HID question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought headlight bulbs. I went with Innovited HID for the projectors and Yufana LEDs for the high beams. Looks good and is way brighter. Money well spent.

Are the innovited HIDs the style that has the ballast contained in the headlight rather than mounting it outside of the headlight?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Are the innovited HIDs the style that has the ballast contained in the headlight rather than mounting it outside of the headlight?

The 35w ballast should fit in the oem projector housing. Might take some tetris skills. It is a little bigger than other ballast. I forget just how much room there is in the projector housings

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 35w ballast should fit in the oem projector housing. Might take some tetris skills. It is a little bigger than other ballast. I forget just how much room there is in the projector housings

That's what I had heard on here (well not the 35w only, that I did not know), but I was curious as to how the install went in regards to all of that (containing it all within the headlight). I'm sure it would be a tight fit, any ballast I've ever seen wouldn't fit in there, my LEDs are even a snug fit. It's cool someone made an option to have them contained though.

Just gathering info in case I want to switch back to HIDs at any point, I'm done with HIDs that have ballasts outside of the headlight but would potentially try this setup out in the future if my LEDs let me down for any reason.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
That's what I had heard on here (well not the 35w only, that I did not know), but I was curious as to how the install went in regards to all of that (containing it all within the headlight). I'm sure it would be a tight fit, any ballast I've ever seen wouldn't fit in there, my LEDs are even a snug fit. It's cool someone made an option to have them contained though.

Just gathering info in case I want to switch back to HIDs at any point, I'm done with HIDs that have ballasts outside of the headlight but would potentially try this setup out in the future if my LEDs let me down for any reason.

I had ddm tuning hid's in a set of tyc replacement oem projectors and I could fit everything inside but the bulb was too tall to comfortably fit the wires in without putting to much pressure on them. So I had to run everything externally. Wasn't thrilled about that. But never had an issue with them.

I can say that the innovative 35w and 55w ballast do fit inside of the alpharex 2019 style headlights if you decide to change looks.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had ddm tuning hid's in a set of tyc replacement oem projectors and I could fit everything inside but the bulb was too tall to comfortably fit the wires in without putting to much pressure on them. So I had to run everything externally. Wasn't thrilled about that. But never had an issue with them.

I can say that the innovative 35w and 55w ballast do fit inside of the alpharex 2019 style headlights if you decide to change looks.

I really do like the looks of those headlights, but I trade in often so I have stayed away from buying complete headlight setups in favor of just swapping bulbs. Thanks for the info though, never hurts to know your options! I'm hoping my LEDs go trouble free for the next 2 years but if they don't, I'll be looking more into those innovited's (sp? Still not sure on the correct spelling for those).

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I really do like the looks of those headlights, but I trade in often so I have stayed away from buying complete headlight setups in favor of just swapping bulbs. Thanks for the info though, never hurts to know your options! I'm hoping my LEDs go trouble free for the next 2 years but if they don't, I'll be looking more into those innovited's (sp? Still not sure on the correct spelling for those).

Yeah I think it's Innovited. The "saved" spelling on my phone usually pops up innovative and I just tap it not really paying attention. I am the same way with truck's but atleast with 4th gens everything carries over. This is the first set of actual aftermarket lights I've bought and stock was impressed with the cutoff line's. The halogen bulbs that come with them suck.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I think it's Innovited. The "saved" spelling on my phone usually pops up innovative and I just tap it not really paying attention. I am the same way with truck's but atleast with 4th gens everything carries over. This is the first set of actual aftermarket lights I've bought and stock was impressed with the cutoff line's. The halogen bulbs that come with them suck.

Ahh gotcha yeah I wasn't really sure which one it was called to be quite honest. My brain wanted to think Innovated because it sounds more natural to me. And yeah that's true regarding the 4th gens, although my next truck in a few years will likely be a 5th gen. I'm happy to see they FINALLY put good headlights in those at least, cause I agree about how awful the stock setup is on our 4th gens. Stock performance was on the level of the stock headlights on my 66 buick, just inexcusable at this point to me. Also hate the way they looked with projectors, nicer looking headlight with ancient bulb in it and dim light, just didn't look right.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Ahh gotcha yeah I wasn't really sure which one it was called to be quite honest. My brain wanted to think Innovated because it sounds more natural to me. And yeah that's true regarding the 4th gens, although my next truck in a few years will likely be a 5th gen. I'm happy to see they FINALLY put good headlights in those at least, cause I agree about how awful the stock setup is on our 4th gens. Stock performance was on the level of the stock headlights on my 66 buick, just inexcusable at this point to me. Also hate the way they looked with projectors, nicer looking headlight with ancient bulb in it and dim light, just didn't look right.

They only truck I ever owned that had great factory lighting was an 05 Silverado. Added some Sylvania ultra bulbs and they were nice and bright. Went to an 05 dodge 3500 after that and had to double check the first time driving at night to make sure the lights were actually on. Dodge just has horrible lighting in their truck's.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They only truck I ever owned that had great factory lighting was an 05 Silverado. Added some Sylvania ultra bulbs and they were nice and bright. Went to an 05 dodge 3500 after that and had to double check the first time driving at night to make sure the lights were actually on. Dodge just has horrible lighting in their truck's.

Haha yeah I hear ya on having to get out and check. When I had LED fogs and stock halogen headlights, I'd turn off my fogs and couldn't even tell if my headlights were on either.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yes. You'll be able to enable hid which turns off the pwm (pulse width modulation) which causes the flickering and issues with aftermarket lighting in our trucks. You'll be able to upgrade fogs/park/turn reverse lights to led. Add and enable factory options.

If I disable PWM will my halogen lights still work? Thinking about making the changes with AOBD tonight but not sure I’ll have time to swap the HID in.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If I disable PWM will my halogen lights still work? Thinking about making the changes with AOBD tonight but not sure I’ll have time to swap the HID in.

Yes. Pwm, just sends pulses to the lights as a way to extend the lifespan of the bulbs and monitor them. So you'll be fine changing it

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok - i bought the Innovited 55w kit. I've got the driver side powered but tested it before putting the headlight back in...it's flickering when I turn it on and after a bit, it just goes off. Did I order the wrong kit or is there an additional relay that I need?

https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-Li...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I had the same issue until I installed this can bus adapter. Now they work great.

HIKARI PAIR LED Conversion Kit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07312V7QB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share