Horn & Audio Controls Not Working, NOT Clock Spring issue! PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
What were you doing with your wheel off? ;) haha
Well since you asked, and not trying to hijack the ops thread, I was installing, my shiny new accessories.

Thanks again @Brandon-w

Attachments

• 20230325_175144.jpg
    20230325_175144.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230325_175140.jpg
    20230325_175140.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230325_175136.jpg
    20230325_175136.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 25

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well since you asked, and not trying to hijack the ops thread, I was installing, my shiny new accessories.

Thanks again @Brandon-w
Hey i got some of them funny looking thingies on my steering wheel to,lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4034 (2).JPG
    IMG_4034 (2).JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 5

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I want a supercharger and nos!
Turbo charger and nitrous go together like peanut buttar and jelly lol. Nitrous creates instant torque and exhaust heat to spool the turbo faster. Look at the diesal guys,compound turbo's and a good shot of nitrous,sometimes makes for a hell'va bang though:Big Laugh:

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Op, out of curiosity, when you got the service airbag light, did you have the airbag plugged in or were you just testing the clock spring. I read the entire 2 pages but either overlooked that detail or it was not mentioned. If you turned your key on with the airbag unplugged it will set a code and you will need to clear the code. Or it will reoccur for a few key cycles after you plug the airbag back in.

I just had my airbag and steering wheel off this weekend so ask me how I know
It was plugged in. The light turned off after a day of driving.

Kingjinx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Sport 5.7
Hi, I had the same problem on my 2014 sport, fixed it myself it's a recall repair error!! Check that the wires are secure in the steering wheel plug had to de-pin n solder, also check further up the wire had a few more hidden breaks.

Attachments

• IMG-20230218-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230218-WA0002.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

angel2me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any update? I have searched for hours for the answer and there doesn't seem to be a straightforward one. I have a 2021 with 15k miles on it.

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Any update? I have searched for hours for the answer and there doesn't seem to be a straightforward one. I have a 2021 with 15k miles on it.
I have to buy a new clock spring and try it out. They’re $526 from the dealership, so doing some shopping around first

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you done any true diagnostics on it or looked at a wiring diagram? If not you are kinda' just throwing parts at it and hoping you guess the right thing. It could be the clock spring causing the issue, and you could just happen to have got a used clock spring with the exact same issue....but maybe something else. Always nice to be able to test out the used parts but not always an option. You don't have to be one of those YouTube diagnostic guru's but there are a few things you can check.
- I would get a wiring diagram and see what the radio controls and horn share in common in the circuit. My guess is they go into the same connector at some point or share a common power feed. Also verify if the cruise control circuit uses a different connector or power feed. This will tell you where to look.
- Haven't really messed with a clock spring but would think there is some way to test it? Maybe check continuity on the connectors on both sides? That would tell you if there was a break in the circuit causes by the clock spring.
- At least do a closer visual look at the wiring and connectors in the steering wheel or column. Not saying to just yank on all the wires, but you should be able to apply a decent amount of pull on the wires going into the connectors without them ripping out.

I do almost all of my own work because I don't like having to pay a shop....but there is also a point in time where you have to think about whether paying the diagnostic fees of a decent shop is better than spending a bunch of money on parts. Not sure what you paid for the used clock spring, that didn't work, and now you are looking at paying $500 for a new clock spring that may or may not work. You can quickly get to the point where you are spending more money on random parts than just biting the bullet and paying the diagnosis fees from a shop........and if they guess wrong and replace the wrong parts, they are the ones that should eat the cost.

OP
OP
TurboTruck

TurboTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Have you done any true diagnostics on it or looked at a wiring diagram? If not you are kinda' just throwing parts at it and hoping you guess the right thing. It could be the clock spring causing the issue, and you could just happen to have got a used clock spring with the exact same issue....but maybe something else. Always nice to be able to test out the used parts but not always an option. You don't have to be one of those YouTube diagnostic guru's but there are a few things you can check.
- I would get a wiring diagram and see what the radio controls and horn share in common in the circuit. My guess is they go into the same connector at some point or share a common power feed. Also verify if the cruise control circuit uses a different connector or power feed. This will tell you where to look.
- Haven't really messed with a clock spring but would think there is some way to test it? Maybe check continuity on the connectors on both sides? That would tell you if there was a break in the circuit causes by the clock spring.
- At least do a closer visual look at the wiring and connectors in the steering wheel or column. Not saying to just yank on all the wires, but you should be able to apply a decent amount of pull on the wires going into the connectors without them ripping out.

I do almost all of my own work because I don't like having to pay a shop....but there is also a point in time where you have to think about whether paying the diagnostic fees of a decent shop is better than spending a bunch of money on parts. Not sure what you paid for the used clock spring, that didn't work, and now you are looking at paying $500 for a new clock spring that may or may not work. You can quickly get to the point where you are spending more money on random parts than just biting the bullet and paying the diagnosis fees from a shop........and if they guess wrong and replace the wrong parts, they are the ones that should eat the cost.
Thanks, yeah I have the diagram and looked for obvious signs of wear on all the harnesses while I was in there. I’m not very savvy with the electrical stuff, I could swap the motor out, turbocharge it, and install a suspension lift.. but when the continuity and voltage meters come out, I hand the job over. The used clock spring was $40.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes people post some strange replies , but sometimes things are so screwed up you need to have a laugh .My 2022 has a possessed radio , never know what it will do . Very frustrating, but if you don't laugh you will go nuts . Good luck with your truck .