How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I was thinking this might work better in the high wash areas of the truck like the wheel well lips or the frame that's exposed in the wheel wells. But I'll likely stick with Fluid Film.

How's your FF holding up?

Remember that thicker stuff I told you about that I tried in my wheel wells last fall....?

It’s working flawlessly. It is still there and once a gets a little coat of dirt on it it’s actually pretty hard to get off.

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/AR.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just whant to show how good the a truck can look after 3 years when protected properly.

37.500 miles over 3 years and let's say half that on saly roads here in Sweden.

Took some pics when I installed BOSS air bags in the rear.

Will go in soon for a checkup and refill the protection in some spots.

But it's not cheep, initial cost is around 1.200USD and "refill" is around 430USD

But I plan of keeping this one for a while :)

View attachment 120328 View attachment 120329 View attachment 120330 View attachment 120329
Looks great!

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remember that thicker stuff I told you about that I tried in my wheel wells last fall....?

It’s working flawlessly. It is still there and once a gets a little coat of dirt on it it’s actually pretty hard to get off.

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/AR.html
I completely forgot about that stuff, definitely have to get some of it. It's the jar of the AR FF right? And you just smear it on the wheel well lips?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I completely forgot about that stuff, definitely have to get some of it. It's the jar of the AR FF right? And you just smear it on the wheel well lips?

Yes sir,

I got the 16oz jar that is in the link i posted above. Its the “marine grade” stuff. Like you said it goes on with a paint brush. It is thicker than the consistency of regular “greas gun” grease. So its kinda hard to get on with a brush. And it will ruin the brush you use. If you come up with a better way to apply it let me know. I didn’t want to warm it when applying because i was afraid it wont go on as thick. This stuff will last years when applied IMO. But i will most definitely touch up and re-apply once a year.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have used a trowel I think the name is on that thick stuff
6912060r_2.jpg

I would not want to use a metal trowel on the inside of the panels in the wheel well area. Scratching the “galvanized” coating is not good.

JMO

I like the idea though. Maybe a plastic one?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about a spreader for body filler? They're pretty flexible and you could pack it into the seem between the wheel well liner and the the lip. The preventative Hack N Pack so to speak...

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I removed my linners when i did it. Cleand out all the packed in dirt, wiped it on with a brush and also my finger....(which actually work very well.... my finger i mean;)).

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
So I've got to revive this thread and ask for some input. Specifically on the front driver's side panel with that fiberglass tape crap. I have a bubble in my paint forming slightly above the hemi badge. I'm gonna go to a body shop today and see if they can give me an estimate on a repair. I'm terrified that it's rust! It started as a small pin size and now it's grown to the size of a small marble in a matter of months. I'm assuming they'll just sand it down and repaint it. Is it a good idea to drill a hole below that taped piece so that I can get some fluid film in there?

IMG_3489 (2).JPG

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've got to revive this thread and ask for some input. Specifically on the front driver's side panel with that fiberglass tape crap. I have a bubble in my paint forming slightly above the hemi badge. I'm gonna go to a body shop today and see if they can give me an estimate on a repair. I'm terrified that it's rust! It started as a small pin size and now it's grown to the size of a small marble in a matter of months. I'm assuming they'll just sand it down and repaint it. Is it a good idea to drill a hole below that taped piece so that I can get some fluid film in there?

View attachment 130852

I'm sorry to say that is most likely rust from the back side of the fender from that damn fiberglass tape. They will most likely just replace the fender. If they sand that down it will just reveal a hole.

Your best bet when you get a new fender is to remove the fender liner and coat the crap out of that tape with FF.

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I'm sorry to say that is most likely rust from the back side of the fender from that damn fiberglass tape. They will most likely just replace the fender. If they sand that down it will just reveal a hole.

Your best bet when you get a new fender is to remove the fender liner and coat the crap out of that tape with FF.

That's what I was afraid of. Man, what a stupid problem to have on a 4 year old truck! I think Chrysler has a 5 year 100,000 corrosion warranty if I'm not mistaken. I'll see if I can get it covered. When it's fixed I'll be fluid filming the crap out of that tape!

