I let my wife buy a Ford Edge and I realize it may be a major mistake.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I had my 15 minutes of fame by getting a flat in left lane of Cross Bronx Expressway. From a stop needed to cross over few lanes to get to place to put on spare. Nobody would let me through. The local news traffic helicopter for WINS-88 radio was reporting “disabled vehicle left lane”. Eventually a car carrier slowed down and sheparded me into the median.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my 15 minutes of fame by getting a flat in left lane of Cross Bronx Expressway. From a stop needed to cross over few lanes to get to place to put on spare. Nobody would let me through. The local news traffic helicopter for WINS-88 radio was reporting “disabled vehicle left lane”. Eventually a car carrier slowed down and sheparded me into the median.
Not surprising you got a flat on that lousy highway!
I don't know what condition it is in now, but I remember the Cross Bronx Expressway having permanent ruts where the tires ran. The blacktop was higher in the middle. Terrible roadway. That was in the 70's and 80's.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Just did a 600 mile round trip to Poconos in PA. Rte 81 has many hills. Put adaptive cruise control on 65 mph, engaged lane departure warning. Great ride, didn't need to touch brakes and gas pedal(except to pass) very much. Only bummer was wife didn't want to hear Christmas music on radio, too early....

After 7 months and 5k miles, I'm giving the RAM 5 stars.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Just did a 600 mile round trip to Poconos in PA. Rte 81 has many hills. Put adaptive cruise control on 65 mph, engaged lane departure warning. Great ride, didn't need to touch brakes and gas pedal(except to pass) very much. Only bummer was wife didn't want to hear Christmas music on radio, too early....

After 7 months and 5k miles, I'm giving the RAM 5 stars.
Smart Woman!

bborzell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
You “let” your wife buy a Ford Edge?

How’s the weather in Saudi Arabia?:cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You “let” your wife buy a Ford Edge?

How’s the weather in Saudi Arabia?:cool:
Yes I did. She trusts me. She picks out what she wants and if I tell her I think there are going to be problems with it, she trusts me enough not to buy it. We both have an input into major purchases and if one of us doesn't like it we don't buy it. It's called a team. We've been married for over 30 years and it's what we do.

Sorry you're girlfriend/wife doesn't value your opinion enough to listen to you.

Copper93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it comes to engines, I'm a more "it's not a problem until it's a problem". Granted there are some engines I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Every engine ever made has it naysayers on why it's prone to failure and why you shouldn't own one. If they all were true, no one on here would have a 5.7 or a 6.4 due to lifer issues, a Ford 5.4 due to sparkplug stripping out or timing failures or a 5.3 due to piston slap and oil usage. When you consider the millions of engines built worldwide what is considered a repeat failure and design flaw probably only shows up on .0001% of the engines. Now it sucks if it's your engine.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When it comes to engines, I'm a more "it's not a problem until it's a problem". Granted there are some engines I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Every engine ever made has it naysayers on why it's prone to failure and why you shouldn't own one. If they all were true, no one on here would have a 5.7 or a 6.4 due to lifer issues, a Ford 5.4 due to sparkplug stripping out or timing failures or a 5.3 due to piston slap and oil usage. When you consider the millions of engines built worldwide what is considered a repeat failure and design flaw probably only shows up on .0001% of the engines. Now it sucks if it's your engine.
Agreed! Ive posted this many times before, but every vehical I have ever owned was complete crap if you believe the internet. Name any vehical and I bet I can find you a video of someone saying it has a "design flaw" and is junk. To add to your list, there are plenty who talk about lifter failures on GM 5.3's and 6.2's. So essentially there is no truck you can buy that someone doesn't claim it has a crappy engine. Also google "toyota truck engines are crap" or "nissan truck engines are crap" and you will find plenty. Also google "ram cp4 fuel pump" and "nissan CP4 fuel pump".

Hobobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've never liked Fords. I've always thought they were junk. This is from personal experience with a 1997 F-150 I used to own. That engine went on me with under 100k on the clock. After I had the engine replaced a Ford guy I worked with told me that I need to buy something with a proven engine. My next truck after that Ford was a 2001 Ram 1500 with a 360. And so my Ram journey began.

Fast forward to today. My wife needed something bigger than her Journey because of her back. The Grand Cherokee didn't work. I had one of those before and she had trouble getting into that. The Durango's were nice but really expensive. So enter the Ford Edge. Her sister has one and she loves it. My wife drove it and she liked it so we found a 2019 Edge SEL. It's a nice car. Fully loaded with the exception of a sun roof which we didn't want anyways. It has either the 2.0 or 2.3 ecoboost in it. We've only had it a few weeks. She bought it right after I bought my truck. Tonight I come across this video telling me that there is an engine design flaw with it. Here's the video. What do you guys think?

