How to clean 2015 Ram 1500 rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death, so if you can point me to the right thread that would be appreciated. Otherwise, can you tell me what finish these rims have and how to clean them up? Thanks.

rim2.jpg

rim.jpg

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death, so if you can point me to the right thread that would be appreciated. Otherwise, can you tell me what finish these rims have and how to clean them up? Thanks.

View attachment 227464

View attachment 227465
These wheels are Chrome Clad. The chrome wheel portion is plastic. A Meguiars or Mother's foam wheel ball or cone might clean your wheels with Meguiars Ultimate wheel cleaner or a chrome polish

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rvaj

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
Thanks very helpful. Got me going in the right direction and it looks like chrome polish is going to do the trick.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks very helpful. Got me going in the right direction and it looks like chrome polish is going to do the trick.

try not to neglect them to the point they get like that if you can. I would go with an acid wheel cleaner and then dawn dish soap to neutralize the acid followed by a nice polish or ceramic coating. Meguires wheel brighter is a decent one that can be easily acquired

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I would recommend taking your time 1 or two wheels at a time to clean them back to “like new” and put 3 coats of ceramic coating on them. IMO all wheels should be ceramic coated

OP
OP
rvaj

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
Point taken, I really let them go too far. Any suggestions on an acid wheel cleaner?

Keasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all wheels have clesrcost on them so using string acids,and such will ruin or dull,even discolor that coating , using straight Dawn and scrub brush is good start, then spray Simple Green on the wheel face and up Nd around the inside ,buy a good wheel brush allows you to get inside and under and around the caliper. So that dirt and brake dust will not bleed out onto your wheel face.
After wax to help the dust to slide off.
Address scuffs and black marks with the least abrasive a cation required to correct the problem. SOS Pdas do wonders start lightly as to not trash the clear coat, if clear coat is damaged you can buy whell clesr coat paint and repair that.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used wheel brightener with acid on my chrome clad wheels with great success but......

You have to be very careful or yes, damage can occur.

https://clean-garage.com/meguiars-d140-wheel-brightener-1-gallon-acid-based/

I dilute with water into a spray bottle. I buy wheel cleaner once every two years and I detail almost once a week multiple cars. Stuff lasts if you buy the gallon and dilute as per label. This is what professionals use to save money and it works fast and well

First presoak the wheel with mist water. Immediately apply the diluted acid wheel cleaner to the rim. I just spray it on heavy and then immediately brush with a soft brush. Thoroughly Rinse off with water right away. Do not attempt this process if you do not have immediate access to water. I do one wheel at a time and then follow up with chrome polish if there are any dirty spots.

I have had many Rams with chrome clad wheels and done this many times.

If you get ahold of ceramic spray coatings from turtle wax you can apply that to a clean rim and clean headlights to keep them looking cleaner longer and easier to wash.

OP
OP
rvaj

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
I ended up going with chrome polish, a conical foam brush fitted into my cordless drill, and some light spray on wax. Surprised myself by how nice it turned out.

IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1068.JPG

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They make a ceramic coating for wheels. You might look into some. It will make future clean up much much easier.
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They make a ceramic coating for wheels. You might look into some. It will make future clean up much much easier.
Jay

Correct, but for it's intended purposes make sure the wheel has clear coat, otherwise it won't last as long nor protect as well.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all wheels have clesrcost on them so using string acids,and such will ruin or dull,even discolor that coating , using straight Dawn and scrub brush is good start, then spray Simple Green on the wheel face and up Nd around the inside ,buy a good wheel brush allows you to get inside and under and around the caliper. So that dirt and brake dust will not bleed out onto your wheel face.
After wax to help the dust to slide off.
Address scuffs and black marks with the least abrasive a cation required to correct the problem. SOS Pdas do wonders start lightly as to not trash the clear coat, if clear coat is damaged you can buy whell clesr coat paint and repair that.

The only thing I agree with in this post is acidic cleaners can potentially discolor and etch into clear coated wheels.