High idle after cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raceME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I need some help here. So a few months ago I got an engine light and ticking that was coming from the lifters. I ordered a stage 2 comp cam that with phaser lock mds delete and non mds lifters. After replacing the cam and lifters (all the work was done by myself and my old man who is a knowledgeable mechanic) I got the truck tuned by Jay Greene and got a Diablo tuner and pcm swap. After everything was installed and the tune was loaded the truck fired up and immediately revved to 3k rpm. After uninstalling the tune the truck now revved at about 1200 rpm. I asked my tuner what he thought the problem was, he suggested that a push rod was not installed correctly or the cam or cam phaser was not timed correctly. So after taking the rockers off and checking the push rods i reinstalled everything and fired the truck again and I’m still having the same problem. Any insight would be great. I guess I’m just hoping I don’t have to re time the cam. Thanks

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
how does it behave other than idling? Does it rev okay? Sound normal? When my timing was off on my rebuild, the engine sounded like a diesel.

I would also verify the phaser was locked out properly. If you DEFINITELY installed pushrods correctly, AND timed it CORRECTLY, most plausible variable would be the phaser I would think.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id you check the intake manifold gaskets? if you replaced them they fall off fairly easy when re installing intake.