In need of help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi All,

As am sure most of you have, I joined this after reading dozens of posts but none with a resolution to my issue. Obviously, I'm hoping to get the truck out of it's "Lawn Ornament" state.

Truck - 2006 Ram 1500 4.7L. Two weeks ago, I was restarting the truck after filling up and it started, ran for 3 seconds then died. I restarted it and it happened twice more before staying started and I drove home. Went out a few days ago and it did the same thing. Only this time, after 3 attempts of it running for a few seconds, it just quit trying. Battery is good (I did try it with a jumper pack just to see) 12.4V at the terminal, 12.3 at the starter, starter is well grounded, key fob is aftermarket - prior to my ownership - but locks and unlocks the doors just fine and I have replaced that battery too. No "clicks", no sound at all when turning the key. All other electronics are fine...only other oddity is the red light on the dash blinks but ONLY when the ignition is on. Really hoping someone out there has some ideas as to how to help.

Also...this is by no means a daily driver, it's a beach truck and I'm 100% fine with disabling the requirement for the FOB...if that's even an option.

Last edited:

sleepy hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am no expert on this situation, but I have had a wonky TIPM and suspect it may be causing a very intermittent issue with starting on my 07 Laramie 4WD. Also I had a strange error message associated with both the hood ajar and ambient air temp sensor that I traced to corroded male terminals in the tips box where the harness connectors plug in. If you are comfortable lapping the TIPM, ir just unplugging the connectors, try looking at the terminals for signs of corrosion. For me this was a build up of crud on the male terminals that was hard to see at first. I used a very small file to scrape off the terminals and it fixed the problem.

The other culprits could be the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor. I may be wrong on this but I believe the RAM has both and one might be going bad. I believe, for example if the crank sensor goes bad it can shut down fuel delivery.

That's all I have at the moment.

OP
OP
T

timkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
SOLVED. Thanks to both of you for trying to help...I promise I have a number of other issues with this "beach ride" I'll be reaching out with in the future. After researching all of this and truly believing that the real issue laid with that janky aftermarket key that came with the truck, I was ready to pull the trigger on a whole new SKIM module and dive deep into programming (of which I know about as much as I do how to fly a fighter jet - none). I figured one last ditch effort would be to call a locksmith. Dude was here in 30 minutes, left 15 minutes after that, I now have two new working Dodge keys and my truck is running!!!

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
SOLVED. Thanks to both of you for trying to help...I promise I have a number of other issues with this "beach ride" I'll be reaching out with in the future. After researching all of this and truly believing that the real issue laid with that janky aftermarket key that came with the truck, I was ready to pull the trigger on a whole new SKIM module and dive deep into programming (of which I know about as much as I do how to fly a fighter jet - none). I figured one last ditch effort would be to call a locksmith. Dude was here in 30 minutes, left 15 minutes after that, I now have two new working Dodge keys and my truck is running!!!
wait a sec.....running then not running was caused by a bad key? how so?