How to fix computer for tire changing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to the tire place and got some 35’’x12.5’ bf k02s had an appointment with the dodge dealer to have them re-set the computer for the new tires. Had my truck in the shop for 30 mins and the service guy tells me they can’t do it???? Wtf? So I ask what’s up he goes not sure and said take it back to the tire guy. ??? Take my brand new less than a 1000 km truck to a tire shop?? All of a sudden I realized why it’s been 2002 since I had my last dodge. Is there any one who can help me with what I need to do?? As the dodge dealer can’t seem to help me. Thanks for any help. 1AA244F5-28BA-450C-A458-81281481E1AD.jpeg

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I use the alfaobd and a security bypass harness for my 2018 to reset / change about a million things, others have used i believe the Tazer or the AEV procal to reset their tire sizes. Either way there are a few options out there.

If your dodge dealer doesn't know how to do this simple thing i would be hesitant to have them do anywork on my truck.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
You can either use AlfaOBD, or you can buy something called a Tazer.

I bought a tazer, which allows me to calibrate the speedo for larger tires. Along with a bunch of other options.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you talking about resetting the tire pressure system so you can run lower pressure in the tires? Or maybe just recalibrating the speedometer. Being a little more specific would help. Keep in mind there are liability issues with a dealer changing a warning message for tire pressure.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your Ram dealer is correct the dealer no longer has the capability even if they wanted to to calibrate for bigger tires ie 35's. AEV procal snap is simple to use and will calibrate both for bigger tires and for lower psi threshold.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
your Ram dealer is correct the dealer no longer has the capability even if they wanted to to calibrate for bigger tires ie 35's. AEV procal snap is simple to use and will calibrate both for bigger tires and for lower psi threshold.
It is dealer by dealer. I had a RAM dealer do a factory recalibration for my 37s. They did not use a procal or superchip. I have a certified from FCA line of code added to my 2019 Power Wagon’s computer for the mounted under vehicle weight dealer measured diameter of my tires.

AEV procal is also a good option if you want to do it yourself. AEV says it does not void your warranty, some RAM dealers say otherwise.

As a side note, no dealer will adjust your TPMS values. Multiple dealers have stated it is a legal liability issue.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can either use AlfaOBD, or you can buy something called a Tazer.

I bought a tazer, which allows me to calibrate the speedo for larger tires. Along with a bunch of other options.
I did the same with my 21. Tazer worked well to change the tire size and the tire pressure limits so I don't always have the "Low Tire Pressure" indicator on all the time.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is dealer by dealer. I had a RAM dealer do a factory recalibration for my 37s. They did not use a procal or superchip. I have a certified from FCA line of code added to my 2019 Power Wagon’s computer for the mounted under vehicle weight dealer measured diameter of my tires.

AEV procal is also a good option if you want to do it yourself. AEV says it does not void your warranty, some RAM dealers say otherwise.

As a side note, no dealer will adjust your TPMS values. Multiple dealers have stated it is a legal liability issue.
according to @Fast69Mopar who is a dealership tech RAM Ram took the ability to calibrate for larger tires away a few years ago. Maybe he will see this and weigh in.

