Hurricane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1972Slob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have 22 HEMI Bighorn 5.7L 1500 I was going to trade in the 22 in 25 w the Hurricane I won't.
What is everyone's opinion that the HEMI will return when Ram sales plummet. Ram is getting rid of their biggest asset and w no V-8 option people will run to Ford and Chevy. They lost my $70k every 3 years and the shame is trading the 22 in I would only owe $15k for a brand new Ram.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think they will have to bring some sort of v8 back or its jist me being hopefull. If not i may have to go to chevy since they say they are keeping it for at least another 10 years only time will tell i guess. Im ok with a v6 as long as its not a turbo its way to hot here in phoenix in the summer and they do not run right or last. I do love my v8.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think that between phasing out naturally aspirated V8s and V6s for smaller, turbocharged engines, and pushing EVs on the market, the auto makers are setting themselves up for a huge market and financial collapse down the road when they run head long into buyer resistance.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that between phasing out naturally aspirated V8s and V6s for smaller, turbocharged engines, and pushing EVs on the market, the auto makers are setting themselves up for a huge market and financial collapse down the road when they run head long into buyer resistance.
Today's young people coming behind us won't care about engines. That have been taught since 1st grade that fossil fuels and gasoline engines are killing the earth and all of us. They have no mechanical knowledge, and will have no warm fuzzies about the sound of a V-8, since they most likely will never have heard one, nor care.

That, the lack of mechanical knowledge, and eagerness to save the planet and themselves, will have them living in planned communities with eco-friendly mass transit, just as UN Agenda 21 has planned.

I've gone from owning many loud V-8s to not owing one at all. Two V-6s, a straight 6, and a '94 Ram with a V-10 is what I have now. All very quiet.

The V-10 does have a very nice rumble at idle with the original stock exhaust.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Young people behind us (way behind in my case at 72) live with Ubers and probably aren’t buying cars in any great quantity. They can’t afford school, housing, to eat or a car loan to listen to them.

“After a significant slump, the automotive industry saw a rebound for vehicle sales in 2022. But even with that rebound, car manufacturers have found that younger drivers, particularly Millennials and Gen Z, simply aren't as interested in buying cars.”

Hell, if the automakers are looking to kids and young people to sustain their market for the next couple of decades, they are in worse shape than even I thought. You and I are their market for the immediate future.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stellantis has access to Ferrari's arsenal of V8's, so I suspect something will come in a few years. GM and Ford have turbo engines in their trucks but still offer a V8 as well (GM offers two). Hemi is going away simply because it can't meet modern emissions standards. Mopar will do some engineering, do some digging in Stellantis corporate parts bin, and put out a worthy Hemi successor. Gasoline isn't going anywhere.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Stellantis will not be putting Ferrari engines into Ram trucks LOL. I know that's not what you meant, but that's how I read it.

You're in NC and don't have a governor saying no new vehicles with internal combustion engines will be sold in the state starting in 2030. I'm hoping that gets struck down by the courts before then, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stellantis will not be putting Ferrari engines into Ram trucks LOL. I know that's not what you meant, but that's how I read it.

You're in NC and don't have a governor saying no new vehicles with internal combustion engines will be sold in the state starting in 2030. I'm hoping that gets struck down by the courts before then, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
I never said Dodge/Ram would get a Ferrari engine, but tech from those engines will trickle down into offerings for everyday drivers. Hurricane comes from the GME engine developed by Alfa. There's no reason we couldn't see something developed from Ferrari's F154 series, as Alfa already has a six cylinder version in their quadrifoglio models.

Any governor trying to ban gas vehicles is smoking crack. The automakers are already starting to push back, saying converting to mostly EVs within the next twenty years is impossible. The average vehicle on American roads is 12.5 years old, the average EV battery only lasts ten years. The math just doesn't work out.

That presupposes you solve the problem of where millions of people who aren't homeowners will charge at... and that presupposes you build dozens more power plants to provide enough electricity to meet projected demand. You think apartment and condo complexes are going to spend hundreds of thousands to retrofit chargers in their parking structures? No, no they won't.

Exxon just spent $60*billion* to acquire a large shale oil producer. Those guys obviously know more than you or I. They're betting on oil being around for at least another fifty years, and I'm inclined to agree with them. The govt's green dream is about to get a reality check.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's no reason we couldn't see something developed from Ferrari's F154 series, as Alfa already has a six cylinder version in their quadrifoglio models.
The Viper V-10 was developed by Lamborghini engineers, I'd imagine Stellantis could pick the brains of Ferrari engine development to up the power of the Hurricane engine.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Viper V-10 was developed by Lamborghini engineers, I'd imagine Stellantis could pick the brains of Ferrari engine development to up the power of the Hurricane engine.
There are already rumors of a 1000hp variant out there. I haven't seen the numbers "officially" produced by whatever version is going in the next generation Ram TRX but I'm betting it will be at least as hot as the outgoing Hellcat mill.

Car & Driver tested a Hurricane equipped Grand Wagoneer 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, and the thing weighs 6000lbs. I've not seen a GW on the dyno but I'm betting Hurricane is being underrated by Mopar... we know the 5.7 & 392 Hemis are, so why would they be honest about the new engine?

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Our governor has said a lot of dumb things. Luckily, for the past several years, we have had a legislator that has blocked him on some of his more bizarre ideas.