Hesitation with Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris dawson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 5.7 with a few minor upgrades: CAI, JBA shorty headers, FLowmaster CAT back exhaust, Diablo tuner w/ 87 oct tune. My truck has 330,000 miles on it. I replaced the motor and transmission at 312,000 miles for a Jasper motor and transmission.
Here is my problem:
Whenever I accelerate hard, I get a very noticeable hesitation around 3000-45000 RPMs. It almost feels like turbo lag, but I don't have a turbo. I'm starting to notice it more and more even on lighter accelerations. It was doing this before I swapped the engine, so I know that's not the problem. It seems to me like it might be a fuel issue. The fuel pump, injectors, and coil packs are all original so they all have 330k miles on them. I should have replaced them all when I replaced the motor, but I didn't even think about it.

Any thoughts?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Try an easy thing first. Pull the intake hose off the throttle body and check the condition of the throttle body. It might need to be cleaned. I'd pull it and clean both ends.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm guessing 330k is well past the injectors' lifespan & they should be replaced.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Considering you say you are making good power at the low end and it's falling off at the top end. I am assuming you're not using a custom tune but rather a can tune. You may want to look at your tune in that rpm range and shift points. From your description you seem mechanically sound, your just falling at the top end. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 did this, looks like you have tuner you can increase the throttle response with it. Or a pedal commander will do the same thing.

broken arrow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
question if i pulled pretty much every fuse in the fuse box would it need to be reprogrammed 5.7 6 speed ?

beachbummer0069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 5.7 with a few minor upgrades: CAI, JBA shorty headers, FLowmaster CAT back exhaust, Diablo tuner w/ 87 oct tune. My truck has 330,000 miles on it. I replaced the motor and transmission at 312,000 miles for a Jasper motor and transmission.
Here is my problem:
Whenever I accelerate hard, I get a very noticeable hesitation around 3000-45000 RPMs. It almost feels like turbo lag, but I don't have a turbo. I'm starting to notice it more and more even on lighter accelerations. It was doing this before I swapped the engine, so I know that's not the problem. It seems to me like it might be a fuel issue. The fuel pump, injectors, and coil packs are all original so they all have 330k miles on them. I should have replaced them all when I replaced the motor, but I didn't even think about it.

Any thoughts?
I know this is an old post. Chris did you ever figure out the issue? Mine just started doing it couple weeks ago with the hesitation and will not throw a code.

sscottdeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have close to same issue. Power comes and goes in a very constant pattern if going up a hill or getting on it a bit. No codes