Ignition hesitates after TPS replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDLinDallas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 8cyl
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 and the engine was revving randomly at highway speeds. Codes came back as Throttle Position Sensor going bad. Replaced that, and cleaned out the throttle body. Now the problem with the revving is gone, but every time I start up it cranks for about 3-5 seconds before ignition. And I'm still getting that code p0123 and a check engine light.

Any thoughts on that?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you get an aftermarket or OEM TPS? I had terrible trouble with the sensors, including TPS, on my '01 Dakota with the 4.7 engine. None of the aftermarket ones quite worked right. It only seemed to like the OEM ones.

-K

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I bought one last year would not work on my truck.Like everything else on these computer driven engines its has to have the right vin number to marry up to you computer.I put the old one back on it and runs fine.They refunded my money.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I bought one last year would not work on my truck.Like everything else on these computer driven engines its has to have the right vin number to marry up to you computer.I put the old one back on it and runs fine.They refunded my money.

You might be thinking of the ECM* or TCM**, which are computers and yes, need to be programed to your VIN. A TPS is a Throttle Position Sensor, which is not VIN matched in any way.

-K

* Engine Control Module
** Transmission Control Module

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I know what a throttle position sensor is mine would not work at all that is what the folks who sold it to me said .Believe me I know what you are talking about.If Chrysler hadn't merged with Benz some of these crap going on with the third gen models wouldn't happen.I have owned all gen trucks except 4th gen and soon 5th gen.When Dodge was Dodge is really a better truck and a heavier built truck.The part was a aftermarket but something people needs to know parts are contracted by Mopar to make their parts for them.Most of the parts now days are made in Mexico or China to Mopar specics .Chrysler is not in the business to make parts refine oil and such a lot of after market parts are as good and better than what come on the truck if I wasn't right you aftermarket people wouldn't have nothing to sell.

Last edited:

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I try and stay with Mopar replacement parts. I have had bad luck with aftermarket sensors, etc. IIRC, mopar doesn`t recommend cleaning the 5.7 throttle body( they say replace it). I don`t know about the 4.7.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I try and stay with Mopar replacement parts. I have had bad luck with aftermarket sensors, etc. IIRC, mopar doesn`t recommend cleaning the 5.7 throttle body( they say replace it). I don`t know about the 4.7.

Mother Mopar may not recommend it but people have been successfully cleaning the TB on these engines for years without issue.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes and I have cleaned mine before also but for the people that don`t know how it can cause issues.