HEMI tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Here's mine lifter tick for sure, mind you it is not very bad because I went with redline 10w30, but you can kinda here the difference, especially under the truck near the cam. When I went to 5w30 redline the engine went silent, but you can here a minor lifter tick on the 10w30, when I was using other oils it was much worse but I don't have a recording. With lifter tick there tends to be a tap, and exhaust tends to be a whoosh, but it is sometimes very hard to differentiate.

I might consider taking it out of the garage and video/audio from under truck, there is some feedback with that.

Yeah, there's an obvious difference between your lifter tick and my possible manifold leak. Regardless, I am really leaning towards Redline once I start doing my own oil changes again. I primarily used Mobile 1 full synthetic in the past.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
jrod, leaning toward exhaust leak. Lifter and exhaust leak "can" sound alike. One way that it is easy to determine. When you start in the morning and hear a screech/hiss (your pfff description is good while on high idle. When it stops, put your foot on the brake and put it in gear. If it comes back,,, 95% certain exhaust leak. Also you can take a socket and ratchet to the passenger side exhaust manifold. If you can turn the bolts easily, they are broken. The lifter to push rod tick displays on cold start for a few seconds and does not come back once the oil gets to the lifter,,most of the time. My ears could not hear what you are hearing in your video. You have confidence in your dealer. It should be the first thing they check, both sides.

Me too, I'm only at 39k miles so I am going to give my dealership the opportunity to turn wrenches before I do. I'm guessing it should be covered under my power train warranty if there's an issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you look at h395's and RLK's uoa's with long term use of redline 5w30, looks very impressive. Cam is protected with the stout moly and zinc levels, and wear numbers drop like a rock with long term use. The only downside would be sometime you "might" need a CAT replacement, basically an 80 dollar part. I say might because redline's levels are similar to the 2004 spec oil 1200ppm zinc, and there weren't a lot of CATS going out back then, so I say might. Small price to pay to give extra protection for cam/lifters imo.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Reading these threads, the Redline 5w30 sounds awesome! Where is the best/cheapest place to get this oil? Also the best place to get the Royal Purple oil filters? I've always been a Mobil 1 guy.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What that guy said^^^ Nick will save you a couple bucks off posted price on redline and I believe sometimes he has free shipping. I'd get a least a case of 12.

That price is through his PM, and something he does for Ram forum. That's what I gather from the entire group of guys that buy from him here.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
10k miles on "whatever" the dealership puts in it is a bad idea imo. Stick with the 5k oci.

Actually, dealers are required to use Chrysler-specific and certified motor oils and it is one of the items the field reps check at each visit to the dealer. The factory motor oil is a custom semi-synthetic blend. My dealer buys it in bulk (200 gallon storage tanks), and currently has Penzoil products in quart and gallon containers. A few years ago they carried Valvoline, but I no longer see it there.

If a dealer is using something else he's playing for margin and risks being de-certified.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004898 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What it sounds like

That sure sounds like an exhaust leak.

regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004898 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There have been six Hemi Rams in my family, years 2007 and up. Only one had what is commonly referred to as a "hemi tick," unrelated to broken exhaust manifold bolts or studs. There are all kinds of theories on what it is, from valve train to oil pressure to oil to timing chains, etc.

The lone offending 5.7 was passed on from one son to another. Upon the first oil change my second son used a Mopar oil filter.

The so-called hemi tick has not since reappeared.

Regards,
Dusty

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JROD, Check your service ticket. The dealer will routinely put in 5W-20 synthetic blend (what is in the bulk tanks). I get $18.00 oil changes at my DEALERSHIP, and my SA knows to have full synthetic put in, so I PAY the difference to get the 5W-20 full synthetic, just all IMHO,,,,,

Added: ***** that 10K recommendation, not a Diesel ED, I do every 5K... Again IMHO

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sure sounds like an exhaust leak.

regards,
Dusty

Yup, that not Hemi Tick, exhaust leak either at manifold or maybe lower at Y joint, IMHO.....

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't been given a reason to be paranoid by what my dealership uses. I usually don't worry about what I use till my service plans run out. Before I jump to dealership conclusions, I will say the dealership I go to has been awesome so far. Hopefully the trend continues.

The oil at most dealership is a mix blend of regular and synthetic

mhud59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It sounds like a lifter bleeding down after shut down. the hydraulic lifter bleeds down and leaves play in the lifter/pushrod/rocker arm area and on start up it is pumped back up after running awhile and the noise usually quits. that is if it isnt stuck then it leaves too much play between rod and rocker. the saure fix is to replace it.

OP
OP
Jrod

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Well, the service tech confirmed at least 2 broken bolts on the passenger side manifold. The mechanic was still working on removing the manifold when I ran into the service tech. He said it was going to take a while so I came back home. They’re also addressing two recalls and my 40k service. So all in all not a bad way to burn some use or lose time off today. Now I’m just waiting for the call to go back and pick her up.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Outstanding, glad the issue was found and work being done to resolve...:893karatesmiley-thu

Justin Anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got my 2009 ram 1500 used. About a year after my purchase I noticed the hemi tick and like everyone else the Boise would go away after a few min. Now the sound stays and it's a speratic taping.

Tap,tap,tap.....Tap,tap.....taptaptap .tap.....tap

My buddies first thought it was unrelated then and sounded like a pully. But I think it's still the hemi tick just worse now. Because now it will not stop even after engineer worm up.

I have the parts from Mopar to fix the leak and replace the bolts, I'm just hoping that sound is from the manfold leak and not a rod or something .

Anyone have any insite on their ram ticking and continuung to tick ?