How do you permanently turn down the "new text message from..."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilliantnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
like the title says, It makes me jump out of my skin every time I get a text message because its so damn loud

I can turn it down after it starts or turn the do not disturb but has to be done every time.. what's the way to turn it down or off permanently?

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Down would be through the volume settings on your phone. Same with if you want to turn it off completely. Go to your permission settings and turn off text under Uconnect.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Down would be through the volume settings on your phone. Same with if you want to turn it off completely. Go to your permission settings and turn off text under Uconnect.
that does not work on my 2020 2500. it is crazy how loud it is. I can have my phone volume turned all the way down and when I get a call or text it

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There are 2 different volume levels within the uconnect system. 1st is the primary system volume, ie radio, on-board nav etc, that is done while the radio is playing. The 2nd is ONLY while the phone is making noise, either via car play or a phone call, etc. You'll actually see the volume bar change colors depending which one is active at the time.

OP
OP
brilliantnick

brilliantnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There are 2 different volume levels within the uconnect system. 1st is the primary system volume, ie radio, on-board nav etc, that is done while the radio is playing. The 2nd is ONLY while the phone is making noise, either via car play or a phone call, etc. You'll actually see the volume bar change colors depending which one is active at the time.

I noticed this, the volume for notifications can be set when that notification sound is active

After playing around with it for a while, I figured its not just the phones 'new text notification' to which any phone setting doesn't matter because its the software within Uconnect itself that is sending the notification.

When my phone is actively playing music for example, it plays the text notification just fine because my phone instead of sending notice through software to uconnect, it just plays it overtop the music, which as I have it set is just soft chime over muted music.

I saw in the manual

When the audio system is turned on, the sound will be set at the same volume level as last played.

But it does not remember this 'notification' volume setting. This lead me to different google searches, which lead to

ram1500 notification volume

first hit;
"text-notification-way-too-loud"

and another

So apparently this is been a thing for years and we are still waiting for a thing as simple as saving notification volume setting.

on the bright side, at least its one less bit of proof that I'm insane. (jury's still out)

found a video.. forgot about the nav volume too

If any software dev that programs this reads this... it would be very nice and I think simple to have a single page where you can display and adjust (AND SAVE) all volume settings for each mode available

Last edited:

mikepol2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reviving an old thread to hopefully save someone some money and aggravation...

At the advice of RamCares, I took my 2019 to the dealer to have the software updated from 21.14.14 to 22.34.11 to try and solve this problem. So tired of driving a truck that I can't pair my phone with because of how loud incoming texts are. Paid $101 and wasted 2 hours, all for nothing...

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
quick on the draw...next time while it is happening turn down the volume. I learned this on my Durango and it is the same for my 3500.

mikepol2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
quick on the draw...next time while it is happening turn down the volume. I learned this on my Durango and it is the same for my 3500.

That's what the video in my post is showing, I am turning it down while it is reading the text but it immediately turns it back up to volume 15 next time.