In the market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brent Laney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys I don’t currently have a Ram 1500, but we are in the market for a truck. This might be against the rules and if it is I apologize for breaking them. My wife is pretty dead set against a Ram, even though I have told her that FCA’s products have greatly improved since her 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport she had when we got married. I want to know what real owners have experienced. My target is a 2015-2017 1500 Crew Cab Big Horn 4WD with the 5.7 Hemi. Any positive information I can give here would help I will be okay with a Chevy but I’ll be damned if I’m buying a Ford or Toyota.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Take wifey to the dealer and let her drive one - she will be converted, guaranteed. Ram has the best ride, the best interior and the best overall.

My 2016 1500 and my 2020 3500 are the best trucks I've ever owned, and I have owned a lot in my 86 years.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I bought (ordered new) a 2017 1500 Rebel trim. I am happy with this truck's features, creature comforts and (so far) durability. Ram (Dodge) has come a long way since 2000. BTW, I owned the same Cherokee, that's an apples-oranges comparison. Agree with John, get her to drive one.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a new 13 5.0 f150 it was a nice truck brother in-law bought one same day his now has 140k only issue was water pump at 115k. My next truck was a 16 Sierra again was a nice truck no issues. Then came my 18 ram crew cab 4x4 with 3.21 gears. What can I say that's positive? Well it was a lease I decided to buy it out within 8 months because I love it that much. The 8 speed makes it feel like 500hp compared to the 6 speeds even with my 3.21 gears. The ride when it was stock was great now it's better. The hemi has more torque where it's needed compared to the 5.0 and 5.3 this is somewhat negated now with the 10sp. The hemi sounds the best for a truck Imo. This year was my typical hey time to upgrade year and I was looking to move to a 2500 since we tow a decently heavy travel trailer thru the mountains to the beach a few times a year. My ram has had 0 problems doing this btw. So I did upgrade but not to my usual new truck. I dumped more money into this truck because I still love it. Now let me make this very clear I am not one to keep the same vehicle at all so the fact this ram has kept me happy is monumental. And dont get me started on the new Rams they ride like a caddy. The interior on the upper level trims is nicer than my 16 c63 was. And I personally love the body lines. But again my 18 is still able to keep me hooked. 20200711_131550.jpg

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take wifey to the dealer and let her drive one - she will be converted, guaranteed. Ram has the best ride, the best interior and the best overall.

My 2016 1500 and my 2020 3500 are the best trucks I've ever owned, and I have owned a lot in my 86 years.
Impressed your rocking a 3500 at 86 congratulations on the good health that's aweaome.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Impressed your rocking a 3500 at 86 congratulations on the good health that's aweaome.
Thanks - I too am impressed. Had serious cancer at 30, never thought I'd reach 40, and here I am at 86 and acting like I'm a youngster.

You'll get a kick out the fact I had a 2006 Ford F350, 6.0 diesel all tricked out and tuned with only 27,000 miles. When I saw the 2020 Ram HO diesel I decided, what the hell, I gotta have one of those. A terrible, stupid decision as I have no justification. When my wife passed 11 years ago I decided I'm going to enjoy my future rather than worrying about it. So my son now has my Ford and I'm enjoying driving, tuning and accessorizing my 2020 Ram.

Getting it ready for our annual fishing & elk hunting trip to the Oregon Cascades with my brothers.

Why am I telling you all this? So you don't forget to enjoy yourself, your wife and family every day. Don't wait for tomorrow because you never know when/if it's over.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Thanks - I too am impressed. Had serious cancer at 30, never thought I'd reach 40, and here I am at 86 and acting like I'm a youngster.

You'll get a kick out the fact I had a 2006 Ford F350, 6.0 diesel all tricked out and tuned with only 27,000 miles. When I saw the 2020 Ram HO diesel I decided, what the hell, I gotta have one of those. A terrible, stupid decision as I have no justification. When my wife passed 11 years ago I decided I'm going to enjoy my future rather than worrying about it. So my son now has my Ford and I'm enjoying driving, tuning and accessorizing my 2020 Ram.

