Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High pitched whistle

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by band nerd, Jun 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM.

1. band nerd

band nerd Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7
    2014 2500 Cummins, stock, 199,500 miles .
    Going down the road under normal load I get a slight high-pitched whistling sound . If I turn my head I don’t hear it . It also goes away if I let off the accelerator . it is not speed-related . Turbo and DEF pump were replaced a little over a year ago .
    Yeah, I know, just keep my head turned .
    Thoughts?

2. chri5k

chri5k Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel
    I had something similar on my 2500 with 150K miles. It was not speed dependent but it was engine RPM dependent. In park it would make a faint high pitch sound in the direction of the dash / steering wheel when I got to 1400 RPM or so and go up from there. When I stepped on the brake or turned the wheel it would stop. This lead me to the power steering / brake booster hydraulic system. I set the engine idle control to raise the idle to where it made the noise and probed with a stethoscope. It was strongest at the fittings on the back of the pump. It was not bearing noise. The noise did carry through the lines to the ABS block. I think it is fluid squeezing through a valve somewhere in the pump. I might replace the fluid to see if that changes the pitch to where I can't hear it.