HVAC problem with UAS upgrade in '18 truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ps2012st

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express Regular Cab
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks Lawsuit,

I did buy the upgraded harness from Mike. Just ordered the 2 sensors...and the mirror wiring..so I'll do that all at once. I also purchased Alpha, but waiting until after my first Dealership warranty visit to install the harness. Programming all of it will be another challenge ...more questions to follow regarding that. I've been behind on doing the install work and getting the parts, but I really appreciate your time answering. Thanks again.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Lawsuit,

I did buy the upgraded harness from Mike. Just ordered the 2 sensors...and the mirror wiring..so I'll do that all at once. I also purchased Alpha, but waiting until after my first Dealership warranty visit to install the harness. Programming all of it will be another challenge ...more questions to follow regarding that. I've been behind on doing the install work and getting the parts, but I really appreciate your time answering. Thanks again.

It’s pretty straight forward running the wiring for the mirror. Go over to the ALFAOBD thread there is a lot of good information over there and tons of people that will help out if needed

If you purchased the actual OEM wiring harness for the mirror (that’s what I did, I plan on upgrading my mirror when funds are avaiable) and Mike (MPgrimm) actually made me a pig tail to plug into the factory connector(that the mirror harness plugs into) to the humidity sensor plug on the conversion harness. It was a breeze to instal. All the best of luck. I did my 2018 SLT in November December but I fully converted to ATC when I installed the radio and never had any problems with the air or heat like you’re having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I just finished my install last week... it is really easy, for me I didn't remove visors, and pull the headliner down. There was enough room, I could just tuck the wiring up into the slot created when gently pulling it down. Do remove all the Pass side panel, upper and lower glove box to get good access to that area.

BDE59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to post an observation with this same issue in my 2014 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn. I have found a partial solution for the hot and cold full travel issue. I recently upgraded from the 2014 RA3 to a UAQ 68331631AH F/W version 19.9. The HVAC module is the original one and has not been changed. I'm still using Single Zone MTC. (upgrading to Singe Zone ATC in the near future)

As others have posted, you can force full range hot or cold by continuing to press the respective hot or cold buttons. The indicator on the radio simply doesn't move beyond full scale each way. On my truck full hot to full cold takes 25 steps (presses of the button) to go full range. On the new UAQ radio there are 4 steps above the max indicated hot scale and 15 steps below the max indicated cold scale on the radio. Mid-range temperature setting is a couple of steps below the max indicated cold setting on the radio.

The partial solution I found is to change the Settings->Display->Units setting from US to Metric and back to US. When doing this, the temperature scale is activated and the pointer moves to the proper indicated scale. I.E. mid-range temperature now indicates at mid-scale on the radio. There is still an issue however, since there are still about 4 steps above and below full indicated scale on the radio to get to max travel. The scale is not perfect but better than before.

This improved behavior remains active until the truck goes to sleep then it reverts back to the wildly incorrect scale. I have been able to reproduce this several times over the last week.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have an '18 Tradesman 2500 diesel on which I've upgraded the radio from RA1 to RA2 to RA4. I've also upgraded to the single zone push button HVAC with 7 speed blower, all using harnesses from M2 Mods. I ran the RA4 for a bit and am now trying out an '18 UAS (non-nav).
I really like most of the radio features and especially the improved sound quality. To me it is much better than the RA4, especially on HD radio.

The problem I'm having is with the temperature control with the UAS radio. I noticed today that I had very little heat, although the small icon on the upper LH of radio and the slider icon on the Climate screen both showed the arrow all the way up on red. My coolant temp was also at 192*. This didn't make sense to me as it worked fine with the RA4. After doing some investigation, I found that the blend door servo wasn't moving all the way to heat, it was only about half way.
In other words, the radio shows full heat, but the blend door is only halfway thru its travel between hot and cold.
The only way i can get the blend door to move all the way is to hold down the physical button (up arrow) on the dash for a few seconds. I played around with it for a while and noticed, too, that the servo lacks a little traveling to full cold.

For troubleshooting purposes, I reinstalled the '17 RA4 and everything matches up perfectly. Move the Climate temperature slider icon up to full red, and the blend door servo moves full travel in one direction. Move the slider to full blue, and the servo moves full travel in the other direction. It matches up everywhere in-between as well.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? It seems to be some sort of communication/calibration problem with the UAS radio. I've already ruled out the HVAC controller/module on the right side of dash, the HVAC/radio bezel, and the servo motor/actuator on the blend door, as they all work fine with the RA4.

Is there some sort of recalibration procedure or learning process that I can do? What about my Ram dealer? I called my friend that works at a local Ram dealer and he is going to check for me.

Mike @Mpgrimm2 and I have discussed it and we're hoping there's a calibration process that may fix it.
I have to give a lot of thanks to Mike for all the support so far. He's a standup dude and heckuva nice guy to boot!

