowing head gaskets at a minimum everyone no matter what forum will give you the same awnser best of luck buddy.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a Mechanic and have been for 50yrs, you adding water every time it needed it, instead of replacing the radiator like you should have, you froze the block, your expansion plugs blew out probably cracking the engine block and or cylinder heads, yes, your engine is fork split done!!!

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine

Another mechanic chiming in here (dad is also a 50+ year mechanic). Going through winter with a coolant leak, you should've been topping it up using coolant/antifreeze instead of water. What was stated above is 100% accurate tech, you overheated it and *most likely* warped the heads/popped the head gaskets (not 100% of the time but very likely). As you said, it was probably already frozen before that. Then after you parked it, the water you've been topping it up with froze in the block (again) which pushed out the freeze plugs and cracked the block. If it ONLY pushed out the freeze plugs, you wouldn't be getting water out of the oil drain plug when sticking a hose in the water pump holes, it would only come out the freeze plugs. Water galleys don't go into the crank case. As stated above, that motor is done for.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basic science, water expands when it freezes. Freeze plugs pushed out and leaking water is an extremely bad sign, as is water coming out of your oil pan from the water pump. Never underestimate the power of water. No easy fix on this one, sorry mate. But please share photos of the motor maybe we're all wrong and you hit the lottery of luckiness.
Beautiful truck by the way!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Water freezes at 32f, 0 c and breaks blocks. When you see frost plugs popped, you know it froze. will not be a blown gaskets, head or block or both ate buggered.
Buy a new motor.
I have seen old motors , tractors with welded up blocks from freezing , but not with these motors. I have welded manifolds, never did a block.

Last edited: