Incessant problems with 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie - Terrible Ownership Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie Crew Cab - Flame Red
Engine
5.7L HEMI
"Send her back, send her back." Hope it gets resolved for you--I would hardly be as gracious.

I got nasty on the phone yesterday. I told them I’ll be there at 530pm on Monday to pick it up and it better be complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got my truck back this morning....27 total days in the shop. I dropped it off with a word doc with 12 items on it....they ignored 8 of them and didn't even put them on the RO! WTF? I refused to leave until they added them and put "did not address" for each of those items so it's documented that I complained. Also, my truck has a tremendous mildew smell. It was locked up in a hot parking lot leaking for nearly a month, despite the fact that I kept expressing concern over this. They refused to replace the headliner or other items that got wet. Now the GM is involved and he said "what if we offered to replace your headliner?" I'm like....you couldn't do that over the past 27 days???!! Not sure how this is ultimately going to get resolved. I'm so disappointed.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my truck back this morning....27 total days in the shop. I dropped it off with a word doc with 12 items on it....they ignored 8 of them and didn't even put them on the RO! WTF? I refused to leave until they added them and put "did not address" for each of those items so it's documented that I complained. Also, my truck has a tremendous mildew smell. It was locked up in a hot parking lot leaking for nearly a month, despite the fact that I kept expressing concern over this. They refused to replace the headliner or other items that got wet. Now the GM is involved and he said "what if we offered to replace your headliner?" I'm like....you couldn't do that over the past 27 days???!! Not sure how this is ultimately going to get resolved. I'm so disappointed.

I would have refused to take the truck back, citing "mildew smell" because what if there is black mold behind the panels? "Black mold" is a phrase that scares a lot of people into action!

It is good that you made them note they didnt address most of the issues, though.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You certainly shouldn't have to deal with this. Maybe you could get some type of mold test done for the safety of you family and you. The rest is just ********, none of which you are supposed to encounter with your purchase / FCA warranty.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would have refused to take the truck back, citing "mildew smell" because what if there is black mold behind the panels? "Black mold" is a phrase that scares a lot of people into action!

It is good that you made them note they didnt address most of the issues, though.

Lawyer advised me to pick it up and if it has to go back it’s yet another RO strengthening the lemon law case. The lawyer is also going to have their experts test for mold. They gave an independent third party that does that. They said you might not necessarily see mold that is growing in fabric fibers.

The GM of the dealer tried to tell me that my truck had been inside most of the time “drying out” however I asked him if he wanted the one picture I took of it in the same spot every day outside. I had also put a coin on top of the right rear tire. Truck didn’t move for 9 straight days in one stretch through several major rain storms.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lawyer advised me to pick it up and if it has to go back it’s yet another RO strengthening the lemon law case. The lawyer is also going to have their experts test for mold. They gave an independent third party that does that. They said you might not necessarily see mold that is growing in fabric fibers.

The GM of the dealer tried to tell me that my truck had been inside most of the time “drying out” however I asked him if he wanted the one picture I took of it in the same spot every day outside. I had also put a coin on top of the right rear tire. Truck didn’t move for 9 straight days in one stretch through several major rain storms.

Haha thats great, I bet it was nice to see the GM squirm!

You clearly know what you're doing, hopefully it all turns out well.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gave you a little hell earlier but your service experience has clearly been sorry to put it mildly. It's one thing to have a vehicle that needs attention under warranty, but just blowing off customer complaints/requests and outright lying is something else altogether.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I gave you a little hell earlier but your service experience has clearly been sorry to put it mildly. It's one thing to have a vehicle that needs attention under warranty, but just blowing off customer complaints/requests and outright lying is something else altogether.

Yeah...it's pretty horrendous. The fact that it sat in one spot collecting more water and developing mildew when they tried to tell me it was inside for long stretches is BS. It smells like an old boat cabin.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Service manager finally called me at 4pm today and apologized profusely. He said he "doesn't know what happened." I told him that nobody at his dealership returned a call for 16 days the whole time my truck was sitting out in the rain and then their GM lied about it being inside, and FCA told me that the service manager refused to authorize replacement of the headliner. He said he was sorry and now ordered the headliner which should be in in 5 days and then ANOTHER 2 DAYS in service to replace! This will bring this issue to 29 days in service and a total of 38 days total since December! He agreed that FCA should be buying the truck back and that the GM thought the best solution is to find a way to get me out of this one. I told him that it's a little late for that since a lemon law case has been filed and they should have considered working with me 27 days ago. Not sure how this will play out, but it seems to be getting worse.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like they got caught with their pants down and are now realizing the fuster cluck it's already turned into.

