Holster options for that little cubbyhole on the side of the big floor console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Secured with nut & bolt. Nut is on the map pocket sidef14765f5400c4dac4610c752827e2c2a.jpg5fe47e22bc396cc4285b6067dbb761f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kodiak56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've gotta say, this blew me away being from Canada. So this is legal? Do you need some kind of permit?

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've gotta say, this blew me away being from Canada. So this is legal? Do you need some kind of permit?

Oh, boy...well, short version, Kodiak, is legal vehicle carry depends on the state. Thankfully, here in Texas, we've codified such a thing so we're good to go without a permit. Other states, not so much.

TXCOMT

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t remember; Texas let’s you carry in your vehicle without a permission slip if its what, concealed or out in the open?

In Oklahoma though, you gotta have a permit to do that regardless unless it’s a rifle during like, hunting season or somethin’...I’m not really sure. I just know that if it’s a pistol you better not get caught with it being loaded or even just with loaded magazine inserted without a permit or you be gettin’ a whippin’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, its hooked to top and bottom like you stated. I'd just use their holster. Its made for the system and works great. Very reasonably priced as well

So how did you make yours fit over on the side pocket of the console? I just got mine in the mail today and uh, if I try to mount mine over there like yours, the long metal part at the bottom of the mount seems to be too long as it hits the floor... How did you assemble your holster to work on the map pocket?

roscoe999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Texas is NOT open carry like Oklahoma and Arizona unless it's a long gun, you can carry a long gun just about anywhere here not that the locals won't act like democrats but it's legal. In the vehicle if you can't see it it's legal as long as it's not full auto :) A pistol like my Colt 1911 is in the upper console shelf with mags etc in the lower one. I have a 2014 Laramie Mega cab 2500 4x4 and it works well. Easy access if needed and out a sight and that's all that's required. My good friend grew up in Trenton and got here as fast as he could. He has family there who visit often and enjoy shooting off our front porches when the visit.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Glad I am not the only one. I recommend the JM4 tactical holster. Its a magnet leather holster with great retention. When the gun is not on me, its clips right in this map slot you are referring to. No drilling required. Its a perfect solution for this setup. http://jm4tactical.com/
To each his own, but there isn't a "Tactical" holster in the world that is retained by a magnet. That's getting knocked right the f@$k off in any kind of fight. Which brings me to this question...Why are some of you taking your holster off once you are in the truck?

BattleBornNV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To each his own, but there isn't a "Tactical" holster in the world that is retained by a magnet. That's getting knocked right the f@$k off in any kind of fight. Which brings me to this question...Why are some of you taking your holster off once you are in the truck?

Not sure about the others but I carry my .40 in my truck as a back up. It’s far to bulky to wear while driving so I have a J frame .357 that never comes off my hip. In the event I need to defend myself while driving, my 40 is coming out (praying I have enough SA to draw first) if I had to exit my vehicle for cover, it’s a backup until I can get the AR in the backseat and suppress.
Hopefully it would never come to that and I can/could just use my truck in defense in lieu of engaging. Harder to miss with 6500#’s of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djoker04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 1500 2015
Engine
HEMI
Texas is NOT open carry like Oklahoma and Arizona unless it's a long gun, you can carry a long gun just about anywhere here not that the locals won't act like democrats but it's legal. In the vehicle if you can't see it it's legal as long as it's not full auto :) A pistol like my Colt 1911 is in the upper console shelf with mags etc in the lower one. I have a 2014 Laramie Mega cab 2500 4x4 and it works well. Easy access if needed and out a sight and that's all that's required. My good friend grew up in Trenton and got here as fast as he could. He has family there who visit often and enjoy shooting off our front porches when the visit.
Sorry but TX is OC now....not many do it but it is..or did i misread your post?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sure is odd that it took a state such as Texas so long to allow open carry but I think it’s been as of January one of 2016 since that became allowed.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Not sure about the others but I carry my .40 in my truck as a back up. It’s far to bulky to wear while driving so I have a J frame .357 that never comes off my hip. In the event I need to defend myself while driving, my 40 is coming out (praying I have enough SA to draw first) if I had to exit my vehicle for cover, it’s a backup until I can get the AR in the backseat and suppress.
Hopefully it would never come to that and I can/could just use my truck in defense in lieu of engaging. Harder to miss with 6500#’s of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK. As a 2nd gun is one thing. Sounded to me that guys are getting in the truck and taking off their carry gun and now "securing it" in the truck. Maybe I misinterpreted what was meant.
My primary gun (G21) stays on. My BUG (G30) stays in bag seatbelted in passenger seat with easy, unzipped access. My 2nd BUG (G26) 9mm is in my pocket. 2 extra 13 rd.45 ACP mags (fit G21 & G30) are on my belt. 2 more are in the bag. 2 15 rd. 9mm for the G26 are also in the bag. Always. Always. Bag is modified so nothing moves around. Muscle memory goes to same spot every time for what it knows is there. Yes, I do train for this with empty guns. Yes, it might sound paranoid, but why would I be paranoid when I'm so well armed and trained? I'm not paranoid, I'm ready.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The Granny in that pic, no less...[emoji6]

Haha, that just showed up. Didn't see it nefore. Yeah, I also keep my .357 Magnum LCR w/ laser grips in my coat pocket when it's coat weather. No hammer, goes bang 5 times without ever taking it out of the pocket. ;)

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, problem solved. Had to modify the mount a little bit with some zip ties to get the strap to go short enough to make it secure but I think I’m happy.

Gum creek #51 holster for Ruger LC9S w/ Crimson Trace LG sight. 39508f4606603f78e1fc4063acc81cf5.jpgd6e691ff400e4ad485601f7caa97122c.jpg

MajMike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just keep mine in the pocket behind the passenger seat, easy to reach and fits better within FL law (not right at hand). Damn lawyers.