How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Maybe you guys could trade? I had a similar experience a hole back I got bought a multi switch from Benny and the same thing not even the tow haul or traction control would work so I may have a 2013 new in the box, gotta look and see if I can dig it up. The one I have now worked even before I installed the seats, the top row I mean. So I think there definitely is a comparability issue for different years.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just swapped all the buttons to my working one. I won't be any worse off if they won't work on it. Better actually since my tow/haul will work again. LOL! My tow hauls does work again. Sinc eI don't have wring for any of the seat stuff. None of the other buttons are going to light up anyway. I do have the seat wiring harness on the way. Hopefully this weekend I will get them all wired up. Still looking for a passenger seat but may have found one.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Not sure about the 1500 but the 2500 and the 3500 equipped with the auxiliary switched do not have any hard keys for the seats or wheel they just use the radio keys.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Not sure about the 1500 but the 2500 and the 3500 equipped with the auxiliary switched do not have any hard keys for the seats or wheel they just use the radio keys.
Time will tell. In looking at the backside & where it plugs into the rear of the switch bank. Both of these have the same 3 male pins sticking out of the unit itself. So I see no difference between the 2. Other than the one that came out of my rig had part #'s on it. The one out the Laramie had no part #'s on it but all the buttons. Well had the steering wheel & heated & cooled seats buttons.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if they did change the 2013 to 2014? I didnt even check for year when I found mine, I just ran across one that had the right buttons. I guess I got lucky!

I forgot the 2500's and up can have the Aux switches, although my dads power wagon Laramie has the heated and cooled buttons, heated wheels and parking sensors all the same as my truck, he must not have the aux buttons?

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see this is a thread for heated and cooled seats. Is it possible to add the cooled part to my '17 existing seats. I already have the heated seats and steering wheel option. I think I'll use the cooled option more here in Louisiana.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see this is a thread for heated and cooled seats. Is it possible to add the cooled part to my '17 existing seats. I already have the heated seats and steering wheel option. I think I'll use the cooled option more here in Louisiana.

Your truck should already have the necessary wiring for the ventilated seats to function but trying to retrofit your existing heated only seats would be extremely expensive and most likely extremely ineffective because the seats were not designed to be ventilated. The ventilated seats are specially designed for air to be drawn through them by the two electric fans. The heating pads are actually incorporated into the cooling feature as well. It is all one piece plus the foam is designed different under the seat. I would recommend trying to find a set of seats that are already ventilated out of a wrecked vehicle like the rest have done. It's definitely a much cheaper way for you to go and also much more effective.

Last edited:

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I finally finished my seat install today, still have to install the steering wheel. but like I stated before I didn't have any of the connectors or correct codes for my install, being that I hate wiring I have to give a huge shout out to deere guy, Mike hooked me up built me the harness I needed to do the install and was there at the drop of a dime when I had questions. I opted to keep my jumpseat and just wrap in a matching leather so I did not bother attempting to get the rear heated seats working either. ( maybe another day lol ) but again everything is working and as of now. I did have to have a buddy add the codes and everything is good to go.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Well I am now fairly certain that the auto comfort setting is stored in the seat module I swapped the seats back out and I had remote start heated seats again. I was going to swap out the modules but they are different as the one for the 5500 seats has rear heated seats the one for 1500 does not. I did not want to risk messing something up. Perhaps there is a way to enable it with the AE. If not its not that big of a deal everything else works perfectly.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I am now fairly certain that the auto comfort setting is stored in the seat module I swapped the seats back out and I had remote start heated seats again. I was going to swap out the modules but they are different as the one for the 5500 seats has rear heated seats the one for 1500 does not. I did not want to risk messing something up. Perhaps there is a way to enable it with the AE. If not its not that big of a deal everything else works perfectly.

My module is for rear heated crew cab as well but do not have them installed. There are no adverse effects on the system as I can see. It does have the hidden codes for them missing. I would install that module in your seat to get the comfort settings back if you cant find it in the AE tool.

