How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
See the AlfaOBD thread document for enabling TravelLink.

HD radio stations will only show up if the local station supports it.

M² Mods.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the EQ Curve to just what you and Lawsuit11 suggested, Quad Cab 6 speakers.

BTW the subscriptions active on this radio are XM, Travelink and Traffic Plus. Is there something I need to set or an icon I should be seeing for the Travalink or Traffic Plus? All my top bar show is the outside temperature and the time. I just wondered because I thought I saw some screen images showing HD and station information.

I’m so glad it worked. Some settings can take 10+ key cycles and over 24 hours to it to read correctly. Glad we got your problem fixed.

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
See the AlfaOBD thread document for enabling TravelLink.

HD radio stations will only show up if the local station supports it.

M² Mods.

Now I am totally amazed that with the help of M2 Mods, @Mpgrimm2, @Lawsuit11, @DeereGuy and everyone else here on the RAMforum this UAQ now does everything it is supposed to :party36:. The Travel Link is on, the rear speakers work and I just keep finding more everyday.

THANK YOU

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well add me to the list of the new 2018 HVAC module being a waste of money. Didn't fix mismatch at all . I watched the blend door do a full revolution when I first plugged the new module in. But when I started the truck and tested it's the same as before. Unless this needs to sit for a while also for the truck to read it? Or should this be immediate?

@ckleinfeld mentioned in the thread in the interior section he replaced with no success.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/hvac-problem-with-uas-upgrade-in-18-truck.118734/page-6

Thank you all for the tips though. The install went smooth as verybu except for the glove box reinstall. Then I stupidly realized the tiny clip on the glove box and I didn't have to take out the hole retract cord assembly

Last edited:

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just for s's and g's I also removed the infotainment heated seat harness today just to see if it affects my radio crashing and not booting ordeal. I think we all agree it's the radio but while I sort that all out I figured I'd give it a shot, since I'm becoming a dash disassembly master

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced the 8.4 in my '17 with a UAQ. I already had the 7 speed hvac and it synced fine. It did take about 24hours and a couple of key cycles for everything to come in. My original battery died on me the other night. Completely died such that I could not jump the truck off. When I replaced the battery my Sirius was gone. It still showed it as being registered but the buttons were no there. It wasn't until I started it the next morning it was back with all of my saved favorites.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It is amazing that these electronics take time and key cycles to fully program and for jdip yes, we're all becoming experts that R&R with these radio / dash parts. I said before I need my radios to be held in by Velcro. I'm not one to slam anyone but as fas as Infotainment harnesses go, I'm not impressed, they're not the same quality as an M2Mods product. My next tackle is removing the Infotainment microphone interface wiring and replacing it with a Mpgrimm2 2017-2018 mirror harness to retrofit the earlier mirror with the auto dim and microphones built in

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would recommend unhooking the battery and resetting everything but that may screw up what you have working.of course I went the other way and replaced a uaq with a ra4 but when the modules where swapped they worked as they should right away except for the rear defrost buttons blinking for one key cycle.

tservomst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hi all - Pulling my hair out trying to find 21.9 for the UAS. Does anyone have any leads on where I might be able to find it to save myself a trip to the dealership and a major headache trying to explain to them why I need an update for a unit that didn't ship with my vehicle?

Edit: Ah, looks like there are a bunch of audio issues on 21.9.. This is the only forum reporting such.. Interesting. Maybe I'll hold off then.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hi all - Pulling my hair out trying to find 21.9 for the UAS. Does anyone have any leads on where I might be able to find it to save myself a trip to the dealership and a major headache trying to explain to them why I need an update for a unit that didn't ship with my vehicle?

Edit: Ah, looks like there are a bunch of audio issues on 21.9.. This is the only forum reporting such.. Interesting. Maybe I'll hold off then.
Yeah. If you're on Application Version 18.x or 19.9 I would recommend staying away from v21.9 until the next release and see what is reported by others with factory 8.4 UAx radios.

M² Mods.

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having an intermittent issue with the navigation freezing up with the UAQ. GPS coordinates read correctly, as does travel link, but the icon for my truck stays stuck in one spot on the navigation screen. Battery disconnect doesn't always fix the issue. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Having an intermittent issue with the navigation freezing up with the UAQ. GPS coordinates read correctly, as does travel link, but the icon for my truck stays stuck in one spot on the navigation screen. Battery disconnect doesn't always fix the issue. Anyone else seeing anything like this?

I'd try the reset et todd taught me. Unhook both battery terminals and hold them together for
15 seconds and then walk away for 10-15 minutes, come back and reconnect them. I've always had good luck with it and appreciated the advise from him.

ckleinfeld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd try the reset et todd taught me. Unhook both battery terminals and hold them together for
15 seconds and then walk away for 10-15 minutes, come back and reconnect them. I've always had good luck with it and appreciated the advise from him.
That's been my go-to for issues like this as well. In this case, it hasn't worked too consistently. Resetting all personal data on the radio has been the most reliable method of correcting the problem. Odd that it works when a battery pull doesn't?

projectevaunit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UAQ part number issue, I just got a head unit from infotainment.com guys advertised as a 2018 UAQ. The sticker on the unit says Manufacture date Aug 2016 and part number 68306656AA and I cannot find anything about that part number and how could it be AA/CP ready UAQ, didn't they only come out in 2018? I am lost.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
d121a73e26ca219a74eb307e0cb9d548.jpg

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UAQ part number issue, I just got a head unit from infotainment.com guys advertised as a 2018 UAQ. The sticker on the unit says Manufacture date Aug 2016 and part number 68306656AA and I cannot find anything about that part number and how could it be AA/CP ready UAQ, didn't they only come out in 2018? I am lost.

d121a73e26ca219a74eb307e0cb9d548.jpg

I did a search of the part number

1. AA prefix is the very first radios that came out for testing etc. They could be very problematic because the bugs that were fixed in later prefix versions. The reason why it’s 2016 cause they were test radios for Chrysler. AA and AB are engineering and test radios. All current radios normally start with Z. So you will see ZA, ZP. etc

2. This radio is actually a Grand Cherokee radio and not a Ram radio. See photo below.
741a8596a58d2c27cde1d755be4fae9e.jpg

3. Since it’s a Grand Cherokee radio. you will HAVE to replace the media hub to the upgraded one (dual usb). Part number is in the beginning of this thread. Because the Cherokee radios are not compatible with the stock 2018 Ram media hubs

4. Honestly I would return it and make sure you get the correct radio and verify the factory seal is still on the radio because we have seen a lot of radios that the case(mount) has been switched so they can be installed in a Ram but are not actually Ram UAQ radios. Part number for the Ram radio is in the beginning g of this thread

I don’t think I missed anything.

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Giovas had that radio working on his 2016 Ram during one of the early conversions. It did support AA/CP with the correct hub as I recall. While, that isn't a Ram UAQ radio it should at least have the correct mount and use the same SW update/ files as the RAM UAQ radio (I believe Deereguy confirmed it).

9cb56923320031a19b4cd489522b4a2f.jpg

M² Mods.

projectevaunit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you a lot! Where would I look for the factory seal? I also noticed when I try to reply to you guys it gets flagged as "spam like" and won't let me post. So is it OK to use or I should get my money back and buy the part number listed at the top of the post. They did include a new media hub and wire harness.

Oh cool, I'm post 700...

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you a lot! Where would I look for the factory seal? I also noticed when I try to reply to you guys it gets flagged as "spam like" and won't let me post. So is it OK to use or I should get my money back and buy the part number listed at the top of the post. They did include a new media hub and wire harness.

Oh cool, I'm post 700...

You can always instal it and make sure it works. If it does awesome if it doesn’t. You can return it. Won’t hurt to try

projectevaunit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can always instal it and make sure it works. If it does awesome if it doesn’t. You can return it. Won’t hurt to try

What should I look for bug wise?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What should I look for bug wise?

Just make sure everything is working fine. Nav is working correctly. Sirus is loading and connecting.