Holster options for that little cubbyhole on the side of the big floor console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I wonder. Texas is an open carry State. Are dealers in Tx offering something like this as a dealer option. Also, I am surprised that our holster companies have not come up with a neat solution for this "real and present need"

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worksc6ec7f5eba2c6e14bea1fa4eb298f8fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The retention of the holster to the pistol, or the belt clip on the console?

Neither one moves unless I move them.

One way to reduce slip, if you are worred about it, is to place some thin rubber sheet over the console lip, then clip the holster over that.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neither one moves unless I move them.

One way to reduce slip, if you are worred about it, is to place some thin rubber sheet over the console lip, then clip the holster over that.

Not really worried, just curious how tight the belt clip fit on the plastic since I doubt it was made to be used in that manner...[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I have. Pic earlier in thread. Made by gumcreekcustoms.com

I went ahead and ordered me one. If I’m not mistaken, as long as it’s a holster with a horizontal sewn-on belt loop, practically any holster will work with that strap mount. I’m excited to try it out.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Worksc6ec7f5eba2c6e14bea1fa4eb298f8fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what states you drive in, but it may be legal where you are, just don't come here (NJ) for your sake. Sadly, they will lock you up in a flash. I have 2 of those holsters in my giant box of "Holsters not currently in use". Haha, everybody has one of those boxes, just seems the older you get, the more guns you've owned/own, the bigger the box is. Mines got 40 or so in it now. Those little universal slip on the belt jobs seem to hold my guns pretty well.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ha...looking thru this....all yall are doing the same exact thing I've been doing.

I use a blackhawk holster w/clip to hold my XD 45 right there as well.

So far, no signs of damage to the map holder thingy, but I don't carry every day either, mainly just on road trips or when going out to the property to shoot/hunt.

Not really worried, just curious how tight the belt clip fit on the plastic since I doubt it was made to be used in that manner...[emoji41]

I know you weren't asking me, but mine is loose enough that when the seat slides forward, it will slide too, but not so tight as to make it damage the map holder, and it stays in very well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ha...looking thru this....all yall are doing the same exact thing I've been doing.

I use a blackhawk holster w/clip to hold my XD 45 right there as well.

So far, no signs of damage to the map holder thingy, but I don't carry every day either, mainly just on road trips or when going out to the property to shoot/hunt.

I know you weren't asking me, but mine is loose enough that when the seat slides forward, it will slide too, but not so tight as to make it damage the map holder, and it stays in very well.

I have a holster with a belt clip- it’s more of a universal holster, but that’s why I ordered that vehicle one because it will secure the holster to the interior and won’t slide at all. I’m not necessarily concerned so much about scratches, I’m more concerned about it staying in place when I need to draw that gun in a hurry. It’s gonna be a whole lot different of a scenario between casually pulling the gun outta the holster than in a stressed situation. That’s mainly why I want something fairly secure.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a holster with a belt clip- it’s more of a universal holster, but that’s why I ordered that vehicle one because it will secure the holster to the interior and won’t slide at all. I’m not necessarily concerned so much about scratches, I’m more concerned about it staying in place when I need to draw that gun in a hurry. It’s gonna be a whole lot different of a scenario between casually pulling the gun outta the holster than in a stressed situation. That’s mainly why I want something fairly secure.

You are now discussing what is truly important! All the rest is BS. I would never trust any holster that moved or slid with the seat. That extra second or two spent "looking for the gun grip" could get you dead. Your family will at least know you died not scratching up the plastic. I carry 24/7 and I carry .45s. Many times it's a pain, but carry isn't suposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting. Secure that **** and take the hit on the screw hole damage. I don't feel like making new friends again. :)

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve heard about these. You use yours similar to how this person is? I was kinda hoping to avoid drilling holes in the plastic anywhere but I do like the idea.
6f42a6c670aee02969af4a9dabd797d9.jpg

I've recently seen one of those magnet versions with supposed super strength double stick.
Can't remember where though.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Inside The top console with barrel facing towards dash seems to stay put for me very well with a clip on each side plus one in place. 9MM Beretta
But I never have any little kids in my truck any more at all or it would be an issue for me.

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Glad I am not the only one. I recommend the JM4 tactical holster. Its a magnet leather holster with great retention. When the gun is not on me, its clips right in this map slot you are referring to. No drilling required. Its a perfect solution for this setup. http://jm4tactical.com/

Djoker04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 1500 2015
Engine
HEMI
Figgered that cubby hole pocket on the side of the console would be a good place to clip an ordinary LH paddle holster or belt clip holster too, but not sure which ones work good and which ones don’t

Ideas?

Not at my truck but i have a Bed carrier (I have a drop down center seat console) and versacarry barrel mount . it’s right next to the seatbelt...I can quick draw with either hand....and can’t tell what i’m doing...
I’ll take a pix later....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca