How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have dealt with them in the past too. It sucks that they are the first thing that pops up when people are doing a search on doing these upgrades. They are Extremely over priced and have horrible customer service. If it doesn't work you're pretty much on your own. Most of what they sell was copied off of what was figured out in this forum. The thing that irritates me the most is their B.S claim that says these radios are some how specifically Programmed to your vehicle when you order it. This is complete nonsense and makes people afraid to purchase the radio used in the secondary market and just install it which exactly what they do

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I owe @chrisbh17 and @Roman217 a HUGE thanks. As well as everyone else that offered up some advice on this. Chris and Roman worked up a module for me and send it out about a week ago. After some minor trouble shooting everything is good. It all works just as it should.

Great news!

I wonder if Infotainment will even care that their stuff doesn't work. Much less care enough to look a little back in time and try to determine when their stuff stopped working.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Infotainment.com doesn't care about much of anything other than sticking their hand in your pocket and grabbing as much cash as they can. If any technical solutions or useful to them products are posted here they will grab them and use them as their own. Yes, I was a customer before I found the Ramforum and had such a go around with them that I ended up having Doug the owners phone # on speed dial.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I owe @chrisbh17 and @Roman217 a HUGE thanks. As well as everyone else that offered up some advice on this. Chris and Roman worked up a module for me and send it out about a week ago. After some minor trouble shooting everything is good. It all works just as it should.
Good to hear! Happy it's working for you now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have dealt with them in the past too. It sucks that they are the first thing that pops up when people are doing a search on doing these upgrades. They are Extremely over priced and have horrible customer service. If it doesn't work you're pretty much on your own. Most of what they sell was copied off of what was figured out in this forum. The thing that irritates me the most is their B.S claim that says these radios are some how specifically Programmed to your vehicle when you order it. This is complete nonsense and makes people afraid to purchase the radio used in the secondary market and just install it which exactly what they do

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Well technically the radio is programmed for your vehicle just not by them. The radio gets information from the BCM in your vehicle so technically it is custom programmed for your vehicle. /SARC/

randerson0248

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am finishing a few upgrades, including UAQ radio in my 2019 Classic. For about $250 less than the cost of Infotainment's radio kit alone, I have done the following:

Alpharex pro headlights with LEDs
Premium 7.0 EVIC cluster
UAQ radio upgrade
Added OEM fog lights with LEDs
Alfaobd app
OBDlink MX+

Took some time and effort tracking down used parts from car-part.com and ebay, but, worth it for me.

Last edited:

autumnwalker

Reaction score
There's been little feedback on anyone using the @customtronix Enzo Interface module but it's user manual does show dip switch options to work with the panasonic radio upgrade, to get the cluster messages corrected and finally for the heated seats.
I am running a @customtronix Enzo in my 2015 (Harman) truck with a premium cluster and Panasonic head unit. I can confirm that the cluster messages and screens are all working. I do not have heated seats, but otherwise the Enzo functions exactly as advertised.

Also excellent customer support.

AMA.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
So, I ended up with a different media hub from a 2017 Chrysler 200. Part number 68297818AA. Appears as if this is for the non 8.4 inch display.

I'll try it and see if it works.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Unfortunately 68297818AA does not appear to support CarPlay. I tried resetting the radio, both ports. CarPlay does not launch. My phone did start charging though so it was connected.

Ezyduzit23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Made the mistake of buying NavTool. Hate it. Anyone have any sources for UAQ and conversion harness? Have 2017 Laramie Longhorn.

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Any ideas on the "device not supported" message I'm getting everytime the radio powers up?

I updated from a factory 5.0 to a UAQ. Bought it new from Benny. Also did the 4 to 7 spd blower conversion as well as the single zone auto temp conversion. I added the sun sensor for atc harness and the 4 pin sun sensor. Everything went well except two issues.

I get a "device not supported" window everytime the radio powers up. It doesn't go away until you click ok. First I thought it was because I haven't installed the updated usb hub. So I did that tonight and no change. I still get the message. No phones paired. Nothing connected to the usb ports or aux. No fault codes in the radio either. Kinda disappointing after the money spent to get an in your face issue everytime the radio powers up. And you can't find out what device it's referring to either.

The other issue I have is a fault code in the HVAC. I don't recall the code but it's for the right side blend motor. It's setup for single zone ATC, so it shouldn't look for a passenger side blend motor. Fault only goes away if I revert back to single zone manual. Is this an expected fault that everyone gets? Would it effect the system operation? Any way to eliminate the fault?

IMG_20210416_215830088.jpg
IMG_20210414_184437382.jpg
IMG_20210409_124643708_HDR.jpg IMG_20210409_124420473_HDR.jpg IMG_20210409_124409352_HDR.jpg

Specs
2018 Ram 3500 tradesman. Diesel. Factory back up camera. Factory 5.0 and sat radio. Factory rear parksense.

Harnesses I bought from mp grimm. Everything else Chrysler, Benny.

Thanks,
Earl

Last edited:

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone experienced their UAQ randomly becoming completely unresponsive then rebooting on its own? I originally swapped my factory RA3 for my UAQ and had no issues. After running it for awhile I added the Customtronix Enzo & their dual video splitter switch and a front camera on top of my factory reverse & cargo cam. I immediately experienced what I would consider interference lines across the screen when viewing any of the cameras as well as the radio randomly & sporadically rebooting and freezing. I got tired of my backup camera not automatically coming on with my UAQ so I bought an RA4 from a 2017 (verified MY17 by vin & part #) and installed my Customtronix ENIGMA that I had used on my last truck with another RA4 and experienced the same issues. I figured it was the Customtronix modules and (or) t-harnesses causing the random reboots and interference. I was not satisfied with the RA4 compared to the UAQ overall on top of the fact that I lost my soft key for my backup camera when I installed the MY17 RA4. I had to open the cargo camera with the cc soft key and then click on backup cam. Never could figure that out and gave up when I reinstalled my UAQ since it displays both just like my original factory installed RA3 did. Shortly after reinstalling my UAQ I removed the Customtronix module and harness EVERYTHING but the factory wiring and UAQ and the backup cam as well as the cargo cam still have interference looking lines that float up and down the screen only when viewing cameras and I noticed tonight that unfortunately the radio is still randomly rebooting when going down the road. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone can help me here [emoji848]

'16 CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Single Zone ATC

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone experienced their UAQ randomly becoming completely unresponsive then rebooting on its own? I originally swapped my factory RA3 for my UAQ and had no issues. After running it for awhile I added the Customtronix Enzo & their dual video splitter switch and a front camera on top of my factory reverse & cargo cam. I immediately experienced what I would consider interference lines across the screen when viewing any of the cameras as well as the radio randomly & sporadically rebooting and freezing. I got tired of my backup camera not automatically coming on with my UAQ so I bought an RA4 from a 2017 (verified MY17 by vin & part #) and installed my Customtronix ENIGMA that I had used on my last truck with another RA4 and experienced the same issues. I figured it was the Customtronix modules and (or) t-harnesses causing the random reboots and interference. I was not satisfied with the RA4 compared to the UAQ overall on top of the fact that I lost my soft key for my backup camera when I installed the MY17 RA4. I had to open the cargo camera with the cc soft key and then click on backup cam. Never could figure that out and gave up when I reinstalled my UAQ since it displays both just like my original factory installed RA3 did. Shortly after reinstalling my UAQ I removed the Customtronix module and harness EVERYTHING but the factory wiring and UAQ and the backup cam as well as the cargo cam still have interference looking lines that float up and down the screen only when viewing cameras and I noticed tonight that unfortunately the radio is still randomly rebooting when going down the road. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone can help me here [emoji848]

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I have when it's shorting out. I have had it happen with a short in my center console harness that occured when I flipped up the jumpseat back. I believe the short was in the AUX wires.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have when it's shorting out. I have had it happen with a short in my center console harness that occured when I flipped up the jumpseat back. I believe the short was in the AUX wires.

I will start there and if I can't find anything I will look behind the radio. How did you go about repairing it?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I will start there and if I can't find anything I will look behind the radio. How did you go about repairing it?

If you have the jumpseat like me, I just disconnected the hub harness under the seat to verify that this corrected the restart behavior. I ended up just leaving the factory AUX pins disconnected at the back of the radio harness and added my own RCA outs on those pins (so the short is disconnected). Inspecting the harness and repairing the short should work just as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got around to making the radio much cooler by applying a simple fix. I installed new thermal pads inside the unit by just cutting to the same size as the factory pads.

Factory pads...

9f08871fe689754d6267342351913680.jpg

I have no means of accurately measuring the temperature but the radio is quite noticeably cooler after applying new thermal material to transfer heat from the chips to the case. The radio has gone from hot/almost too hot to touch to cool/ambient temperature after normal prolonged operation.

I'll be inspecting the new thermal material the next time I open it up to ensure it is making good contact. It appears to be the same thickness as the factory thermal material though...

Pink = Factory
Blue = Arctic thermal pad.

f7210bcd261995d18c870662520b8900.jpg

I probably only used 1/3 of the thermal material I purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-The...-/401109922295?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Adding to my previous post, I inspected the new thermal material to make sure it was making good contact and was the correct size. I think the factory material was ever so slightly thicker but this material makes good contact, just make sure to tighten up the screws.

The only downside to this is because it makes good contact it can only be used once. It's forgiving on install, but once it's screwed down and settles in, it will stick to both sides to the point of tearing (which is a good thing.f0b530a33e8924420a421915656780f6.jpg526d2d90ea7bb7ff18e2ac197e2ae6b0.jpg

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
SKB thanks for the tip on the thermal pads. I have to replace my screen due to the digitizer delaminating issue. While I have it open, I plan to replace the thermal pads. Anybody had any luck with re-laminating the digitizer? I might play with the old one once I have the replacement. I was thinking about using something from the Solarez line of UV curing resin. https://www.solarez.com/ Probably one of the slower curing resins to reduce heat and possible shrinkage during the curing process.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
SKB thanks for the tip on the thermal pads. I have to replace my screen due to the digitizer delaminating issue. While I have it open, I plan to replace the thermal pads. Anybody had any luck with re-laminating the digitizer? I might play with the old one once I have the replacement. I was thinking about using something from the Solarez line of UV curing resin. https://www.solarez.com/ Probably one of the slower curing resins to reduce heat and possible shrinkage during the curing process.
I was successful at re-laminating a screen, but the screen suffered from ghost touches both before and after the re-lamination. I used this cheap eBay kit...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5ML-UV-LOC...-/262764652848?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

5ML of LOCA was just enough to get it done. It doesn't quite cure under the black outer trim because the light doesn't reach it.

If your screen doesn't have ghost touches it just might work...