How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ok excellent. Tape sounds like the winner. Rust has claimed many vehicles up here. This is only my second new vehicle ever and I'm hoping to keep it as clean as can be. I don't drive very many miles for work these days so if I can keep it relatively free from rust it should last me a long time.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup I hear you. You're doing this at the perfect time which is when it's new. Get FF into everywhere before it ever sees salt

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great thread OP.

Got a question about getting access to that front fender area where the Hemi badge is....might have missed it in the thread.

How do I get at that area to spray the crap out of the back of the fender to ensure this doesn't happen?

I get my Ram done with Corrosion Free but want to check that area to make sure it got covered.

Thanks

valvestem

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read in one of the posts a ways back tha FF is lanolin based. I don't believe the oil in lanolin is of the type that will harm rubber components. It was related to a question if FF would harm the rubber parts in the truck.

valvestem

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great thread OP.

Got a question about getting access to that front fender area where the Hemi badge is....might have missed it in the thread.

How do I get at that area to spray the crap out of the back of the fender to ensure this doesn't happen?

I get my Ram done with Corrosion Free but want to check that area to make sure it got covered.

Thanks
The Inside wall of the tailgate has a long plate that comes off to access that area.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great thread OP.

Thanks

Thanks!

The easiest way is to remove the plastic wheel well liners. Then either remove the wheel or turn them to one side and you can see the fiberglass tape on the inside of the fender. Most of the time the rust starts on the top edge of that tape but I played it safe and just soaked the whole inside of the fender with FF.

Hopefully when you pull the liners out you will see it soaked with Corrosion Free...

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

The easiest way is to remove the plastic wheel well liners. Then either remove the wheel or turn them to one side and you can see the fiberglass tape on the inside of the fender. Most of the time the rust starts on the top edge of that tape but I played it safe and just soaked the whole inside of the fender with FF.

Hopefully when you pull the liners out you will see it soaked with Corrosion Free...

Great thanks.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I read in one of the posts a ways back tha FF is lanolin based. I don't believe the oil in lanolin is of the type that will harm rubber components. It was related to a question if FF would harm the rubber parts in the truck.

FF badly warped the rubber door seals on all four of my doors. Drivers door is the worst as I go more on it.

Now I believe it won’t hurt all rubbers but it absolutely will hurt some rubbers/foams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
FF badly warped the rubber door seals on all four of my doors. Drivers door is the worst as I go more on it.

Now I believe it won’t hurt all rubbers but it absolutely will hurt some rubbers/foams

Wow, is that just from the run out coming from the weep holes or did they get alot of over spray on them? Thanks for sharing, hopefully I can avoid this.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, FF is not good for some type(s) of rubber.

I went with Corrosion Free Rust Cure the first time I did my truck. This time I might go with NH Oil Undercoating. They both seem more similar to Krown than to Fluid Film. Maybe a bit more expensive, but supposed to be safer for rubber than FF.

The Corrosion Free I sprayed on last November has held up pretty darn well, even to occasional pressure washings of the undercarriage. I missed a few spots (inner front fenders and inner tailgate) that I will for sure hit this time and from now on.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually coat my door weatherstripping with silicone grease a few times per year to keep them hydrated. It also helps with them freezing shut in the winter. So far I have not had any issues with FF and my weatherstripping, I'm wondering if the silicone has anything to do with that?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah, FF is not good for some type(s) of rubber.

I went with Corrosion Free Rust Cure the first time I did my truck. This time I might go with NH Oil Undercoating. They both seem more similar to Krown than to Fluid Film. Maybe a bit more expensive, but supposed to be safer for rubber than FF.

The Corrosion Free I sprayed on last November has held up pretty darn well, even to occasional pressure washings of the undercarriage. I missed a few spots (inner front fenders and inner tailgate) that I will for sure hit this time and from now on.

I had corrosion free done the first year i had my truck because i was running out of time before salt hit the roads. It is a better product than FF in my opinion but just cost to much. But MAN that stuff stays put for a long time.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had corrosion free done the first year i had my truck because i was running out of time before salt hit the roads. It is a better product than FF in my opinion but just cost to much. But MAN that stuff stays put for a long time.