Any input from the other gurus on this? @CuylerTech @DeereGuy
I have just purchased a UAS radio and am waiting for the bezel. I also have a tradesman 2018. I ordered the bezel that will allow me to just attach my HVAC and emergency blinking switch to the bezel. For the radio was that just plug and play or did you need a additional adapter? I am not planning on using the radio to adjust any of my temperature controls, just going to use the 4-speed switch, the temperature control and the mixing control. from reading the different threads it seems like the difficulties that people have had has been when they are upgrading the climate control but I'm not 100% sure. I have not taken the dash report because I am still waiting on the bezel, but any I thought you might have would be appreciated. Thank you

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have just purchased a UAS radio and am waiting for the bezel. I also have a tradesman 2018. I ordered the bezel that will allow me to just attach my HVAC and emergency blinking switch to the bezel. For the radio was that just plug and play or did you need a additional adapter? I am not planning on using the radio to adjust any of my temperature controls, just going to use the 4-speed switch, the temperature control and the mixing control. from reading the different threads it seems like the difficulties that people have had has been when they are upgrading the climate control but I'm not 100% sure. I have not taken the dash report because I am still waiting on the bezel, but any I thought you might have would be appreciated. Thank you

if it's the bezel to accommodate the 8.4" radio using the existing hvac controls from a lower trim model, like those equipped with a 5.0" RA2 radio, it should be OK. I think Infotainment sells that particular bezel. also, the 8.4 radio itself does not have a volume control knob. you'd either need the volume controls on the steering wheel, or the infotainment bezel with their volume knob.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the reply. I did get the bezel without the volume, I do have the steering wheel controls so all set there. The bezel should be coming in a day or two, so I'll be looking to do the work then, I'm hoping that wiring wise it is just plug and play from my current radio to the new radio. I'm not sure if I need some type of adapter.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
ok so I replaced my 2013 HVAC due to air problems to a 2018 HVAC and again I have the problem or maybe more than before since before I only cooled to the maximum or heated to the maximum and now after changing my HVAC for a 2018 I only get air hot already check everything I have ATC BY MIKE and check my codes and this is what I get

B56E9E37-870C-4DA2-AC89-0DFF1096F9A8.jpeg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Reposting this from a message with Cesar...

RESET YOUR HVAC Configuration:

Connect with AlfaOBD and go back and set your truck (Ecu Config 3) HVAC Configuration back to: Single Zone MTC

Then disconnect AlfaOBD, Shudown the truck, let it go to sleep… and pull the 20A inline Radio fuse near the brake booster at the firewall (2 minutes) to force a radio reset.

Next… Get back in and switch the truck to “run” without starting. Wait for UAQ to reset… it’s done when the SXM button appears and the Backup Camera works again.

Check the HVAC on screen menu… it should show the old Single Zone temp slider without the temp readout . (now your back to original config).

Set Dual Zone ATC:

Connect back up with AlfaOBD, HVAC Configuration back to: DUAL ZONE ATC

Then disconnect AlfaOBD, Shudown the truck, let it go to sleep… and pull the 20A inline Radio fuse near the brake booster at the firewall (2 minutes) to force a radio reset. (yes again)

Next… Get back in and switch the truck to “run” without starting. Wait for UAQ to reset… it’s done when the SXM button appears and the Backup Camera works again.

Check the HVAC on screen menu… it should show both Dual Zone ATC Temp sliders with the temp readouts.

Set Single Zone ATC:

Connect back up with AlfaOBD, HVAC Configuration back to: SINGLE ZONE ATC

Then disconnect AlfaOBD, Shudown the truck, let it go to sleep… and pull the 20A inline Radio fuse near the brake booster at the firewall (2 minutes) to force a radio reset. (yes again)

Check the HVAC on screen menu… it should show ONLY one Single Zone ATC Temp slider with the temp readout.

---------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn’t do it… there is something else wrong and I’m not sure where to start since I have no idea all the changes that you have done with the truck (since you got the harness over 18 mos ago). Your original email indicates you may have used AutoEnginuity to set it up originally which is known to create configuration problems in the BCM. You may have to have the dealer reload your factory BCM Config and start over again with AlfaOBD.

A quick google of those error codes/DTC’s indicates a Passenger Blend Door issue (open/shorted) which shouldn't happen if you have the above Single Zone ATC configuration. If you have spliced in the extra pass. blend door wiring to the original harness to attempt the full Dual Zone ATC mod like @Ricks Ram and @STecoD then you need to double check that.
ce13d75c2c7116b1503b3ac612ce1ae6.jpg5fc09a3d6f3dd3f14ac2e5d3bfcfe631.jpg

Last edited:

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I did everything I said but I could never solve this problem my only hope is to change my hvac module again and maybe all the harness for the conversion from 3.5 to 8.4 with atc

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may be missing something but my 18 factory uaq truck has single zone mtc.but through voice commands I can say set temp to whatever degrees and the slider automatically adjust.so I assume there would be no need to do the single zone atc mod?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I may be missing something but my 18 factory uaq truck has single zone mtc.but through voice commands I can say set temp to whatever degrees and the slider automatically adjust.so I assume there would be no need to do the single zone atc mod?

