Horn & Audio Controls Not Working, NOT Clock Spring issue! PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
So about a year ago, I noticed the audio controls on my steering wheel stopped working, as well as the horn. Cruise control, dome lights, etc all work properly. No codes thrown, no airbag light has come on. After extensive research, it HAD to be the clock spring! Right? Well I just replaced it and it’s still not working, but NOW my “service airbag soon” alert shows when I start the truck (I presume that’ll just off by itself). I checked all the fuses (fuse #49 specifically), all ‘appear’ to be fine. No obvious broken fuses, some looked a little charred than others, but no breaks in them. Any ideas on what this may be?! I’m going crazy!!

My truck:
2015 RAM 1500 Lone Star 4X4
Crew Cab, 5.7L V8 HEMI
6” Suspension Lift
80K Miles, second owner

Attachments

• 3C3368DB-96CF-4521-8F8C-FFF37C704F76.jpeg
    3C3368DB-96CF-4521-8F8C-FFF37C704F76.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 03E0B485-7091-4071-A809-11859765CB51.jpeg
    03E0B485-7091-4071-A809-11859765CB51.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 28
  • A695F88C-8E5C-465F-958A-A51CCC690F06.jpeg
    A695F88C-8E5C-465F-958A-A51CCC690F06.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 29

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Could be the control system on the left side of ur wheel. I know the audio controls plug into that. The airbag light n is a weird outcome though.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be the control system on the left side of ur wheel. I know the audio controls plug into that. The airbag light n is a weird outcome though.
Had same problem awhile back, was the switch gone bad in steering wheel
horn, audio and info on dash wou;dnt work from controls on steering wheel

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Was it a new or used clock spring?
1) Control system? Like, the actual plastic buttons? None of the controls on either side work, front and back of steering wheel (except cruise control). The horn doesn’t work, either.
2) It was a used clock spring from same spec vehicle.
3) Switch gone bad? Which switch? Is there a part number or link you might be able to share?

Thank you guys SO much for trying to help, I’m sure with our powers combined and the RAM community uniting, we WILL solve this! Lol, thanks dudes! Hope to get a little more info on this “switch”!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Assuming the airbag plugs into the clockspring then you got another bad one.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just out of curiousity ...did you pre-set (wind) the clock spring 2 turns with the included key after it was installed?

Ram Key Winder.jpg
:laughing1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Just out of curiousity ...did you pre-set (wind) the clock spring 2 turns with the included key after it was installed?

View attachment 517188
:laughing1:
No I didn’t, I made sure it was in the middle, and no issues thus far while driving around. This is the first time I’ve even heard of that key thing and I’ve done extensive research, including multiple install videos and that thing hasn’t been mentioned once. But all in all, would winding it up make the steering wheel controls and horn work again? I’m still curious about this “switch” mentioned above.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ummm, Jeepwalker was just a little early with his April 1st joke…

best,
DG

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Ummm, Jeepwalker was just a little early with his April 1st joke…

best,
DG
I’m new to this forum, was genuinely hoping to find some help. Yet, people still taking the time to log on, search the forums, and post responses with some bs troll crap. What does he have going on his day where he can even do that? What a waste of everyone’s time and a reveal of your character. I suppose I’ve come to the wrong place looking for help. Thanks anyhow.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awww...c'mon. Just having a bit of fun. I answer a lot of owner's questions.

Other's answered it pretty well. Remove steering wheel is the likely next step (cause it's cheap to do).

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
So about a year ago, I noticed the audio controls on my steering wheel stopped working, as well as the horn. Cruise control, dome lights, etc all work properly. No codes thrown, no airbag light has come on. After extensive research, it HAD to be the clock spring! Right? Well I just replaced it and it’s still not working, but NOW my “service airbag soon” alert shows when I start the truck (I presume that’ll just off by itself). I checked all the fuses (fuse #49 specifically), all ‘appear’ to be fine. No obvious broken fuses, some looked a little charred than others, but no breaks in them. Any ideas on what this may be?! I’m going crazy!!

