I have one and I like it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I bought a new 392 2500 last Monday.

20190311_153348-X2.jpg

Yep, it's got the hated chrome grill, no carpet, and vinyl seats......and I love it. I stumbled across it by accident and it's almost exactly like I would have ordered it. The 392 and the 8 speed seem to be made for each other. Drives great in town and on the highway.

I know looks are subjective, but I like it much better than the 7 Gen IV trucks I've owned.

For a base truck it is VERY quiet. I beiieve it is as quiet as the 2016 Laramie dually I had.

Someone mentioned in another thread, they saw one in a gas station and it was very short. I cannot speak to that one, but the floor height on this one is as tall as the 2016 Power Wagon I owned. I'm 6'8" tall and this one is a bit of a struggle to get intlo. It is definitely tall than the 2500 Bighorn I owned.

While this truck might not be for everyone, it really pleases me.

I hope some of you get a chance to drive one a form your own opinions.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Following for further reports. Congrats

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on the upgrade!

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congratulations! I am really looking forward to your first review.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
:worship:Can ya snap some interior pics since you have a tradesman. Pretty please lol

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I can’t tell a whole lot of difference between this gen 5 and my gen 4 as far as the interior goes. Maybe the radio bezel

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Here's the only one I have right now:

20190311_152946-X2.jpg

When I get the truck back from the mufflrt shop om Monday, I'll take some more.
What is up with the seat buckle???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I use extenders to help with buckling up due to back issues. My wife stuck one on top of mine without thinking. It does look kind of goofy doesn't it? I'll take some more after I get it out of muffler hell.

OP
OP
H

hutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I can’t tell a whole lot of difference between this gen 5 and my gen 4 as far as the interior goes. Maybe the radio bezel

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

There are some differences in the appearance of instruments, arrangement of controls, etc. However, the "Mercedes Benz S Type" interiors that come int the upper trims is not found on the Tradesman. It seems to have the same hard surfaces that the last years Tradesman had. This is not necessarily bad, it's just the way it is.

I prefer a Tradesman because I don't like paying for a lot of nonfunctional options. But that is just me. I enjoy looking at loaded trucks....I just don't want to pay for one.

I will sah this though, the differences between the Gen IV trucks and these new ones runs deeper than the interior. This is more quiet and seems more solid than my Gen IV trucks have been. But again, that's my opinion.

Craigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Well it makes sense, sorry. Didnt know a thing like that existed!!

OP
OP
H

hutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Well it makes sense, sorry. Didnt know a thing like that existed!!

No worries! It's very goofy looking in the picture. An interesting sidelight to those extenders....with one installed, you no longer get a seatbelt alarm for that seat. The computer thinks the belt is hooked and does not alarm if someone does not have it hooked.

Now before someone starts preaching about seatbelt useage, I always wear one and insist that everyone in the car/truck buckles up. I believe they save lives. However, I hate the alarm....

OP
OP
H

hutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the compliments, but color and chrome are personal choices. I'm an old man and am confident in my choices. I like what I like, and others like what they like. It's all good!

I will say this....After owning several Gen IV gassers and diesels, this truck seems more sorted overall. I really like it!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the compliments, but color and chrome are personal choices. I'm an old man and am confident in my choices. I like what I like, and others like what they like. It's all good!

I will say this....After owning several Gen IV gassers and diesels, this truck seems more sorted overall. I really like it!
I find myself loving the chrome as I get older too. They put enough I just don’t add to it. You should check 4th gen diy or search on how to disable seatbelt chime....might still work on this new edition. My seat belt is always off when I’m out exoloring on dirt roads.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That's what its all about, only thing that really matters is the owner is happy with their purchase. I like chrome on older vehicles (have even paid a fair amount of money to have things re-chromed on my classic), but prefer color matched on newer vehicles. With the money these things cost, you better get exactly what you want and what makes you happy. Congrats on your new truck!