How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, for there are a lot of posts to read through. Is this ok to spray on rubber components or should they be avoided? Does this dry, or is it always sticky? Do you have to re-apply annually or is it somewhat permanent like bed lining?

Technically it says it may soften or swell rubber. But i just spray the **** out if everything and don’t worry about hitting rubber components. Iv never had a problem.

It does not “dry” however it very slowly evaporates.... but it takes years. Being that yoour vehicle constantly gets bombarded with water, rocks, road debris and what not it is best practice to do this once a year. It stays the consistency of honey/maple syrup. Not at all like a bed liner.

It is lanolin bases, an oily greasy subsance that comes from sheeps wool.

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it never actually dries and stays sticky, does dirt and such all stick to it? Does it easily get all discolored and dirty?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it never actually dries and stays sticky, does dirt and such all stick to it? Does it easily get all discolored and dirty?

Years ago I used to spray used motor oil on the undercarriage of my vehicles and that would attract dirt and grime quickly. Fluid Film does attract some dirt but its definitely no where near as much as drain oil. It depends on where on the vehicle it is. If its in the wheel well area it will attract some dirt. If its on a relatively shielded part of the floor pan it will stay pretty clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: U&A

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You can hit pretty much any material and it will be fine. When you first spray it is oily and will slowly creep into the crevices. After some days it will turn a little more wax like, it will look more dull as well. If you touch it, it will smear.

I apply it twice a year, one REAL good application before winter. Then I will go under every couple months during winter to make sure everything is still looking OK.

It will hold up very well to water and dirt from any regular driving conditions. To wash it off you really need to give it a good hit with a pressure washer.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To add to the above post, even if it looks like it's washed off there is still a thin layer left on the surface. Brake cleaner or carb cleaner is about the only thing that gets it completely off besides years of spray from the road

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
LOL, showing my colors here.. call me cheap but
SUPER inexpensive fluid film touch up in the middle of the winter

:roflsquared:

Aldi Product Reviews: Carlini Canola No-Stick Cooking Spray

And yes. I shop at Aldi. Joking aside. Fluid Film says you can cut their gallon product with vegetables oil so there is no reason this would not work. It obviously wont last NEAR as long though. just a quick touch up.

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
The key to all of these preventive measures is to wash the truck of all salt and grime after the salt is off of the winter roads assuming you live in the north. Not much corrosion actually occurs in the winter but greatly accelerates in warm and moist environments.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The key to all of these preventive measures is to wash the truck of all salt and grime after the salt is off of the winter roads assuming you live in the north. Not much corrosion actually occurs in the winter but greatly accelerates in warm and moist environments.
Yeah a good undercarriage flush in the spring is always a good idea fluid film or not

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thank you for the excellent tutorial! I didn't know this product existed until I read this post, now I need to go buy some. The pics are what did it for me. Thanks again.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the excellent tutorial! I didn't know this product existed until I read this post, now I need to go buy some. The pics are what did it for me. Thanks again.
No problem! I was hoping this would help people keep their trucks longer since they usually rot out long before they wear out mechanically.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t like it for the reason you mentioned it dries and cracks
I was thinking this might work better in the high wash areas of the truck like the wheel well lips or the frame that's exposed in the wheel wells. But I'll likely stick with Fluid Film.

How's your FF holding up?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I got to say fluid film is some impressive stuff I’m more impressed every time I use it. I’ve been under my truck fairly often the past couple months even .....as cold as it is. we have had a colder and snowier winter This year then we’ve had the past couple years. The stuff is still plenty thick on EVERYTHING under my truck. Looks like it’s not there but is soon as you touch it or brush it with your arm it’s obvious that there is still a lot.

There’s only one downside to this and that’s working on your truck. you get a little Messier. But whatever, suck it up Nancy.... right !

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No problem! I was hoping this would help people keep their trucks longer since they usually rot out long before they wear out mechanically.
Mine's only 5 mo old. Come Springtime, this gets done. Wish I knew last Oct.

Not 1st, 2nd or 3rd? No Trophy!

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Just whant to show how good the a truck can look after 3 years when protected properly.

37.500 miles over 3 years and let's say half that on salty roads here in Sweden.

Took some pics when I installed BOSS air bags in the rear.

Will go in soon for a checkup and refill the protection in some spots.

But it's not cheep, initial cost is around 1.200USD and "refill" is around 430USD

But I plan of keeping this one for a while :)

IMG_5442.jpg IMG_5414.jpg IMG_5415.jpg IMG_5414.jpg

Last edited: