How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Okay I have my 8.4 conversion harness coming now. I've had a few Issues with my vp4 8.4 radio I got from CuylerTech. Super stand up guy though. He's sending me a new radio to swap it. Appreciate him taking care of me.

So once I get it all I am sure my seats & steering wheel heater will all work again. Not to worried about the soft keys. Hearing about the issues with corrupt files using the AE tool worries me a little. So no rush to have those added. Hopefully early next week I'll be back in business

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
For anyone looking for seats, There are a decent amount for low money in Canada, Some near WA over the boarder and some around the middle of CA. Some will ship to the US, others will only ship within canada or local pickup. Multiple sets of Sport/Laramie for under $1K total.

Do you have any examples of places you have used or how you are searching?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's the whole issue. I don't know what I did specifically that messed it up. I'm very careful to take notes when I'm working on something so I can set everything back. But, the things I found that were wrong weren't anything that I had touched directly. I only noticed there was a problem months after I had last played with it, so it could have been anything that did it.

Ok, I've spent a bunch of time going through my notes and have a better idea of what happened. There are two things I know of that have been corrupted - RHD/LHD and vehicle make. These messed up my heated/cooled soft keys, gave me a default "UConnect" splash screen at startup instead of the RAM one, and replaced all my themes with a single default one.

Going back, I believe I have isolated how these got corrupted. The LHD/RHD is a result of changing the country code. At one point when I was trying to get DRLs working I had changed the code to Canada. Now I can't change one without it changing the other too. For the vehicle make, it looks like this is a result of messing with the "HVAC Configuration". Because I can't help myself from fixing stuff that ain't broken, I fiddled with this some time ago. I wanted to see what would happen if I switched it to ATC (spoiler alert: it's still MTC and the HVAC controls on the radio stop working). Now even if I switch it back, the value doesn't seem to be recognized.

So, these are the only two I know of right now. If you stuck to messing with only the seats and a few other things that others have done, you're probably OK. Just be very cautious in the future. For me, I think the AE is going to be retired from module configuration duty.

yohan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 ST Quad 4x4
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Here's a question, will 2012 heated/cooled seats work in a 2013 ?

Looks like there's a set at a yard withing driving distance of my city...

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

No air bags in either. So you should be fine. You'll still need to go through the same issues for wiring unless you already have heated seats.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No air bags in either. So you should be fine. You'll still need to go through the same issues for wiring unless you already have heated seats.

The 2013 seats do have airbags so if his does that will most likely be a problem. Also I think the actual wiring may be a little different for the 09 to 12 seats.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to make a quick post. I ordered a Seat Conversion Harness from Deer Guy (M2 Mods). The way I installed my seats works great but I really struggled with the tiny slots it the gray drivers seat connector. I doesn't look as clean as I would like so I decided to just install one of his harnesses. I got it today and the quality is awsome! It is very well made. All is the connectors are clearly labeled and it looks as close to a factory harness as you are going to find. This will make the conversion much easier for people wanting to attempt the upgrade. Hats off to these guys for becoming vendors on the forum and taking the time to make these harnesses for the members!

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I had someone inquire about building a harness for a 2013 truck and he claimed that the seat connectors were different. I had him send me pictures and he had 2012 seats that he was trying to put in a 2013 truck. The yellow connector was completely different but the gray connector looked the same. I took a quick look at the heated seat wiring diagrams for a 2012 truck and it was significantly different. I told him that I didn't think they will work, and I didn't know if switching out the CSWM may work, but it wasn't something I felt comfortable getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had someone inquire about building a harness for a 2013 truck and he claimed that the seat connectors were different. I had him send me pictures and he had 2012 seats that he was trying to put in a 2013 truck. The yellow connector was completely different but the gray connector looked the same. I took a quick look at the heated seat wiring diagrams for a 2012 truck and it was significantly different. I told him that I didn't think they will work, and I didn't know if switching out the CSWM may work, but it wasn't something I felt comfortable getting into.

Yup. The CSWM is completely incompatible. You might be able to swap them, but I don't know if there are differences as far as the heating elements and temp sensors. It's really not worth the hassle, IMO.

The biggest issue with 09-12 seats is that they don't have airbags in them. So, unless you have a 5500 that has no side airbags, that's a problem.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The 2013 seats do have airbags so if his does that will most likely be a problem. Also I think the actual wiring may be a little different for the 09 to 12 seats.

Ah my thoughts were off by a year. I'll just keep my mouth shut. LOL!

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Okay I have my 8.4 conversion harness coming now. I've had a few Issues with my vp4 8.4 radio I got from CuylerTech. Super stand up guy though. He's sending me a new radio to swap it. Appreciate him taking care of me.

