Hit shifter from reverse to park while moving??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
2018 Ram 2500 Diesel, 60k miles.
I was baking up last night and turned to look and bam I bumped the shifter, at about 8-10mph I went from reverse to park, the clicking / grinding / drilling noise happened and the truck was stopped and in park after 10' or so.
Everything seems ok, shifts, park, feel, etc.
Is there a safety mechanism, did I possible tear something up, should I have it checked?

It 's a 2018 with the 6 speed automatic, truck is mostly a daily driver and tows a few days a year.

Thanks

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that was the park pin that locks the transmission. I've done the same thing in the past by putting a vehicle in park before it sopped moving. I think as long as it didn't shear off the pin, you'll be fine.

OP
OP
B

Bigwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks, I'm hoping so, I went in and out of all the gears a few times and even parked on slight incline and put in and out of F and R and all seemed as it should.
I appreciate the input.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the record, many of us (myself included) have done the same thing.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If the trans was designed well they would have assumed this could be pretty common and designed it to not lock while moving and to survive it. The racket it makes when it happens is just to remind you that's not a good thing to do ( also designed to do that ). :D
:cheers:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you have the rfe, 68rfe.

I'm surprised the shifter linkage survives this, if it fails to go into gear from Park it will likely be this above the valve body. Pretty easy fix if it goes out.

As far as grinding, that's scary. I might use this time to do a Diff fluid change and look for metal. When your tires spin and then get grip, you loose gear teeth. I'm not sure how that would translate to your situation, but your diffs are likely ready for new fluid if you havent done so already. Look into redline or amsoil. You need to take cover off use the right sealant to replace cover.

I think rfe's are good transmission, especially with upgrades, and with cummins you should look at the updates, especially VB and line pressure if nothing else. My brother went through 3 transmissions with his 3500 cummins. Yes he tows a lot. Dude loves Rams, ended up going to a manual though. We didnt know about the updates back then.

These video's are worth the time investment it takes to watch them, especially with the cummins...

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
1599582005509-png.png