OP
OP
Tinman454

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you talking about resetting the tire pressure system so you can run lower pressure in the tires? Or maybe just recalibrating the speedometer. Being a little more specific would help. Keep in mind there are liability issues with a dealer changing a warning message for tire pressure.
Ok the full story I have never changed tire size on a truck but know that going from stock 33’’ tires to 35’’ tires you need to tell the vehicle the change for it to adjust the settings of certain things ie Speedo I went to my local dodge dealer to have them adjust the computer settings? Or what ever else they needed to do for the tire size change.I was just surprised at how the guy at the dealership acted like they had no clue what to do. I got home called the dealership we’re I bought the truck and talked to there service guy and he knew exactly what I was talking about and all about the programmers I could get and that dodge dealerships can’t do it. So I just had a bit of a learning curve about the way things work at this dealership I went to today. This is a major dealership in Canada’s capital and for them to be and the only word I can think of is incompetent is really surprising like how many guys work there they had my truck in the shop 25-30 mins and then come out and say they can’t do it and don’t know what’s up and to go back to my tire shop to see if they know what to do??so I figure it out and no big deal. Thanks for all the guys that posted up info on my thread. And if anyone knows anyone in Ottawa Ontario Canada that can hook me up pm me thanks. I am sure the next couple of years will be a huge learning curve for me but I am up for the challenge.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok the full story I have never changed tire size on a truck but know that going from stock 33’’ tires to 35’’ tires you need to tell the vehicle the change for it to adjust the settings of certain things ie Speedo I went to my local dodge dealer to have them adjust the computer settings? Or what ever else they needed to do for the tire size change.I was just surprised at how the guy at the dealership acted like they had no clue what to do. I got home called the dealership we’re I bought the truck and talked to there service guy and he knew exactly what I was talking about and all about the programmers I could get and that dodge dealerships can’t do it. So I just had a bit of a learning curve about the way things work at this dealership I went to today. This is a major dealership in Canada’s capital and for them to be and the only word I can think of is incompetent is really surprising like how many guys work there they had my truck in the shop 25-30 mins and then come out and say they can’t do it and don’t know what’s up and to go back to my tire shop to see if they know what to do??so I figure it out and no big deal. Thanks for all the guys that posted up info on my thread. And if anyone knows anyone in Ottawa Ontario Canada that can hook me up pm me thanks. I am sure the next couple of years will be a huge learning curve for me but I am up for the challenge.
Most people who work in service departments at dealerships only know how to do what a service code tells them to do. I have talked with a service tech at a jeep/ram dealer who did not know what a transfer case or e-lockers were.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
according to @Fast69Mopar who is a dealership tech RAM Ram took the ability to calibrate for larger tires away a few years ago. Maybe he will see this and weigh in.
I can well assure you they can if their dealership does. For my truck, FCA was willing to install a factory option code for up to 44” tires. I will attach a pic of the service paperwork in a few.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So for simplicity purposes the service paperwork just notes to set to 36”. The actual number programed in was like 36.31” or something which was the average from both rear wheels taken by the dealership with the tires mounted and the weight of the truck on them.

View attachment 247004

E6BF61B6-0E9C-420A-972D-BF00D4165D52.jpeg

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would suggest you invest in a DIY solution. (bypass cable & choice of Programmer) With one of my Jeeps I had done a slew of changes, tires, gears, TPMS etc They had a software update that basically removed all the programming changes. The tech was a fellow Jeeper and seen the AEV procal in the console and the cheat sheet with what I changed. He did a looksy at the settings and told me which ones had been reverted to default and saved me about an hour of re-updating to match the Jeep.

Anyway long story still long, if an update to the software reverts the setting(s) to default, do you want to have to go around looking for someone to update or be able to do it yourself.

OP
OP
Tinman454

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok well the learning curve keeps getting bigger lol I did my research on an after market programmer and found the ave pro cal snap to re set the tire size only problem they don’t ship to the great white north. ?? So I finally found a company called North ridge 4x4 that would ship to Canada. problem was they only had Jeep parts on there web site. I made a phone call and found out I can buy any a e v product that they make with them . So if any of you fellow Canadians need parts they seem to be a pretty good company. Best part was it will be here next week. Oh on top of all this it’s made in the good old U.S of A

TA-PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok well the learning curve keeps getting bigger lol I did my research on an after market programmer and found the ave pro cal snap to re set the tire size only problem they don’t ship to the great white north. ?? So I finally found a company called North ridge 4x4 that would ship to Canada. problem was they only had Jeep parts on there web site. I made a phone call and found out I can buy any a e v product that they make with them . So if any of you fellow Canadians need parts they seem to be a pretty good company. Best part was it will be here next week. Oh on top of all this it’s made in the good old U.S of A
So you had to call them to order? As they don’t list it on their website? If so I will have to call them up as I will be replacing my tires soon.

OP
OP
Tinman454

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep but you need the pro cal if your truck is a 2018 the new one I am getting is called the snap it’s for trucks 2019 and up. Go on AEV’s web site get the part number you need and call North ridge as they can get you any ave parts to us in Canada. Best part it was in stock and should be in Ottawa next week. One thing also about the new snap you need to pair it to the truck and it will only work with that truck so no group buys so a few guys could use it.

OP
OP
Tinman454

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They should pin this up top as it seems a lot of guys could use this info

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I used the Tazer system on my’19 PW to reset the computer for the actual size of my “37” KO2s (actually only a bit over 36”). It reset for the speedometer and shift points only. It will not let one reset the TPMS low pressure warning and inflate to setpoints. In fact the instructions for the Tazer state that that must be done by the dealer. If anyone has a clue about how to reset the TPMS system, I’m all ears. I’ve tried to get 3 different dealers to do it and they won’t. Thanks.