How far would you feel comfortable traveling with this setup? (pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife and I have been looking high and low for a right fit for our truck. I know we're toward the top end on the scale, and everything is purchased, so no going back now... having said that, what type of trip would you feel comfortable doing with this setup? Two adults, and two pre-teens.

2016 Ram 1500, 3.21 gears, crew cab, 5.7 Hemi.

2018 Coleman Lantern 274bh.
28.58 feet in length
Dry weight 4676 + Payload Capacity 2924 = GCWR 7600
Hitch Weight 568

I have added a Husky 32218 Center Line TS weight distribution bar.

Knowing all this, and being my first time hauling something this size... is this setup capable of cross country traveling into the mountains? Or is this really more of a setup for 200-300 mile local camp sites?

The best part, everything is paid for! Upgrading to a bigger truck isn't an option for me, because we have the MOPAR lifetime warranty... so I'm invested in this truck and don't plan to replace it.

What say you? And thanks for the opinions!
Truck1.png
Truck2.png

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
*I* would take it to the mountains.

I don’t recommend you do it. Because you have no experience. Maxed out on towing + mountain driving is a recipe for something bad.

Simply take a few short trips close to home and see how you feel and how the combination handles. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

I’d never recommend a major trip with a brand new RV anyway. Shakedown cruises close to home are always best for new rigs.

PS your first trip should be to the scales, loaded for camping. It will be informative.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*I* would take it to the mountains.

I don’t recommend you do it. Because you have no experience. Maxed out on towing + mountain driving is a recipe for something bad.

Simply take a few short trips close to home and see how you feel and how the combination handles. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

I’d never recommend a major trip with a brand new RV anyway. Shakedown cruises close to home are always best for new rigs.

I agree with you there! We have a short trip planned for this weekend, and definitely want to test things out with short trips. I've pulled a landscaping trailer behind me, but this is quite different pulling that house on wheels!

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you're geared for that trailer, a long mountain pull is going to be tough on that transmission.
If gearing is a concern, that can be swapped out at some point, right? I know 3.21 isn't ideal for towing, but better for gas mileage.

Second thought, scratch the idea of swapping gears... just looked that up on the ol' google and sounds like an expensive switch...

Last edited:

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If gearing is a concern, that can be swapped out at some point, right? I know 3.21 isn't ideal for towing, but better for gas mileage.

Are you two or four wheel drive? Just doing a rear axle of a 2WD is much cheaper for a regear. Also, what kid of 20" tires do you have? Hopefully load range E.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you two or four wheel drive? Just doing a rear axle of a 2WD is much cheaper for a regear. Also, what kid of 20" tires do you have? Hopefully load range E.
We have 4 wheel drive. Yeah, I just googled the swap for 3.92 and that ain't happening!
The tires are Yoko Golander A/T G/015. They are not the 'E' rated tires. Is that a problem?

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have 4 wheel drive. Yeah, I just googled the swap for 3.92 and that ain't happening!
The tires are Yoko Golander A/T G/015. They are not the 'E' rated tires. Is that a problem?

P-Metrics? Yes, you'll have exceeded the load rating of the tires. Are they at least an LT? Where this is a huge concern for you is in the heat generated under load, especially your rear tires. A nearly 600lb tongue weight on those is a bit much. I travel the I-40 all the time and see lots of trucks on the grade coming out of Bullhead City with a blown rear tire from the combination of load and heat buildup. We have two Rams, one has P-Metrics but all I ever haul in it is a 100lb wife and a 60lb dog.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mileage with 3.21s is nice, with the P-Metrics on my 1500 we averaged 21 mpg through UT, WY, NV, WA, OR, AZ and CA last month. Their lighter weight and rolling resistance is why I put them on. I had those same Geolandars on a work truck before I retired last year, a real nice tire, I really liked them.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P-Metrics? Yes, you'll have exceeded the load rating of the tires. Are they at least an LT? Where this is a huge concern for you is in the heat generated under load, especially your rear tires. A nearly 600lb tongue weight on those is a bit much. I travel the I-40 all the time and see lots of trucks on the grade coming out of Bullhead City with a blown rear tire from the combination of load and heat buildup. We have two Rams, one has P-Metrics but all I ever haul in it is a 100lb wife and a 60lb dog.
They are SL tires. Soooo... learning the more I go.... so I probably need to go with a different tire? Any recommendations?
Would I be okay just replacing the rear tires?

