How do you reset ECU to factory new settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cesartjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello
I bought a 2015 1500 crew cab 4x4 with v8 hemi. The mile range on a full tank of gas is around 200 miles only.
The truck has 33" tires bfg a/t's.
I disconnected both battery terminals overnight to try to get the ecu/pcm to reset to the factory settings as new.
It did not work .
All the radio settings and time settings and miles to empty stayed the same.

How can I reset the ecu to factory new?
I have disconnected the battery in the past on my other cars and it works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The range to empty is calculated by the current average fuel economy, any resetting of those values would be done on the dash itself using the buttons on the steering wheel.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You reset the ECU to stock using a dealer scantool. Powering down the PCM does not reset the programming.

It will, however, clear a code that was left by a fault that has since been corrected or caused by a momentary fault that isn't repeated at the next key cycle.

dale197338

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
Hemi
Not sure it these rams have this but on my Challenger I'd pull two fuses for 5 mins and the ecm and tranny would reset to relearn your style of driving. But can't remember what they were. The fuse cover should tell you what each one goes to

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "range to empty" on the dash is just a guestimate. Fill the tank. Write down the mileage. Run it to 1/8th tank. Go fill it back up. Look at you mileage again. Bust out your calculator. That's the REAL number.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452