Holster options for that little cubbyhole on the side of the big floor console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a WRB holster. There are a lot of firms out there that make one like the one I have.

It's nylon, has a top velcro strapped pouch for a second mag, it's ambidextrous with a spring clip that can be fastened to either side and an adjustable button strap.

It clips over the edge of that big open map pocket at the base of the center console

20180605_114659_zpscfyzc9l9.jpg

20180605_114712_zpsww9b63jm.jpg

20180605_114805_zpsliwx5ofh.jpg

I like this set-up
Jay

BattleBornNV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep.
I had magnets in my last truck for driver and all passengers. One for each occupant.
Have 4 magnets in the Polaris Ranger.

Did not want to permanently attach magnets into my new truck so I just took a paddle holster and pulled the rear tension screw out. Pistol removes without any friction whatsoever, but I would prefer a left handed holster. Have to overhand it at the moment. 373d40890ee437a15dba3e8b1aa5ddc6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a WRB holster. There are a lot of firms out there that make one like the one I have.

It's nylon, has a top velcro strapped pouch for a second mag, it's ambidextrous with a spring clip that can be fastened to either side and an adjustable button strap.

It clips over the edge of that big open map pocket at the base of the center console.

I like that too, especially with the magazine holder.

How tight does the clip fit over the lip? I like Jay’s idea of Velcro on the holster and console to hold it still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
"Pistol removes without any friction whatsoever,"

This part concerns me. Will that pistol stay put in the event of an accident?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep.
I had magnets in my last truck for driver and all passengers. One for each occupant.
Have 4 magnets in the Polaris Ranger.

Did not want to permanently attach magnets into my new truck so I just took a paddle holster and pulled the rear tension screw out. Pistol removes without any friction whatsoever, but I would prefer a left handed holster. Have to overhand it at the moment. 373d40890ee437a15dba3e8b1aa5ddc6.jpg

I have a hand-made kydex paddle holster that a buddy of mine made but I had the same problem, he made it in RH....lol.

I think it held fairly well in the storage pocket lip but once I realized there was no way to temporarily modify the holster to a LH, I didn’t get that far into testing if the retention of the holster was greater than the paddle clip.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Even with a permit? Dang.

Yeah that’s true, for no more than what these cost, I wouldn’t be interested in taking it out if I ever got rid of the truck, i was just more concerned about it being a permanent choice and that if I ever wanted to move it or take it out completely, I’d be left with the holes remaining...lol.

I do have a NJ permit to carry, but you can't drive around with a weapon visible in the vehicle. Actually, it's a gray area and knowing how Jersey Judges see things, I don't want to be the 1st. test case. Matters not that I'm a retired cop, they'd just say I shoulda known better. That's why I'm going to N.E. Tennessee. Some states, you can have the gun in the car but it MUST be visible. Some, it can be in the glove box. I just keep it on me all the time, even at home. Got black bears in the woods here. ; )

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

It clips over the edge of that big open map pocket at the base of the center console.

Hey MADDOG, is that XDs in 9mm or .45? Mines a .45 and I carried it in a small of the back holster for the last 4 yrs. It's so thin, it just disappears. Not a good carry choice in crowds though. I'll carry it appendix then with a MIC holster to cover the trigger guard. Don't wanna be shootin' off *****.

BattleBornNV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
"Pistol removes without any friction whatsoever,"

This part concerns me. Will that pistol stay put in the event of an accident?

It rides great. Deep in the bucket. But it would “slide” along the map holder lip it’s clipped onto but with enough force, it could conceivably come out (or off a magnet too)

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I can’t tell by the picture but is that one of their holsters or just the adapter? I’ve seen those before, mounted on the bottom of a steering column like that but I guess I didn’t realize that all that was, was an adjustable strap.

I’m assuming that if you could use that device with virtually any holster, that that oughta work pretty well being stretched between the bottom of the plastic and the top lip of the map pocket....

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t tell by the picture but is that one of their holsters or just the adapter? I’ve seen those before, mounted on the bottom of a steering column like that but I guess I didn’t realize that all that was, was an adjustable strap.

