hemi noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumpyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My stepson is looking at a 2019 1500 with 5.7 , I wasn't there but he said on start up there was a loud ticking noise that lasted for 5 or 6 minutes before they shut it off , they wouldn.t let him test drive it until they checked it out , it has 39000 miles on it and I talked to the previous owner and he said he never heard anything but he is not mechanically inclined and might not have noticed it , we found out it had been sitting for approx 2 months and he then got an e-mail from them that just driving it from the lot to the shop it had quieted down alot and that is about 25 yards , I know sitting will allow oil yo drain and cause lifter tap at start up but I don.t think it should take 5 minutes to quiet down unless it was just because it only idled , anyone have this kind of experience or thoughts , it is chrysler certified with 7 year 100000 mile warranty but I dont know if it covers 100% of repairs , dont want him to get stuck spending money on a bad truck , being a cop in this day and age he has enough to worry about.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do that sometimes...it's from the sitting... they don't do it every time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It'***** or miss with Hemi's. Could be from sitting too long. Most likely, not an issue. But could be an early sign of camshaft and lifter failure. Having the warranty is a huge plus and yes it should cover drivetrain repair.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't worry about it personally, but I would do a couple of quick oil changes - within 3000 miles or so.
I would also use a quart of Rislone to gently clean the motor - but that's just me.

If the price is right, maybe try to get them to throw in a maxcare extended warranty on it - as well as the certified warranty.

If you get a collapsed lifter from sitting and all you do is idle, it can take a while to pump up and settle down - driving it speeds it up.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
could be broken exhaust manifold bolts as well. At idle it could take 10 minutes of so before the manifold expands enough to seal up.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Run away, lifers can bleed down from sitting too long...only 2 or 3 second to pump back up.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's called hemi tick and there are two causes lifters or bolts, I would never buy a hemi with hemi tick either way, find another truck. I bet that is why the owner traded it in in the first place.

If you love the truck offer 3 grand less and let them know you know about hemi tick. If you buy the truck pm me as Ram forum has done some work on lubricating hemi tick.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For sure on that and I really doubt any 2019 Ram 1500 hasn't been started/moved in months in today's truck market.
I tend to agree here. 5-6 minutes seems a bit excessive. When my manifold bolt was broken, mine ticked for 2-3 minutes. I would go look at it. You should be able to tell by listening if its a manifold or a engine tick.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I tend to agree here. 5-6 minutes seems a bit excessive. When my manifold bolt was broken, mine ticked for 2-3 minutes. I would go look at it. You should be able to tell by listening if its a manifold or a engine tick.

Not uncommon for 2-3 manifold studs to break. My 2013 with 3 broken studs on one side would tick for a solid 10 minutes before the manifold expanded enough to seal up.

Be lucky yall don't have 6.4's. My new truck sounds like dog **** on a cold start. Squeaky ticky mess.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Assuming this is a 2019 classic, I'd be curious to know if it's got the tie-bars between the exhaust manifold bolts and the manifold. Mine does. I haven't heard of any of those breaking bolts yet. Key word being yet.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have a video of what my truck sounds like after a couple months sitting but I can’t figure out how to add it to the post.:mad:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My stepson is looking at a 2019 1500 with 5.7 , I wasn't there but he said on start up there was a loud ticking noise that lasted for 5 or 6 minutes before they shut it off , they wouldn.t let him test drive it until they checked it out , it has 39000 miles on it and I talked to the previous owner and he said he never heard anything but he is not mechanically inclined and might not have noticed it , we found out it had been sitting for approx 2 months and he then got an e-mail from them that just driving it from the lot to the shop it had quieted down alot and that is about 25 yards , I know sitting will allow oil yo drain and cause lifter tap at start up but I don.t think it should take 5 minutes to quiet down unless it was just because it only idled , anyone have this kind of experience or thoughts , it is chrysler certified with 7 year 100000 mile warranty but I dont know if it covers 100% of repairs , dont want him to get stuck spending money on a bad truck , being a cop in this day and age he has enough to worry about.
He should buy this,it comes with a warranty.nothing to worry about.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Wh
He should buy this,it comes with a warranty.nothing to worry about.
Why would you buy a truck with a known problem? FCA has been known to say "it's normal, no problem" and not fix the "hemi tick" (if that what it is) under warranty. Just doesn't make sense, look for one without a problem.