Ordered a new 2008 Ford Edge Limited for my wife. I have been wanting to replace it, but she loves it. Only 106K miles. It does have the V6 in it. Only problem we had was a weird tranny issue early on that the Dealer was finally able to trace to a dodgy sensor. Other than that, change the oil, new brakes, and tires a couple of times. Finally, she wants a new car. We are looking at the Toyota Highlander AWD with the new 4 cyl. turbo. Hopefully it will last as long as the Edge did.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Agreed but in my case 3 of 5 Fords needed a new engine and those were the only vehicles I have owned in 35 years of driving that ever needed a new engine (except my race cars)

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
My BF had a Ford Escape. Drove into a herd of Elk doing 60mph. Hit and killed 13 of them on spot. He and the two dogs in the backseat walked out without a scratch. Of course it was totaled, but made it a point to buy the exact same model. Currently has 160K miles on it with nothing but regular maintenance. Dealer he bought it from offered a lifetime drivetrain warranty but zero issues so far. Personally I love my Ram, but damn, that’s been a good car!02D14DBE-89B2-434C-B072-5BF38940D46D.jpeg530B9CE0-0202-4259-BE8A-832AE7CEF1C9.jpeg053F1D28-FDBD-45C2-892D-EB4A2C3C7CCA.jpeg

garrye

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 daytona
Engine
5.7 hemi
My daughter has the same enigine in her 2019 mustang. At 50k it started using coolant and the check engine light came on. Ford wound up putting a new engine in it due to faulty warped block. So yeah you could have issues or may not have issues. I would either get an extended warranty or sell it before you have any issues

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My BF had a Ford Escape. Drove into a herd of Elk doing 60mph. Hit and killed 13 of them on spot. He and the two dogs in the backseat walked out without a scratch. Of course it was totaled, but made it a point to buy the exact same model. Currently has 160K miles on it with nothing but regular maintenance. Dealer he bought it from offered a lifetime drivetrain warranty but zero issues so far. Personally I love my Ram, but damn, that’s been a good car!View attachment 507350View attachment 507351View attachment 507352

Wow.....glad he and dogs were OK.....lucky! Hope all that meat didn't go to waste.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Wow.....glad he and dogs were OK.....lucky! Hope all that meat didn't go to waste.
Nope, it was delicious . 4 state troopers showed up within 1/2 hour and scored the back straps and ivories. We split one elk with a friend and news spread fast cause all of them were gone by 9am (accident happened at 1am)

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wouldn't worry about it until it happens. You said it was a 19, how many miles? It either happened already and was delt with, or it isn't going to happen. Drive the car, don't worry about it. And let's be honest, all the issues we have with our trucks, yet people still buy them..

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't worry about it until it happens. You said it was a 19, how many miles? It either happened already and was delt with, or it isn't going to happen. Drive the car, don't worry about it. And let's be honest, all the issues we have with our trucks, yet people still buy them..
That's pretty much my attitude right now. The mileage is on the higher side of average @ 52k.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My BF had a Ford Escape. Drove into a herd of Elk doing 60mph. Hit and killed 13 of them on spot. He and the two dogs in the backseat walked out without a scratch. Of course it was totaled, but made it a point to buy the exact same model. Currently has 160K miles on it with nothing but regular maintenance. Dealer he bought it from offered a lifetime drivetrain warranty but zero issues so far. Personally I love my Ram, but damn, that’s been a good car!View attachment 507350View attachment 507351View attachment 507352
Darn! That's a lot of good meat. Did you get to keep any of it?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80716 miles

bborzell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Yes I did. She trusts me. She picks out what she wants and if I tell her I think there are going to be problems with it, she trusts me enough not to buy it. We both have an input into major purchases and if one of us doesn't like it we don't buy it. It's called a team. We've been married for over 30 years and it's what we do.

Sorry you're girlfriend/wife doesn't value your opinion enough to listen to you.
Words have meanings. “Letting” someone do something is not consulting in my world.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Words have meanings. “Letting” someone do something is not consulting in my world.

That's because you're looking for problems where there are none. Everybody wants to be a victim these days and spot red flags and problems and beat up on the ole white patriarchal society ... ok I'm rambling now.

Maybe you'll "let" Loudram and his wife be, all without them consulting you!