Getting it ready for our annual fishing & elk hunting trip to the Oregon Cascades with my brothers.

Why am I telling you all this? So you don't forget to enjoy yourself, your wife and family every day. Don't wait for tomorrow because you never know when/if it's over.
Well said, glad you're able to enjoy life!

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

You have absolutely no idea how impacful this is. I was recently diagnosed with cancer. Wife freaks constantly especially with covid. My daily side effects from immunotherapy are every syptom of covid. But as far as enjoying life because it's not guaranteed is so true. Once I finish led my chemo and radiation I bought my wife a new wrangler as a thank you for being basically the mom and dad for 3 months while I had my ass handed to me. Then to reward myself I bought my lift and wheels lol along with the lift and wheels for her Jeep. Then I bought a permanent camping spot to enjoy with my 7 and 3 year old. Aug 10th I get my pet scan [emoji1696]and hopefully all is well and I can enjoy life even more.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
You have absolutely no idea how impacful this is. I was recently diagnosed with cancer. Wife freaks constantly especially with covid. My daily side effects from immunotherapy are every syptom of covid. But as far as enjoying life because it's not guaranteed is so true. Once I finish led my chemo and radiation I bought my wife a new wrangler as a thank you for being basically the mom and dad for 3 months while I had my ass handed to me. Then to reward myself I bought my lift and wheels lol along with the lift and wheels for her Jeep. Then I bought a permanent camping spot to enjoy with my 7 and 3 year old. Aug 10th I get my pet scan [emoji1696]and hopefully all is well and I can enjoy life even more.

Crazy stuff, ya never know. Glad you're getting well, good luck!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Wow - One never knows how a message is received. I know how must you feel and your thoughts.

In addition to hoping for a perfect pet scam, I will be praying for it. Let us know.

mrOAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Ohio5pt7 prayers to you buddy! @John Jensen glad you've overcome adversity and enjoying what is to come! Cancer is the phu#$ing pits!

@Brent Laney I agree with the gents above me. Have the wife test drive it. Trust me, I saved $45k by going with a used 2016 rather than, at that time w/o driving the RAM, my first choice of a 2020 GMC Denali. The ride is smoother on the RAM, yes even smoother than the Denali I tested. The features of Denali outweigh what I have in the 2016 but the wifes requirements was heated/vented seats and heated steering wheel. So long story short, just tell her its anything but a RAM, then buy the RAM anyway :)

:signs8::signs8::signs8:

brny67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Came from a 08 Tacoma, have not looked back .. .I got a 16 1500 Hemi and that truck is AWESOME, my wife and friends that ride in it say it rides so smooth! Like others said take her for a ride. If you buy a Ram please post pics

Last edited:

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 5.7 motor 4x4 Big Horn.I've yet to replace any parts except for routine maintenance.I have almost 70,000 miles on it and I'm very happy with this truck...BUT...if for whatever reason your wife prefers another make of vehicle,that's what I would get.I'm sure you know what I mean

Last edited:

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You the man John Jensen! Words to live by brother, keep gettin on!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You too Ohio, got all my fingers crossed. Good luck brother

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To the OP.....my 2014 1500 crew cab 5.7 has been a solid, reliable truck since day one. Nothing special, express model. No complaints.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed, get her to test drive one. If you're going to be towing anything get one with the 3.92 rear. If your not going to be towing get one with a 3.92 rear anyway. They are much more fun off the line.

Also I'm not sure what year they stopped making the 6 speed but get the 8 speed. If the shifter is on the column, it's a 6 speed. If it's a knob on the dash, it's the 8 speed.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed, get her to test drive one. If you're going to be towing anything get one with the 3.92 rear. If your not going to be towing get one with a 3.92 rear anyway. They are much more fun off the line.

Also I'm not sure what year they stopped making the 6 speed but get the 8 speed. If the shifter is on the column, it's a 6 speed. If it's a knob on the dash, it's the 8 speed.
Still made the 6 speed in 2018.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still made the 6 speed in 2018.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
With a Hemi? I thought they stopped in 16 or 17 with the Hemi. But I could be totally wrong.