My truck:
2015 RAM 1500 Lone Star 4X4
Crew Cab, 5.7L V8 HEMI
6” Suspension Lift
80K Miles, second owner

Could you post a few pics of the front of your Ram?

Ive been contemplating the same grill you have.

Thanks. :waytogo:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m new to this forum, was genuinely hoping to find some help. Yet, people still taking the time to log on, search the forums, and post responses with some bs troll crap. What does he have going on his day where he can even do that? What a waste of everyone’s time and a reveal of your character. I suppose I’ve come to the wrong place looking for help. Thanks anyhow.
You should not get so uptight , it was an attempt at humor that you missed apparently. This is not a paid service ,we come here to share our truck stories , issues , and try to help one another if possible . Lots of the best info comes from members who logon several times a day,you are not a special case . Maybe but that’s for a different forum . Nother tempt at humor.

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
You should not get so uptight , it was an attempt at humor that you missed apparently. This is not a paid service ,we come here to share our truck stories , issues , and try to help one another if possible . Lots of the best info comes from members who logon several times a day,you are not a special case . Maybe but that’s for a different forum . Nother tempt at humor.
I’m not uptight, just don’t like being trolled. “Lots of best info”, just amazing grammar..

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I’m not uptight, just don’t like being trolled. “Lots of best info”, just amazing grammar..
Grammar don't matter if you're getting help. My first suggestion is get a NEW clock Spring used $hit will always break ur heart. Then if that doesn't work the left side of the steering wheel has the button cluster for the dic and voice command that's the next place you go.

And stop whining, were all a family around here stick around long enough you'll be doing the razzing too it's all in good fun.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Grammar don't matter if you're getting help. My first suggestion is get a NEW clock Spring used $hit will always break ur heart. Then if that doesn't work the left side of the steering wheel has the button cluster for the dic and voice command that's the next place you go.

And stop whining, were all a family around here stick around long enough you'll be doing the razzing too it's all in good fun.
^^^This ^^^
As I mentioned in my previous post you got a bad used clockspring just by the fact your airbag now has a fault. Most likely not the only thing wrong with it. Maybe that's one of the reasons that truck was in a junkyard. Spend the extra money & get a new one. Sure it costs more but how much is your sanity worth?

hollinger13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 outdoorsman
Engine
Ecodiesel
100% the clock spring. Get a new Mopar one that's for your serial number. There are a few different numbers out there so make sure it's the correct one. If only the cruise works it's always the clock spring. This is one part that you never want to cheap out on and get used. You have no airbag right now. The stereo controls are one thing to have not working, the airbag is another.

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
100% the clock spring. Get a new Mopar one that's for your serial number. There are a few different numbers out there so make sure it's the correct one. If only the cruise works it's always the clock spring. This is one part that you never want to cheap out on and get used. You have no airbag right now. The stereo controls are one thing to have not working, the airbag is another.
Ok awesome, it’s hard to find info like that while searching around the web, so thank you. A new one from RAM is like $560, I’ll shop around and see if I can an OEM Mopar one for a little better deal. Thanks again!

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op, out of curiosity, when you got the service airbag light, did you have the airbag plugged in or were you just testing the clock spring. I read the entire 2 pages but either overlooked that detail or it was not mentioned. If you turned your key on with the airbag unplugged it will set a code and you will need to clear the code. Or it will reoccur for a few key cycles after you plug the airbag back in.

I just had my airbag and steering wheel off this weekend so ask me how I know

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Op, out of curiosity, when you got the service airbag light, did you have the airbag plugged in or were you just testing the clock spring. I read the entire 2 pages but either overlooked that detail or it was not mentioned. If you turned your key on with the airbag unplugged it will set a code and you will need to clear the code. Or it will reoccur for a few key cycles after you plug the airbag back in.

I just had my airbag and steering wheel off this weekend so ask me how I know
What were you doing with your wheel off? ;) haha