Thanks for looking into it Hemi!

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I was afraid of. Man, what a stupid problem to have. It's barely 4 years old! I think Chrysler has a 5 year 100,000 corrosion warranty if I'm not mistaken. I'll see if I can get it under warranty. When it's fixed I'll be fluid filming the crap out of that tape!

Thanks for looking into it Hemi!
No problem, let us know how it goes!

Oh yeah didn't think of that you're under warranty still, I'd make the dealer put a new fender on. How's the other side look?

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
No problem, let us know how it goes!

Oh yeah didn't think of that you're under warranty still, I'd make the dealer put a new fender on. How's the other side look?

Will do! I'm definitely going to have a dealer take a look at it. I bought it from a Toyota dealership so I'm not entirely sure how that works in terms of warranty. I think a certified Chrysler dealer would probably have to do the body work. I remember getting some kind of a one year coverage after buying from them too so I'll have to check it out. I'm sure they'll find a way to get out of it though!

The other side is fine thankfully. Haven't sprayed it yet but I'll probably get to it this weekend. They use some kind of sodium additive in the dirt road I live on so I probably shouldn't put it off any longer. Minnesota has to be one of the worst states in the country with all the salt they use.

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Got an update, the body shop didn't want to touch it without having the dealership look at it first. He was afraid it was rust like we discussed here. He said he hasn't yet seen a 4th gen with this problem. He's seen it on Fords but not Ram trucks yet. He also went full nuclear and was scared that it was delamination lol.

I contacted the Toyota dealership I bought the truck from and they are doing some research into what my options are. Also sent an email to Chrysler to see if they can give me some guidance as well. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I had a truck cap re painted after the oem paint on the entire thing delaminated.

Work that warranty man. They are SUPPOSED to cover it 100%. Dont let off

mcdo3920

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Got an update on my rust issue! Finally got time to take it into the local Chrysler dealer today. They took some pics and said it might take a few weeks. The guy said it looked to be a textbook warranty issue. Apparently Chrysler thought it needed to be expedited because the same guy called me not even 2 hours later and told me that they would cover it 100%!

I asked about the repair to make sure it was done properly and he said they would replace the entire fender. Thankfully they'll also be giving me a loaner for a couple days. It's probably a good thing I've waited this long because the paint started to bubble even more. It was starting to look like crap, kind of embarrassing on such a nice truck!

I did end up checking the inside where the tape is on the other fender and sure enough there was rust starting to form on the lip so I sprayed some rust inhibitor on there, cleaned it off and fluid filmed the crap out it. Hopefully that side will hold off for a long time! Thanks for the advice on this guys, it wouldn't have worked out without the help of this thread!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
^^**^

GREAT NEWS!

I used to worry myself to death about clay baring, waxing polishing my truck all the time. At that time i put NO effort into preventing rust on anything.

Now I spend more time checking/preventing my truck from rust in absolutely every spot that I can think of and less time worrying about how the exterior looks. In the end as long as my truck is not rusting it will be fine. I plan on keeping this truck for 20 years easy.

Now you need to do a complete under body spray and in the doors and such

Last edited:

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just read this whole post. Thanks to the OP and all who contributed. I just picked up a 2018 ram 1500 Friday and this will be the first thing I need to do. Ordering supplies today. I found the link for the plugs on Amazon for the inner rockers, how many plugs are needed for both sides?

Thanks for all the information.
-Kevin

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just read this whole post. Thanks to the OP and all who contributed. I just picked up a 2018 ram 1500 Friday and this will be the first thing I need to do. Ordering supplies today. I found the link for the plugs on Amazon for the inner rockers, how many plugs are needed for both sides?

Thanks for all the information.
-Kevin

No problem, hope it helps you protect your truck from rust!

The plugs I linked on Amazon fit, but not very well. I think you need 3 for each side, more if you don't have running boards. I've been looking for ones that fit better for a while now and haven't found any. I ended up just putting some gorilla tape over them and then pull it off every year when I reapply FF.