How can I verify FCM/TIPM compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savage109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wife calls me last week and let's me know that she turned off her 2012 Ram 1500 5.7l off and while the gauge cluster went dead the engine continued to run. So I plug in a code reader and I've got a handful of can bus issues. TIPM, ABS, and FCM codes. Everything but the FCM clears. It is my understanding that the TIPM and FCM are housed together so I pulled it out cleaned the connectors and reseated everything. Started the truck back up and I still have the FCM comm code.

So I see some used part options are available, but I have read that FCM firmware has to match PCM firmware for communication. Is this true? If so how can I verify firmware matches?

Oh and just to make matters more complex I bought this truck used and the guy before me really messed this truck up so I have no confidence that the PCM or FCM are original. VIN may not be a viable option.

Any help is really appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Savage109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An update for anyone else that is having TIPM FCM issues: while I do still have the comms code, the truck has been asymptomatic since unplugging the TIPM harnesses cleaning them and putting them back together.

For all I know this truck could have had U0141 for longer than I've had it.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
TIPM/PCM I bought mine brand new OEM when I had issues. I think you can buy refurbished but it needs to be programmed by a shop or dealer. If dealer they probably will do it with parts purchased from them only. Luckily my mechanic has the software to do this so it was a little cheaper than the stealership.