I would peck around but everything is working in mine and I know if I go looking Ill screw it up.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Its not just the module that is different the harness in the seat is as well. I chose to leave well enough alone. I will poke around myself. I may even buy a replacement module they are not very expensive and see if it works maybe they are set on at the factory.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not just the module that is different the harness in the seat is as well. I chose to leave well enough alone. I will poke around myself. I may even buy a replacement module they are not very expensive and see if it works maybe they are set on at the factory.

Really different harness as well. That sucks. Other than the OBDII plugin to activate it there has to be a way.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Interesting, and it makes sense. I wondered how you could have the auxiliary switches and heated cooled seats/heated steering wheel since you run out of dash switches to use :crazy:

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I know when Benny sent me seat harness part numbers they were different between just front heated seats and front and rear heated seats. I've seen pictures of heated seats with a pig tail hanging down that goes to the rear heated seat switch. Weird, since my front seat harnesses don't have the extra pig tail and yet my rear seats have the wiring for the rear heated seats as well as the under seat LED lighting. :crazy:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I know when Benny sent me seat harness part numbers they were different between just front heated seats and front and rear heated seats. I've seen pictures of heated seats with a pig tail hanging down that goes to the rear heated seat switch. Weird, since my front seat harnesses don't have the extra pig tail and yet my rear seats have the wiring for the rear heated seats as well as the under seat LED lighting. :crazy:

Is it possible your front seats are from a different truck than the rear ones?

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I don't think so. I had them shipped and was told rears were heated as well.

Seems like at a later date I can wire in a harness and switches as it seems these are not part of the radio or front panel switches as far as I can tell :crazy:

Is it possible your front seats are from a different truck than the rear ones?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Have to love some of these boneyard workers. The connector back-shells on my new seats have the slot used to hang them on the bracket broken off. Would it have been that hard just to unplug them, oh wait they unplugged them after they broke them. They still function perfectly but it bugs me, so trying to track down replacements. Being that there are a lot of wires to swap and one misstep could mean big problems the smart money would leave well enough alone, never said I was smart.

Funny I thought this mod would have been a whole lot more popular than it seeming to be. I'm sure the cost is a major deterrent for a lot of folks, as well as the difficulty in finding a decent set of seats unless you live in Canada. If you want Laramie Leather seats and you search on car-parts they all seem to be in Canada and shipping them from Canada into the US is a major PITA and expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny I thought this mod would have been a whole lot more popular than it seeming to be. I'm sure the cost is a major deterrent for a lot of folks, as well as the difficulty in finding a decent set of seats unless you live in Canada. If you want Laramie Leather seats and you search on car-parts they all seem to be in Canada and shipping them from Canada into the US is a major PITA and expensive.[/QUOTE]

I agree. When I bought my Laramie seats I got a complete set front and rear for 600.00. When I bought mine not to many people had even try ed to install them and just get the basic adjustment features wotking. I only bought them because they were such a good deal. I had them installed for years with only the power adjusting features working because we didnt think it was possible to activate the heated/ventelated feature. Unfortunately as we figure more out and actually get these things to work the prices go up. I remember when you could get the premium clusters and RA4 radios cheap. Wrecking yards had tons of them because no one thought they had any value. They have gone through the roof and now the seats have as well. Companies have standing orders with the major wrecking yards and get first dibs on alot of this stuff before the regular consumer (We) ever get a chance to buy it. It's all capitalism which is what this country was built on but it sucks that we do all the R&D to figure these things out only to have the prices go way up and the availability go way down. I love the heated/ventelated seats and heated wheel. I use them all the time. That being said I am not sure I would pay the outrageous prices alot if vendors are charging for these seats now.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They broke the clips off of my connectors too. I thought about swapping the ones from my other seats but I ended up just using zip ties.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They broke mine also. Since that's three of us now, I have the seat side connectors on order if anyone would like to replace the ones that were broken. PM me if you'd like a set.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My gray plug is broken too but one one side of the slot is still there. It will barley stay connected to the mounting tab.