How-To: 4th gen hemi cam installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very cool and educational write up,also the pictures are very defined to the work at hand better then a Chilton book in your hands

Thanks madtrucker2016! Yes it is a great write up. I followed Charonblk07 instructions to the the T! The install went accordingly I just wanted to know about the ticking noise after the install.

Ramnightmares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my cam due to bad lifter on cylinder 4 which messed up cam as well obviously. Changed all lifters and new cam. Did the zip tie trick on timing chain. Got it all back together but it runs terrible. Assuming I screwed up on the zip tie somehow some way. Anyone else experience this? I'm gonna pull tapping covers to check all springs ect then break front down and just reset timing from scratch. Although I'm no mechanic I can follow directions fairly well.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Ramnightmares, did you mark the phaser in 3 spots and put the phaser back exactly where you marked it?
Did you check for intake manifold leaks?

I changed my cam due to bad lifter on cylinder 4 which messed up cam as well obviously. Changed all lifters and new cam. Did the zip tie trick on timing chain. Got it all back together but it runs terrible. Assuming I screwed up on the zip tie somehow some way. Anyone else experience this? I'm gonna pull tapping covers to check all springs ect then break front down and just reset timing from scratch. Although I'm no mechanic I can follow directions fairly well.

Ramnightmares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I went exactly by his post to the T cause its the best thing I've found and is excellent how to. I just pulled intake and started checking cylinder 7 cause it's giving codes for cylinder 7. Well guess what over stressed and a little u Der experienced since this is my first time ever being inside and engine and I forgot to put plugs in cylinder 7. Gonna stick plugs in and put tapping cover back on and reassemble brake booster and I will see how it fires then.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you followed the steps to the T you should be good on the cam side . There are a lot of connections and it’s easy to miss one. I would do a once over with all the connections while your in there just to make sure everything is connected.

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks madtrucker2016! Yes it is a great write up. I followed Charonblk07 instructions to the the T! The install went accordingly I just wanted to know about the ticking noise after the install.

I've had mine back together for about a month now with the AMS Racing kit. I can't speak for what it sounded like prior to the swap, but I have the tick as well when fully warmed up. Seems to have quieted down a bit now that it's not 95 degrees every day. I'm going to try Redline 5w30 next oil change and see if that helps. It runs great and is as smooth as can be other than the tick. Hopefully the oil helps as many others have suggested.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the response msedly. Is your Tick towards the rear of the engine on the driver side? I haven’t had any time to really look into the tick but had a couple brief moments where I did and it almost sounds like it could be an exhaust manifold leak as I did replace the gaskets. But it’s just an assumption. The truck runs great except for that darn tick. I have been thinking about running the same Redline 5w30 but was worried about having issues with MDS. Did you remove your MDS?

ColeRamsWorld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stuck! I have put the new camshaft in and tried to put it back the same but it was off. Hard to turn with just the bolt and its fully in. Problem is the phaser won't line up because of the pin on camshaft is not in the same spot.

If I put the phaser on with how the cam is lined up now, phaser and my timing markings on the phaser don't line up with chain markings I have made.

Do I rotate the camshaft back to line up, but I would need a camshaft tool? Or did I miss up, Cam is certainly in and not looking to come out.

Thank you in advance.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should be able to pull the cam back out a little to get enough grip to turn it. Just go slow and be gentle. Or you can lightly bolt the phaser on the cam for leverage to turn it in the right position. Just keep an eye out making sure you don’t snag the timing chain and it fall off the crank sprocket.

ColeRamsWorld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should be able to pull the cam back out a little to get enough grip to turn it. Just go slow and be gentle. Or you can lightly bolt the phaser on the cam for leverage to turn it in the right position. Just keep an eye out making sure you don’t snag the timing chain and it fall off the crank sprocket.
Thank you! Popped the phaser on and was able to center it up.

Do you have to drop the oil pan to pull the oil pump off? Clean it out and I'd like to put a new guide on.

2012batteringRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your welcome. The oil pump is accessible from the front of the engine but you have to drop the pan to get to the oil pump pick up.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cool, came off old ones. That I missed something.

Btw, how important is the sponge thing between the solenoid plugs and air intake?
It's not..more just for noise ..maybe heat I just pulled it when I tore down and rebuilt mine others may disagree but no issue without it..

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

ColeRamsWorld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So
It's not..more just for noise ..maybe heat I just pulled it when I tore down and rebuilt mine others may disagree but no issue without it..

I fired up the truck in park and it was a bit rough and decided to shut it off.

Are you supposed to clear the codes if there are any before firing it up?

Also, my Diablo is not working so I have to call customer care. Can I still turn truck on in park? I

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So

I fired up the truck in park and it was a bit rough and decided to shut it off.

Are you supposed to clear the codes if there are any before firing it up?

Also, my Diablo is not working so I have to call customer care. Can I still turn truck on in park? I
I'd clear codes..and maybe prime engine prior to starting... if you have ignition key and not the push start... hold foot down on gas pedal and crank... it won't fire the motor but will build some oil pressure

ColeRamsWorld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So everything is back together and fired it up. Truck runs rough and got a P0300 code which is a general misfire.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it a crankshaft sensor or anything else? Did I mess up the timing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam