HemiFever Tune + Long tubes + custom program = Passing Emissions test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here in Maryland, they use an OBDIII ( or is it OBDII) connection to test your emissions.
Have the below mods and they plugged the truck in and then ran it for about 30 seconds.
It passed with no problems.

So, hopefully this can help out someone on the fence when it comes to considering emissions testing and aftermarket parts/tunes.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you have cats? If no did you get the rear o2s turned off or used non foulers?

OP
OP
R

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do have cats and yes, Sean did turn off the rear o2 sensors since I initially had the CEL on.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Do you have pics of your headers installed looking in from under the hood? How much of them can you see?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Cool! But i find that strange they dont care or didnt see the non functioning rear o2s

They probably just check the check engine and mode 06 then on to the next lol

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad I don't have to deal with emissions ********* here in Florida. My truck would fail like hell!!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Cool! But i find that strange they dont care or didnt see the non functioning rear o2s

They probably just check the check engine and mode 06 then on to the next lol

If there turned off in the PCM=no CEL= they will never know. How can they? They don't use tuners to do emissions test. Just a simple OBDII scanner.

It's pretty lax in Louisiana too..
As long as you don't throw any codes and your tints no too dark they will pass you.

There's no sniff test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have pics of your headers installed looking in from under the hood? How much of them can you see?
No, but I can get one when it stops raining.

If there turned off in the PCM=no CEL= they will never know. How can they? They don't use tuners to do emissions test. Just a simple OBDII scanner.

right- they plug it in, use a mirror on wheels to look underneath the truck and the computer they use just puts out "pass"
I am certain the guys working there wouldn't know what headers were if I dropped one on their foot.

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Longtubes in ca

Here in Maryland, they use an OBDIII ( or is it OBDII) connection to test your emissions.
Have the below mods and they plugged the truck in and then ran it for about 30 seconds.
It passed with no problems.

So, hopefully this can help out someone on the fence when it comes to considering emissions testing and aftermarket parts/tunes.

Hey retiredfireman, did u smog truck with 89/91 octane hemifever tune? Did your emissions test include sniffer test with a sensor connected to exhaust tips? I live in ca & trinity is only for "off road" use so I was told before I smog truck return to stock tune. I want get longtubes but dnt know if I'll pass, all this info is very helpful. Thank you!

Stainless Works Exhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never a set answer to whole emissions testing scenario, we have heard so many stories, but must say more of "passing" emissions than "not passing". Then again it really all depends on the testing facility and the person doing the actual inspection. With that said we always stress to run hi-flow converters as the vehicle tends to run a little better by burning off the excess exhaust gasses.

On my personal vehicles, if I wasn't able to pass emissions with my long tubes and tune, I would spend a few hours and go back to stock for testing purpose then re-install the tune and long-tubes, yes its a pain, but the joy of the excess power and wonderful music of the healthy exhaust note was worth it...just my 2¢

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
No, but I can get one when it stops raining.

right- they plug it in, use a mirror on wheels to look underneath the truck and the computer they use just puts out "pass"
I am certain the guys working there wouldn't know what headers were if I dropped one on their foot.

Thanks! But it doesn't stop raining in Maryland until about June.

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never a set answer to whole emissions testing scenario, we have heard so many stories, but must say more of "passing" emissions than "not passing". Then again it really all depends on the testing facility and the person doing the actual inspection. With that said we always stress to run hi-flow converters as the vehicle tends to run a little better by burning off the excess exhaust gasses.

On my personal vehicles, if I wasn't able to pass emissions with my long tubes and tune, I would spend a few hours and go back to stock for testing purpose then re-install the tune and long-tubes, yes its a pain, but the joy of the excess power and wonderful music of the healthy exhaust note was worth it...just my 2¢

So much work.... If I know my vehicle won't pass, I just buy the sticker. :rotflmao:

OP
OP
R

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey retiredfireman, did u smog truck with 89/91 octane hemifever tune? Did your emissions test include sniffer test with a sensor connected to exhaust tips? I live in ca & trinity is only for "off road" use so I was told before I smog truck return to stock tune. I want get longtubes but dnt know if I'll pass, all this info is very helpful. Thank you!

I cannot even begin to guess about California's Smog stuff. I do know what I went thru here in Maryland, and I do hear that CA is way stricter.

I did have the 93 tune installed, no sniffer test was done, just the OBDII connection while running.

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
seeing as how i work at a state inspection station i am faced everyday with people using cheap tuners to turn off CEL. those cars fail. real tuners pass everytime.

Fake as in EBAY superchips and what not.