How do you turn off text message announcement on Uconnect 8.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything, nor did I see anything on Uconnect's site. So I'm hoping someone here knows the easy answer.

How do you turn off the text message section on Uconnect's 8.4? Getting an announcement every minute is really annoying, and the only solution I found in the menus was to put it on Do Not Disturb mode. What I want to do is not have Uconnect mess with texts at all.

If it matters, I have a Moto Z2 Play Android. I looked in my text message app and the Bluetooth connection on the phone but didn't see any "disable text" option.

Thanks!

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, I answered my own question, but I'll put it in here for archival purposes.

The way to do this is to first "forget" the UConnect system in your phone's Bluetooth. Then go into the truck and delete the phone from the UConnect system. When that's done, start all over again. When you get to the point that it recognizes the pairing on your phone, your phone *should* start asking you permission questions. One of the questions is whether or not you want the Bluetooth connection to have access to SMS (messaging). Say "No" on that and check "Don't ask me again" if that's an option (I believe I had to do this twice, as it asked me a second time later if I wanted it to have access). Once you've done that, if you go into "Phone" on the UConnect, you should see that "Messaging" is kind of grayed-out. If you click it (is that what it's called?), you'll get a message that says something like "Messaging not supported on this Bluetooth connection".

On a side note, at the same time I did all of this I installed the "Android Auto" app on my phone. What a cool app! Awesome navigation right on the screen, any of your music/music apps on your phone, and a few other things besides. If you have the "Waze" app installed, you can use either Google Maps or Waze for your navigation. I prefer Google Maps, but either work. And it works, and looks, just like any Garmin or similar GPS program. Nice job, Dodge!

For the Android Auto app, you install it through Google Play and it will come on automatically in your UConnect system when you plug your phone into the USB port. I used Port #1, since that seemed logical - don't know if it works on the others or not. You can also turn it off if you don't want it.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you already know this stuff but I couldn't find anything on getting rid of text messages, so hopefully this will be helpful to someone in the future.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you got it figured out and thanks for posting how you did it!!!

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, on an iPhone, all you have to do is flip the switch on the side of the phone to silence it. Notifications will stop, but music will still play.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW, on an iPhone, all you have to do is flip the switch on the side of the phone to silence it. Notifications will stop, but music will still play.

Good to know!!!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Tried this today and it didn’t work for me, still got the notifications...

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried this today and it didn’t work for me, still got the notifications...

Can you elaborate? You might still get a visual notification, but it should not mute the radio or music streaming from the phone.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you elaborate? You might still get a visual notification, but it should not mute the radio or music streaming from the phone.

It still gave me audio notification, i’ll try it again this weekend and report back.

Jim Royce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
What I did - iPhone - go into Bluetooth settings, click the “info” button on Uconnect, slide the “Show notifications” to off.