I’m assuming that if you could use that device with virtually any holster, that that oughta work pretty well being stretched between the bottom of the plastic and the top lip of the map pocket....

Yes it is one of their holsters too. I had it in my 3 previous GMC trucks under the column.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is one of their holsters too. I had it in my 3 previous GMC trucks under the column.

Your pic’s kinda dark but do you have that vehicle mount strap hooked to the top of the map pocket lip and the bottom of the console down where it meets the carpeting? I sent an email to that manufacturer of that vehicle holster and asked them that question and they said you could as long as the hooks would clip into place on both ends and that as long as the area was longer than like 6 and a half inches and shorter than like 13 and a half inches.

Can you use virtually any holster or only theirs?

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your pic’s kinda dark but do you have that vehicle mount strap hooked to the top of the map pocket lip and the bottom of the console down where it meets the carpeting? I sent an email to that manufacturer of that vehicle holster and asked them that question and they said you could as long as the hooks would clip into place on both ends and that as long as the area was longer than like 6 and a half inches and shorter than like 13 and a half inches.

Can you use virtually any holster or only theirs?

Yes, its hooked to top and bottom like you stated. I'd just use their holster. Its made for the system and works great. Very reasonably priced as well

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, its hooked to top and bottom like you stated. I'd just use their holster. Its made for the system and works great. Very reasonably priced as well

Nice. Thank you.

I take it the holster part comes also with a regular belt clip that you could pack on you, or is it really only designed to be used with that column mount strap in your vehicle? Which, doesn’t matter if I can’t, I’m just merely curious.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like that too, especially with the magazine holder.

How tight does the clip fit over the lip? I like Jay’s idea of Velcro on the holster and console to hold it still.

It doesn't move at all. The fit is tight enough to keep it in place but not so tight that it is hard to place or remove.

Hey MADDOG, is that XDs in 9mm or .45? Mines a .45 and I carried it in a small of the back holster for the last 4 yrs. It's so thin, it just disappears. Not a good carry choice in crowds though. I'll carry it appendix then with a MIC holster to cover the trigger guard. Don't wanna be shootin' off *****.

It is a .45

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice. Thank you.

I take it the holster part comes also with a regular belt clip that you could pack on you, or is it really only designed to be used with that column mount strap in your vehicle? Which, doesn’t matter if I can’t, I’m just merely curious.

It has a sewn loop that a strap goes through similar to a belt holster I'd say

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It rides great. Deep in the bucket. But it would “slide” along the map holder lip it’s clipped onto but with enough force, it could conceivably come out (or off a magnet too)

Yup. Guess you're right there. "A body in motion" and all that. Only way to secure it for sure is to strap up. And that's not allowed everywhere. Wish the Feds would pass Nation wide carry law so good people don't become felons by crossing state lines.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Link for the MIC holster.......
http://www.themicholster.com/store.php

I have about 6 of these.

4 for Glocks (1 size MIC fits All Glocks)
1 in a work briefcase,
1 in a ruck I carry now and then,
1 sewn into a Carhart coat pocket
1 on my bench for safety sake
1 for Ruger LCP
1 for Springfield XDs

Their slogan...yup, it's on the web site!...wait for it.....

Don't Shoot Your **** - Carry A MIC!! Ha

Ed.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't move at all. The fit is tight enough to keep it in place but not so tight that it is hard to place or remove.
The retention of the holster to the pistol, or the belt clip on the console?

BattleBornNV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yup. Guess you're right there. "A body in motion" and all that. Only way to secure it for sure is to strap up. And that's not allowed everywhere. Wish the Feds would pass Nation wide carry law so good people don't become felons by crossing state lines.

Since being included in this thread I’m actually thinking I should find a way to secure it to the map pocket better to avoid the holster sliding along the lip and, 2 things,
Scratching the plastic of the truck and 2, potentially coming out of the holster in the event there were an accident. In all honesty I never took that into consideration.
It might be a better solution to have a holster sewn into my seat cover.