How hot does it get in the bed under a black tonneau?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MateoQueFeo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those in hot climates, how hot does it get under black tonneau covers?

I imagine it's like an oven.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh it is an OVEN! I have slept under my tonneau cover when I was hunting and even early morning, I was melting.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I am wondering about your question. Do you want to cover the box or not.
If you want a cover, then just do it. The temp does not matter a twit....

It was 109 in Pheonix today. So I suppose you won't sleep in the bed of
your pickup.......

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I was looking at alternatives for insulating my attic, I had found that the repeated average temperature that addicts get to is 150° in the summer. It would stand a reason that the space inside the bed under a tonneau cover could meet or exceed those temperatures as well. Probably exceed because there's no cross ventilation as they're normally is in an attic. Best thing to do is put a thermometer sensor in there and watch the temperature gauge that you keep external.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Leer hard cover painted Vanilla Ice. Put a thermometer under it today. In Orlando, with rain it was 105, outside temps in the 80s.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate the PPL who drive around in their mighty fine Air Conditioned trucks and the poor dog is in the bed, no mat, nothing but hot metal. That always makes me mad, must just be me. Only 102 here today, be 106 next couple of days, argh.....

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am wondering about your question. Do you want to cover the box or not.
If you want a cover, then just do it. The temp does not matter a twit....

It was 109 in Pheonix today. So I suppose you won't sleep in the bed of
your pickup.......
HAHA no hunting season in the middle of summer here. That was in late October, high was in the 60s (higher elevation). Plain and simple, it gets unbearably hot in there, even when it is chilly outside.

The temp inside would matter for some storage items, groceries for example.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hate the PPL who drive around in their mighty fine Air Conditioned trucks and the poor dog is in the bed, no mat, nothing but hot metal. That always makes me mad, must just be me. Only 102 here today, be 106 next couple of days, argh.....
Missing the ocean breeze ? Lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ask someone that has a Mini Max Thermometer
It would capture both the High & Low Temperature & display the current temperature as well.

That someone should be in the Arizona Desert

The outdoor temperature tomorrow should be about 116 F for the next 2 or 3 days

All the regular tests done are recording the inside of a vehicle that has glass surrounding it.
That temperature is 140 to 152 F

The factor that they don't give in that equation is, what the outdoor temperature reading was & was it on pavement, like a shopping mall parking area

There is a study done for temperatures inside of a moving van, but again, they don't mention the color of the van or the outside temperature

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Missing the ocean breeze ? Lol
U mean dat real nice breeze in April, early May on the Boardwalk? Oh Yeah.

The only time my "deceased" wife ever saw the Atlantic, Sept 2001. (Seaside Heights) toward Seaside Park There.

Lyn Seaside Hts, NJ.jpg

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Opened the tailgate at the golf course once to pull out the cart and bag and there's bits of white plastic all over. I'm like wth? A lighter I had in the flip compartment of my Clicgear cart had exploded, blew open the lid and scattered debris everywhere. Retrax metal cover with 95 degree days, never did that one again. So yeah it gets hot.

Sturoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Get a full cap / topper on it and you can slide a window open a bit for ventilation.

MarkH13

Reaction score
I have the Undercover tonneau on mine and it does get hot but not as hot as I ever expected it to. It seals very good so there is not much heat escape until the tailgate is opened. I think having the carpet on the undersideof it helps some instead of just being metal. I'll try to get a temperature reading on mine in the next few days. I'm in south Alabama and it's definitely hot here...94 with a heat index of 103 right now.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

on our 107 degree days here in south Texas ran a temp test using an electronic temp gauge and reader. With the tonneau cover closed the bed temp got to 120, with the cover off it got to 117. Not a lot of difference. The bed does not have a bed liner on it, only a bed matt on the bottom. Bet if it had a full bed liner the temp would be about the same with or without the tonneau being closed.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Love the brisket idea. I use to cook food as I traveled in my Jaguar because the engine design was perfect between the two cams to place food and did it ever SMELL GOOD!!!! I am getting hungry just thinking about it again. LOL But this has me thinking if done in a select manner this could make for seriously good dinner while moving down the road. PLUS if they pulled that covid crap again, it would not matter about resturants being open or not. 2 thumbs up for the brisket idea.

Robert J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a wireless thermometer in mine today. Truck is in direct sun with outside temperature at 96 degrees. Thermometer in bed is reading 131 degrees.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I live near Virginia Beach, VA. It’s 92 here today and I used a IR temp gun and measured the bed under my black vinyl cover. It was 104. Keep in mind I used a cheap HarborFreight gun so it’s probably off a few degrees or more.