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mileage with 3.21s is nice, with the P-Metrics on my 1500 we averaged 21 mpg through UT, WY, NV, WA, OR, AZ and CA last month. Their lighter weight and rolling resistance is why I put them on. I had those same Geolandars on a work truck before I retired last year, a real nice tire, I really liked them.
Just replied to another post, so the base SL Geolander won’t be sufficient? Need their E rated tire?

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replied to another post, so the base SL Geolander won’t be sufficient? Need their E rated tire?

I would not tow with less than an E just because I've had tire failures in the past and I learned long ago that good tires are cheap insurance. I also wouldn't mix tires on a 4x4. What is the size and load rating of that tire?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You seem kind of set on doing this with what you have instead of the optimal setup despite the advice given here. It could work or end up like this ....

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to the Yokohama site and looked at the specs. If those have 115H on the sidewall you will fall within the weight range. Give them a shot, watch them, rotate them regularly.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You seem kind of set on doing this with what you have instead of the optimal setup despite the advice given here. It could work or end up like this ....

No, I'm not set on doing this with what I have... other than physical truck and physical trailer. Like I said, learning as I go, and didn't consider needing different tires. I've read every word of advice. Thanks for the input.
And besides, that video doesn't have anything to do with the tire, and everything to do with the driver. Taking that corner way too fast for what he was pulling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to the Yokohama site and looked at the specs. If those have 115H on the sidewall you will fall within the weight range. Give them a shot, watch them, rotate them regularly.

Yes, those are 115H. And I just bought them this year... and have probably less than 5000 miles on them. At the time, I wasn't considering towing anything, to know to ask for 'E' rated. Just replaced what I had.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Check your payload too. Go here https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html and follow the Look Up My Vehicle link, you can enter your VIN and find out what your truck's actual payload is, given whatever trim level and so forth. It's not to the pound, but it's a lot closer than the generic sticker. Also, I agree with another member here, take the fully loaded combo to a CAT scale to see your real world numbers.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your payload too. Go here https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html and follow the Look Up My Vehicle link, you can enter your VIN and find out what your truck's actual payload is, given whatever trim level and so forth. It's not to the pound, but it's a lot closer than the generic sticker. Also, I agree with another member here, take the fully loaded combo to a CAT scale to see your real world numbers.

So I went to that site and figured at about 8050 pounds, which is about what I thought. I then signed into my MOPAR page and got the specifics on my 2016 truck and this is what it shows.

Max Payload

1372 lb (622.69 kg)

Max Towing

8272 lb (3752.48 kg)

I also called the tire distributor I've been to for years, and he says I'm within tolerance. And having the transfer bar will help. Not arguing what others have said about getting 'E' rated tires, those would be preferred. But I only have about 5000 miles on these, and sure don't like spending money where I don't have to. He also said if I put E rated tires on that truck I would hate the ride of them. I guess the next best thing to do would be to have a spare set just to be able to swap out when getting ready for a trip. Not sure if we'll get 5 to 8 uses a year out of the trailer... no idea at this point!

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, those are 115H. And I just bought them this year... and have probably less than 5000 miles on them. At the time, I wasn't considering towing anything, to know to ask for 'E' rated. Just replaced what I had.

I get it. I bought mine for a purpose. In retrospect, I should have gone with an LT tire but I was setting it up as an "around the towner", who thinks about future needs at the shop counter? It's more like, "do you have my size and how much are they?". Try them out, watch the sidewalks, your tire pressure, and feel the rears for heat when you stop.

Last edited:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
So I went to that site and figured at about 8050 pounds, which is about what I thought. I then signed into my MOPAR page and got the specifics on my 2016 truck and this is what it shows.

Max Payload

1372 lb (622.69 kg)

Max Towing

8272 lb (3752.48 kg)

I also called the tire distributor I've been to for years, and he says I'm within tolerance. And having the transfer bar will help. Not arguing what others have said about getting 'E' rated tires, those would be preferred. But I only have about 5000 miles on these, and sure don't like spending money where I don't have to. He also said if I put E rated tires on that truck I would hate the ride of them. I guess the next best thing to do would be to have a spare set just to be able to swap out when getting ready for a trip. Not sure if we'll get 5 to 8 uses a year out of the trailer... no idea at this point!
Yep, I figured you'd be in the 1300 payload range. Gotta subtract people, gear and tongue weight from your max payload and see where you are. I suspect you'll be close if not a little over. Lots of members here have lots of opinions on THAT topic, I'll leave it alone. If it were me, I'd load up for the trip and get to a CAT scale. You'll know instantly what you need to change.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963