How snug does your 7-pin connector fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Pulled my dad's 12ft utility trailer today for the first time. I noticed the 7-pin trailer connector had just a slight side-to-side play/looseness when I plugged it into my truck. It went in far enough for the cover tab to secure it and everything was working. Is some play/looseness normal for a Ram connection? It fits tighter in my dad's truck (old Chevy that had the connection added). This is my first truck with a 7-pin. Thanks.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 06 Chevy was so tight I kept a small block of wood and rubber mallet to hammer it into place. My Ram is pretty loose - I can easily put it in by hand. If not for the small clip on the cover to hold it in place I'd be afraid it might fall out. It's worked perfectly on both trucks so I'm not sure if it matters as long as it stays put.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think how well the 7 pin fits depends on the prongs in the trailer plug. They can bend or get weak, they're easy enough to change.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have to fight mine in and out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have to fight mine in and out

Me too, at least the fifth wheel RV. The dump trailer fits perfectly as does the utility trailer and boat. I think it is more about the male end of the plug and not the female part since I've had varying results. I have had to take a knife to the male end of a seven way and add a coat of lubricant to get it to fit in.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have had to take a knife to the male end of a seven way and add a coat of lubricant to get it to fit in.

Ouch!

Sorry, had to be said. :)

I've noticed that the 4 way on mine is very tight fitting, haven't really had to use the 7 way yet. I've only got one trailer with a 7 way and it's sidelined right now.

-K

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 7 way is loose. I got a new (to me) 6x12 trailer where the previous owner must have dragged the plug on the street, so it wouldn't stay plugged in. Over enough bumps it would fall out.

I got a new plug for the trailer, cut the old off and installed it. It is still easy to plugin and remove, but with the spring loaded 7 way flap doing its job, it holds it in place without any movement.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is loose too. So loose I thought it was going to fall out to but it didn't. Brand new trailer.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine is tight and has been since new. I have to wiggle it side to side going in and out to get it fully seated.