Hey all!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atacama

Reaction score

Long time coming. I decided now is the time for my first truck. A couple of questions I could use some help with.

Fell in love with the Dakota in the late 90s when I saw one while my dad was driving us around town. I decided now's the time when I can still enjoy the damn thing while I'm semi-young (lol) enough (43).

When I build the truck on Ram's website, are dealers required to adhere to the MSRP given after I'm finished building the thing? Like, a Big Horn w/ the 12" screen package & dual pane sunroof are around 51k. Is that realistic? They also have a 0.9% APR for 60 months on Big Horns and Laramies. I'm perfectly fine with a Big Horn and the options I would select. Is it up to the dealer whether or not to give that incentive? My credit is great. I plan on getting approved by a local credit union before I talk w/ any of these dudes, any other tips? I've read on here to register your stuff on Ram and you can get a $500 incentive you'd need to show the dealership at purchase time. Is that still a thing, and are there other moves out there?

I plan on keeping and maintaining this thing for a long long time. The cheaper option is obviously the Pentastar v6 but I'm tempted by the Ecodiesel as someone on this forum has claimed up to 32-34mpg with his. I know that is subjective and based on various other factors. Realistically, I will probably drive this thing for around 6-8k per year. The most use it will get will be the two trips (maybe more as my relatives get older) a year from Knoxville down to Louisiana, and other than that it's the random quick trips (15-30min) around town a handful times a month. FWIW I've had my 08 Mariner for 11 years and I've put 50k miles on it.

TLDR:

Main concern is not getting the pricing that shows on a finished build on Rams website, their APR promotion and whether or not an Ecodiesel is worth it in the long run based on 6-8K miles driven per year. Any insights would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

Post your question in the 5th generation section and you will get tons of help.

Red

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Do some searching and you’ll find some dealers selling below MSRP on ordered trucks. I bought mine last year from dealer inventory for MSRP, so not all dealers are gouging.

You’ll want to do the math on whatever incentives are on the table because in a lot of offers it’s discounted interest OR a cash rebate. Or in some cases there’s a discount to use Chrysler financing. Just run the numbers each way and see what it totals when it’s all paid off.

Do your due diligence on the Ecodiesel. Personally I wouldn’t have one beyond the warranty period. AFAIK production of these ended in January. So it’s going to have questionable support in the long run.

Financially, diesels can’t save any money, because fuel prices are higher.

I say all this as someone who prefers driving diesels and can afford to drive what I like. If I wanted a 1500 diesel I’d buy a GM truck myself.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
WELCOME TO TH FORUM!!!!!

Helpful Hints:
Learn how to use the Search Feature, top right of every page.
Much quicker way to find answers than waiting for others to see your post.
Almost everything is a been there, done that, issue.
Not all but most.

Learn how to add a signature, like the blue text, at the bottom of my Post here.
You can put all your truck info, there, so those who read your posts, get it and can help them figure out your tissue.

It's also a great place to put all your Modifications to your truck.

Which brings us to MODS.

No, not the Forum Mods, those Evil Beings, who ban Innocents, for no reason,
other than they, themselves, are suffering from a Humor Deficiency Syndrome
and cannot see how hilarious Funny, the offending Post truly was.

No, we are now talking about Modifications, done to your truck,
to make it stand apart, be more functional and truly make it, your own.

Those lines of text, at the bottom for certain posts, are also a great source
of potential Mods, you never knew that you had to spend your hard earned money,
upon, and must be done, to your truck.

Be Warned:
Mod Addiction is very Real and there is no known Cure.

Even when the wallet is empty, the Need for Modding still exists.
The Sufferers are known as Modaholics.

There is no 12 Step Program for this financially Debilitating Disease.

EDIT:
Everyone, I do mean, EVERYONE, on this Forum wants to see pictures of your Hottie Wife,
er, I mean, Awesome Truck.

Truck Pics are like ******* Centerfolds, for Truck Guys.
post many and post often.

EDIT:
Even here, we have the persistently Irreverent one and even a few, who'd qualify as the Village Idiot.

If you place your mouse on a posters Name or handle, to the left of their post.
Like where mine says GoFIshN? Hold mouse on it, allow it to hover, and a pop up will occur.
Along the bottom of this popup, middle, will be an IGNORE link.
Click that and you will never see that persons posts, ever again.