ATC entails more than just moving the temperature up/down. The system when Auto is selected will change where the air comes out, temperature and fan speed automatically based on the temperature set point. It will actually move the air to the defroster vents if the humidity/dew point sensor detects the window could be fogging up and when you remote when the windshield could be frosted up in he winter.
Order the wiring harnesses from M² Modsand the sensors from AllMoparParts.com enable it with AlfaOBD, it's probably my favorite mod.

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
I just spent the morning reading all 14 pages of this informative thread. Thank you all for your contributions.

However, I'd like to pose a question to @Mpgrimm2. Your "Reset HVAC instructions" seem to be the prescribed remedy. But what if my truck was factory Single Zone MTC? Is the remedy to upgrade to Single Zone ATC?

My truck is a 2019 1500 Classic. Bought the infotainment package upgrade package with NAV.

HVAC module is P68366552AA.
Radio: 68331631AK
Radio S/W Ver: 18.42.12
SINGLE Zone, MTC - No auto control

I have similar issues as mentioned in this thread, 4 presses of TEMP UP gets my radio slider to full heat. But it requires an additional 10 presses of the physical button to actually get full heat.

At this point, 10 depresses of the COLD button is required to get the slider to start moving from the top of the HOT down toward cool.

I've sent Infotainment an email just this morning, awaiting reply. Worth noting, I installed a replacement wire harness yesterday. Prior to this I had NO CLIMATE control at all. The new cable was a step in the right direction. Hoping I don't require Alpha OBD to overcome this hurdle.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
I just spent the morning reading all 14 pages of this informative thread. Thank you all for your contributions.

However, I'd like to pose a question to @Mpgrimm2. Your "Reset HVAC instructions" seem to be the prescribed remedy. But what if my truck was factory Single Zone MTC? Is the remedy to upgrade to Single Zone ATC?

My truck is a 2019 1500 Classic. Bought the infotainment package upgrade package with NAV.

I have similar issues as mentioned in this thread, 4 presses of TEMP UP gets my radio slider to full heat. But it requires an additional 10 presses of the physical button to actually get full heat.

At this point, 10 depresses of the COLD button is required to get the slider to start moving from the top of the HOT down toward cool.

I've sent Infotainment an email just this morning, awaiting reply. Worth noting, I installed a replacement wire harness yesterday. Prior to this I had NO CLIMATE control at all. The new cable was a step in the right direction. Hoping I don't require Alpha OBD to overcome this hurdle.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
Mark

Well - this is odd - Pulled the battery cable for 20 min, (this was the 2nd time doing this) and now the slider is behaving correctly.

I had pulled the negative terminal yesterday when I changed the harness. Thought I'd try it again for good measure. Glad I did.

Sorry to revive an old thread!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Thanks,
Mark
Don't worry, after you get AlfaOBD you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
Well - this is odd - Pulled the battery cable for 20 min, (this was the 2nd time doing this) and now the slider is behaving correctly.

I had pulled the negative terminal yesterday when I changed the harness. Thought I'd try it again for good measure. Glad I did.

Sorry to revive an old thread!

DAMMIT

Just got in the truck and its reverted BACK to the degraded state :(

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Thanks,
Mark

Yes. Single Zone ATC has been the fix in all cases with the 13-17 trucks.

** What's interesting is that I have heard 2nd hand from some people that the 18/19+ classics don't have the blend door issue with a standard 8.4 MTC conversion harness ...

I suspected this for awhile now, and had thought none of those folks noticed the issue with the extra button presses required to get full blend door travel as shown in the earlier posted video or just accepted it. Trucks just aren't very consistent on what's needed sometimes.

Good news is I do make a universal add-on harness set for adding Single Zone ATC (cheaper to have me build it into a conversion harness though).

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
UPDATE: Using my BlueDriver OBD reader I did a full system scan.

I saw two old codes still present from the bad cable install:

U0010 - CAN Interior Bus
U0164 - Lost Communication With HVAC Control Module

I cleared both errors. Tuned the key to off. Open and closed the driver door. Waited for the truck to shut down, counted to 30, rubbed my belly, patted my head 4x, said the alphabet backwards skipping even letters.

Power back on, and I got my temp control back. I've left it 30 minutes, so far its sticking. I won't claim victory until I see it hold overnight.

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
Yes. Single Zone ATC has been the fix in all cases with the 13-17 trucks.

** What's interesting is that I have heard 2nd hand from some people that the 18/19+ classics don't have the blend door issue with a standard 8.4 MTC conversion harness ...

I suspected this for awhile now, and had thought none of those folks noticed the issue with the extra button presses required to get full blend door travel as shown in the earlier posted video or just accepted it.
Good news is I do make a universal add-on harness set for adding Single Zone ATC (cheaper to have me build it into a conversion harness though).

M² Mods.

This would require the purchase of a few other pieces of hardware if I've read correctly, right? A temp sensor, and potentially a different bezel (or the fan control within)