HID vs LED Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is that an FX R projector? I thought they were bigger than 2.5" scratch indeed they are 2.5". But perhaps deeper.

I'd also remove or do something to the orange reflector, some 3m reflective automotive silver tape may work.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
JJ sells clear corner reflectors.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yes, **** projectors are supplied with the spyders when they are made. They are all like that according to myself and Google, perhaps Mr. Magoo would think not.

I wouldn't say ****.

I'm pretty happy with mine. There not a FX-R's but they way better than the stock reflector housings.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Whatever you say Mr. MAGOO [emoji12]

hahah. I know a retro fit is the best but aftermarket projectors are not bad.

Now all those aftermarket projectors are halogen projectors, so that's why some don't play well with HIDs.

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm about to buy some 35w hids for my lows/ fogs on my 2015 ram 1500 Laramie. My question is are 35w hids to bright for the fogs? Can they be reamed so they won't blind someone or get the cops attention? I'm more or less just going for looks on the fogs to match the hid lows. If they are to bright how comparable is the color of a 4500k led bulb to a hid? And if I go to led can I jet get replacement bulbs or would I need any different patch cables to make them work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hahah. I know a retro fit is the best but aftermarket projectors are not bad.

Now all those aftermarket projectors are halogen projectors, so that's why some don't play well with HIDs.
Bruv, I'm talking about stock halogen light output in the spyders. I ain't put hid's in them yet .

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm about to buy some 35w hids for my lows/ fogs on my 2015 ram 1500 Laramie. My question is are 35w hids to bright for the fogs? Can they be reamed so they won't blind someone or get the cops attention? I'm more or less just going for looks on the fogs to match the hid lows. If they are to bright how comparable is the color of a 4500k led bulb to a hid? And if I go to led can I jet get replacement bulbs or would I need any different patch cables to make them work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fogs are adjustable.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Well... I pulled the trigger.. For cost effectiveness, I ordered a set of the spider headlights.

I THOUGHT I could get a set of the tyc replica quads from the parts store I work at, but they arent available. Any decent replica quads are going to cost me between $250-$400 to get a pair of them.

I'm going to give the spider's a shot and see how they are with HID's in them. If I don't like the way they work, I have a set of h1 mini projectors that are on order and I'm waiting to get in, so I can always retro those in. I saw JJ did a h1 retro into the spider headlights a while back, so I know it's at least possible to do.

Only thing that sucks, is aiming them requires headlight removal, however, I'm not really wanting to spend the extra $200 for aiming ability. I'm good at taking the grille off and removing headlights quickly...

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well... I pulled the trigger.. For cost effectiveness, I ordered a set of the spider headlights.

I THOUGHT I could get a set of the tyc replica quads from the parts store I work at, but they arent available. Any decent replica quads are going to cost me between $250-$400 to get a pair of them.

I'm going to give the spider's a shot and see how they are with HID's in them. If I don't like the way they work, I have a set of h1 mini projectors that are on order and I'm waiting to get in, so I can always retro those in. I saw JJ did a h1 retro into the spider headlights a while back, so I know it's at least possible to do.

Only thing that sucks, is aiming them requires headlight removal, however, I'm not really wanting to spend the extra $200 for aiming ability. I'm good at taking the grille off and removing headlights quickly...

When you install them just leave the grill off and get your alignment right then put the grill back on. I did it that way the second time I took them off.

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
When you install them just leave the grill off and get your alignment right then put the grill back on. I did it that way the second time I took them off.

Yea I'm planning on doing all the adjustment with the grille off, makes it a ton easier haha.

How hard were yours to adjust?

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have two screws on each side that allows for vertical and horizontal. Just follow the arrows and you will see them go up/down and left/right. I used an extension to reach the screws due to their placement but they were easy to do.
I have since switched to TYC projectors and will be doing new projectors in the Spyders. Trying to do double projectors and getting rid of the led's that look like the number 7. This is my winter/spring project.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its gonna be an ass ache galore adjusting these headlights again after projector retrofit.

I wish I could design a stand that would emulate the precise angle of the headlight fitted onto the truck, then it would make life a little easier. Because even putting the headlights on a table surface wont help as the angles will be out.

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Its gonna be an ass ache galore adjusting these headlights again after projector retrofit.

I wish I could design a stand that would emulate the precise angle of the headlight fitted onto the truck, then it would make life a little easier. Because even putting the headlights on a table surface wont help as the angles will be out.

Actually, I don't think it's going to be bad. I have a secret weapon up my sleeve.

I got my projector housings in today, my headlights are ordered, and the retrofit source makes a direct for bracket that I ordered. The bracket bolts right up to the mini h1 projectors and you literally just bolt in the retrofitted h1 into the spider lights. Only adjustment should be the up/down and right to left. Shouldn't be hat bad to do. No twisting the projectors in the housing to get them level. Me like.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I don't think it's going to be bad. I have a secret weapon up my sleeve.

I got my projector housings in today, my headlights are ordered, and the retrofit source makes a direct for bracket that I ordered. The bracket bolts right up to the mini h1 projectors and you literally just bolt in the retrofitted h1 into the spider lights. Only adjustment should be the up/down and right to left. Shouldn't be hat bad to do. No twisting the projectors in the housing to get them level. Me like.

Nice, real nice

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Bro, that's what I was referring to being an **** ache. The up down left right malarkey of the spyders.
I knew about the spyder brackets from trs and mentioned it earlier. ;-)

Besides, I thought you were putting the projectors into the quad headlights. ? Edit. Read your last post. Makes sense. I've got a set of quads to mess with one day also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Bro, that's what I was referring to being an **** ache. The up down left right malarkey of the spyders.
I knew about the spyder brackets from trs and mentioned it earlier. ;-)

Besides, I thought you were putting the projectors into the quad headlights. ? Edit. Read your last post. Makes sense. I've got a set of quads to mess with one day also.

I honesty don't remember you talking about the brackets lol. All I know is that the spider lights were the cheapest I could find, and I'm sort of glad that I bought them now because they seem to be easier to retrofit than the quad headlights, in the aspect of "manual labor" I.E. Dremmeling out the reflector bowl, making sure the projectors are level in the housing.

Initially doing the adjustment on them will be a pain because you have to remove the lights to adjust as we all know, but I will make sure to mark where my lights are aimed on my garage door now to be able to get them close when aiming the retro'ed lights. There is actually a guide that the retrofit source posted on YouTube of how projectors should be adjusted, and it "seems" easy enough to do.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm already contemplating doin another retrofit in my aftermarket dual's.

Something creative and will either go with the true mini h1's or fx-r.

Then I can swapem back n forth when I get bored.

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Heres the projectors. I used an LED flashlight to shine light thru to look at the cutoff, bear in mind the HID will be a LOT brighter(and not in my kitchen...)

hid_zpsqgrptkpq.jpg

94F693CC-6647-415D-AE33-9151BCA4B03B_zpsck2cngm9.jpg

Thats a hell of a cutoff for a $40 amazon.com projector lol