I don't have any CF installers around me... FF was 250 to get applied. I diy-ed CF instead.... 65 for a gallon of the liquid plus however much for the spray gun. I went with the better gun since I'll be doing this myself every year.

Applied last October, when I spray the undercarriage with water now you can still see evidence of oil on there

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well, my product finally came in. Straight from Canada. I'll be able to apply this each year on two vehicles for the cost of having it done professionally on one. I splurged this year and bought their high end gun. I was sold after seeing the wands and nozzles included. I'll post my thoughts after applying.IMG_20180823_181736.jpg IMG_20180823_181747.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my product finally came in. Straight from Canada. I'll be able to apply this each year on two vehicles for the cost of having it done professionally on one. I splurged this year and bought their high end gun. I was sold after seeing the wands and nozzles included. I'll post my thoughts after applying.View attachment 138294 View attachment 138295

That was my starter kit too! I dont apply to our cars, though, since they are so low and dont have a pickup bed just waiting to rust out.

Ill be ordering my gallon shortly, already have the gun. At one point I was able to find quick connects with ALL of the types of nozzles (instead of the yellow hoses you see here, all 3 used the black rubber hose with swivel). I might look into getting those too.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday I Fluid Filmed my truck, my dads Pathfinder, and my father in laws Frontier. All 3 were done last year so there was a good amount still in areas that don't get sprayed with water regularly. Ended up using 2 gallons of Fluid Film and 8 cans for the doors, tailgates, etc.

Also found some great how to videos on how to apply FF and it lists some good supplies for applying FF or equivalent. I used the disposable coverall and a head sock that is mentioned in these videos and I had virtually no FF on me.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yesterday I Fluid Filmed my truck, my dads Pathfinder, and my father in laws Frontier. All 3 were done last year so there was a good amount still in areas that don't get sprayed with water regularly. Ended up using 2 gallons of Fluid Film and 8 cans for the doors, tailgates, etc.

Also found some great how to videos on how to apply FF and it lists some good supplies for applying FF or equivalent. I used the disposable coverall and a head sock that is mentioned in these videos and I had virtually no FF on me.

I also get the one pc zip up “onezy” from work. I think it is a “Tyvec” suit. Its a throwaway.

I love it.

I wanted to mention that i have been carrying a LOT of wood in my bed this year for my wood stove. The latch access cover on my tailgate had let in a LOT of wood dust. There are tiny pc’s of bark wedged under it too. I need to take the cover off and rinse out the tailgate before “FLuid filming the inside.

Just something to think about.

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is the Fluid Film oil based stuff? Wouldn't it be better to use something wax based that might hold longer? Just a thought.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Is the Fluid Film oil based stuff? Wouldn't it be better to use something wax based that might hold longer? Just a thought.

It is lanolin based.

And the issue with the waxy stuff is it eventually starts cracking and then water gets in the cracks and sits there for a really long time eventually causing rust that you cant even see because the wax is hiding it.

Thats what happens with “Zbart” undercoatings too.

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
So I applied corrosion free a few weeks ago to my truck. I also bought their high end spray gun which came with 2 spray nozzles, 2 different sized 45° wands and a 360° hose. The gun made applying so easy and I didn't have to drill any holes as I had wands that would fit the smallest holes.

I have to say their product is very impressive. I only used my pancake compressor and was able to apply it with no troubles. I was very liberal as it was a brand new truck and I had only a few drips from applying too much. The next week or two we had some warmer weather and I saw no evidence of dripping from the vehicle. Also as I sprayed the underside there was so little overspray in the air. I just wore a t shirt and jeans and I was not filthy after, I was pretty surprised!

I was underneath the truck the other day and it's still so thick, looks like someone dipped my truck in petroleum jelly haha. It does stink terrible as it burns off the exhaust also, I'll try to be more careful next year.

Corrosion Free is a food grade mineral oil based product. It's made in Canada and I bought it direct from them. They shipped it free and I had it within the week. While it's more expensive then FF I can still do it myself for much less than having it sprayed at a shop. Not trying to knock FF, I know it's a tried and true product just wanted to share my experience with corrosion free. I compared FF, krown, nh oil undercoating and corrosion free before making my purchase.