The only words I'd be saying to them now are "talk to the lemon law attorney"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sounds like they got caught with their pants down and are now realizing the fuster cluck it's already turned into.

I told them anything involving a vehicle replacement has to involve the attorney, but I'm happy to have them facilitate that with FCA. If they really believe it should be bought back, then they need to tell FCA that and push it in that direction.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So, after having my truck back less than 24 hours, I pull out of my driveway this morning, start off down the hill by my house and touch the brakes....SQUEEEEEEEEAK!! The parts they waited for the longest were the brake parts to fix just this! I was assured that this was fixed. WTF? I didn't even make it 50 miles! Made a short video on my way home...happens every time I touch the brakes. :-( . 27 days at the dealer, and literally nothing is fixed right.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So, after having my truck back less than 24 hours, I pull out of my driveway this morning, start off down the hill by my house and touch the brakes....SQUEEEEEEEEAK!! The parts they waited for the longest were the brake parts to fix just this! I was assured that this was fixed. WTF? I didn't even make it 50 miles! Made a short video on my way home...happens every time I touch the brakes. :-( . 27 days at the dealer, and literally nothing is fixed right.

Talked to the service manager today who probably doesn’t want to see my truck again, but he said he’s going to call FCA corporate and recommend they “get me out of this vehicle because it’s never going to be the quality it should be.” Not sure if they’ll take his advice but told them it has to go through the attorneys if they do.

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree, I think the stealership has finally figured out that you are not playing. The GM's statement that they should try to figure out how to get you out of that vehicle and into another one is (to me) code for we don't want FCA to be involved to keep them in good graces of FCA. If they can trade you out of the mildew bus and into another vehicle, they'll clean yours up and resell it, put you in another, take a loss, and claim 27 days of warrantee work against FCA and make up any loss they would face. Leave it to the attorneys to figure out...

Pikeville904

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ignition Orange Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Talked to the service manager today who probably doesn’t want to see my truck again, but he said he’s going to call FCA corporate and recommend they “get me out of this vehicle because it’s never going to be the quality it should be.” Not sure if they’ll take his advice but told them it has to go through the attorneys if they do.

Definitely run it thru the lawyers. They've done this before and know exactly how to get what you deserve, and let the dealership pay their costs.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Definitely run it thru the lawyers. They've done this before and know exactly how to get what you deserve, and let the dealership pay their costs.

The dealership won’t pay anything....they didn’t build the vehicle. The manufacturer is obligated under PA law to pay the legal fees. I told the dealer if they’re helpful I’d consider taking a vehicle from them. This isn’t the dealer where I bought my truck.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
By the way, I think you can tell, I'm on your side.!!

Thanks. I think it will work out one way or another. I just think FCA is prolonging the inevitable by pushing back on it and if they had created some good will by trying to work with me early on I’d be much more willing to try another RAM. Now I’m so annoyed I just want to take the check and get something else. My dad has a ‘19 Sierra Denali with very minimal trouble. He laughs every time I have to go back to the dealer. I like the way the RAM looks and the interior much better, but I’ll take the GMC’s reliability over cosmetics.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did someone seriously just say "GMC's reliability"?

:)

I wish you luck no matter what happens. Im with you, an experience like that would sour me on the whole brand, even if RAM was the best truck by far I would be weary of getting into another, unless they made it VERY appealing. Which I doubt they will.

OP
OP
F

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did someone seriously just say "GMC's reliability"?

:)

I wish you luck no matter what happens. Im with you, an experience like that would sour me on the whole brand, even if RAM was the best truck by far I would be weary of getting into another, unless they made it VERY appealing. Which I doubt they will.

The GM of the dealership called me today and told me he and the service manager have both reached out to FCA corporate to recommend that they buy the vehicle back. They can’t promise me anything of course but at least we’re on the same page. They are also aware they’ll have to go through the attorney if they do. I hope something comes of this.