So once I get it all I am sure my seats & steering wheel heater will all work again. Not to worried about the soft keys. Hearing about the issues with corrupt files using the AE tool worries me a little. So no rush to have those added. Hopefully early next week I'll be back in business

I received my 8.4 conversion harness today. At first nothing worked. The bezel was basically dead. No volume, Tuning or climate controls. I sent Mike a text & he asked what else I had put in. Gave him my hvac module numbers. Turns out they are from a 2500 with a 4 speed fan. Bought it off eBay & just didn't do enough research on the numbers that would work. Going to hit the yard tomorrow to see if I can find the right one. Also after sitting for 30 minutes it all started to work. Including my heated/cooled seats as well as the heated wheel.

The only thing is the fan speed turns off after 6. When I switch it to 7 it shuts down. Comes right back on at 6 or below. I'm pretty sure it is just the Hvac module not being right. Anyone have this issue before?

Deer guy actually made my this harness for me as well because Mike was backed up. Appreciated him working to get it to me. I am very close to the finish line now. I don't have the soft keys but could care less. The buttons all work even if they don't light up

Last edited:

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just wanted to make a quick post. I ordered a Seat Conversion Harness from Deer Guy (M2 Mods). The way I installed my seats works great but I really struggled with the tiny slots it the gray drivers seat connector. I doesn't look as clean as I would like so I decided to just install one of his harnesses. I got it today and the quality is awsome! It is very well made. All is the connectors are clearly labeled and it looks as close to a factory harness as you are going to find. This will make the conversion much easier for people wanting to attempt the upgrade. Hats off to these guys for becoming vendors on the forum and taking the time to make these harnesses for the members!

Ditto that. The harness from m2 mods is oem quality. Plus the labels on the wires will make it almost as easy as plug n play. Well worth it in my opinion.

Ruiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The biggest issue with 09-12 seats is that they don't have airbags in them. So, unless you have a 5500 that has no side airbags, that's a problem.

Hate to disagree, but '12 do have airbags.
Not sure about the 1500s, but the 25/3500s do.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hate to disagree, but '12 do have airbags.
Not sure about the 1500s, but the 25/3500s do.

Some, not all. They were introduced mid model year 2012. So, you're right. Technically 09-12.5 don't have them.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a new wrinkle. My passenger seat heat isn't working. Passenger cooling fan works fine. When I push the button it shows on the screen for a couple seconds then turns off. Drivers seat works fine. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say the first place to check would be your wiring. I would check to make sure the wiring from the passenger seat to the driver's seat has not come loose or some how have a bad connection or possibly a damaged wire. There's really no way for you to check the heated seat module because she don't have a scan tool.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a new wrinkle. My passenger seat heat isn't working. Passenger cooling fan works fine. When I push the button it shows on the screen for a couple seconds then turns off. Drivers seat works fine. Any ideas?

Like Rick said, check to make sure all terminals are seated properly and nothing happened to the wires. I'd start with the yellow i420 connector under the passengers seat. Pins 3, 4, 5 have to do with the heated seats. If they all seem seated correctly, then check continuity between the gray 20 pin connector under the driver's seat to the passenger seat connector. Pin 19 goes to 4, 3 to 3, and 15 to 5. Also if you could text me a picture of the yellow connector under the passenger seat that would be great. Did this just start or did it start after you did your 8.4 conversion?

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Like Rick said, check to make sure all terminals are seated properly and nothing happened to the wires. I'd start with the yellow i420 connector under the passengers seat. Pins 3, 4, 5 have to do with the heated seats. If they all seem seated correctly, then check continuity between the gray 20 pin connector under the driver's seat to the passenger seat connector. Pin 19 goes to 4, 3 to 3, and 15 to 5. Also if you could text me a picture of the yellow connector under the passenger seat that would be great. Did this just start or did it start after you did your 8.4 conversion?

Both worked I thought before the conversion. Tough to be sure as I never actually sat in my passenger seat. When I did the 8.4 they both quit & did the same thing my passenger seat is doing now. I do still need to get the proper hvac module. I should have my new 8.4 in the next day or 2 also. I also bought the proper switch bank. So even though my buttons work they don't light up. That should change this week as well. So I will get all my new stuff in & dbl check my wiring between the seats as well. Certainly possible one has come loose. Appreciate the tips on what to check. I will report what I find

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed my heated cooled seats from a 15 into my 15 over the weekend. I was replacing some 2014 heated only sport seats. (For sale in the classified section) I had working seats and wheel with the sport seats. I swapped out the seats and the switch bank (new, used a vin from a 15) for a switch bank with the correct heated cooled buttons and I have lost the heated wheel function. Hard button does not light up. The icon will light up on the radio when pressed for about 2 seconds. I hope to meet up with Deere Guy next week to see if adding the cooled code will fix everything.