Inching toward a delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Until I fully delete, I'm taking incremental steps to improve efficiency of my '18 Cummins.

What can I expect from a simple replacement of the OEM air filter to a K&N? I don't expect miracles. Do I need the cold intake as well?

For those who've done it, what has been your experience?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Zero improvement, don't do it. The filtration is inferior to the stock filter which flows more then enough air to handle even modest HP increases over stock.
Clean air is much more important to the health of the truck.

Also I would do some serious research before deleting. I have, and it this point unless I start having emission issues that the warranty can't take care of I am leaving it alone. Too many people having issues after deleting for my liking.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I haven’t heard 1 issue after deleting other than a bigger smile, better response, better fuel economy, cleaner oil, & no emissions to **** the bed.

Emissions warranty is 50k, 52k I started having issues.

skip any oil soaked air filter.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I haven’t heard 1 issue after deleting other than a bigger smile, better response, better fuel economy, cleaner oil, & no emissions to **** the bed.

Emissions warranty is 50k, 52k I started having issues.

skip any oil soaked air filter.

Emission warranty is 80K miles, not 50k. Search any of the diesel forums. Plenty of people having issues with deleted trucks. Not saying all but enough to make me think twice.

Like I said, I'm not against it If I am having issues that the warranty won't cover but right now with a good running truck it's not worth throwing the warranty out.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Skip the k and n air filter for sure no oiled filters for the diesel. Stick to a good dry filter like afe or s & b.

And the truck will be a lot better running after the delete kit if you get a good tune.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Deleting the truck is not what is causing the problems. Deleting requires a tuner. You can delete and install a stock tune or up to a 120hp+ tune. This is where the problems are coming from. One of the tuners on the market is named "RaceMe".

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, you don't get much more from installing a K&N filter than re-usability.

No efficiency, power or throttle response improvements at all.

You'd get more for your buck with a nice cold air intake, such as the S&B system for the 6.7. Combine with a full delete, the throttle improvement alone is worth it.

As far as deleting, my truck kept trying to regenerate, without needing to regenerate, and leaving me stranded in the middle of no where on three separate occasions. All the dealer(s) seemed able to do was reset the code and advise me to come back if it happened again.

Having a truck that wasn't reliable is not acceptable. After receiving no help from Ram on the issue, I fully deleted the truck 15K miles ago and have had no issues whatsoever. So while I don't normally condone voiding your own warranty, that's the risk I've accepted.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The factory air filtration system lets plenty of air and the money spent won't make any difference. Now deleting and tuning will make you grin till your cheeks hurt IF you get a good/safe tune. I would advise contacting Starlite Diesel Performance to get a recommendation for a good shop to do the tune and delete. Starlite's tunes are very good, as I run an EZLynk 50hp tow tune from them in my Cummins as well as the trans tune and am very happy with it. I would sell my truck before putting it back to stock, but mine is a 2011 and if I were driving a newer one like yours I might look at it in a different light.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
82E1E1C8-15ED-4321-9BAF-C420060CCDF8.png
Emission warranty is 80K miles, not 50k. Search any of the diesel forums. Plenty of people having issues with deleted trucks. Not saying all but enough to make me think twice.

Like I said, I'm not against it If I am having issues that the warranty won't cover but right now with a good running truck it's not worth throwing the warranty out.

diesel emissions is 5/50, and yes check on diesel forums, the deleting isn’t causing issues other than what I listed.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wonder what, in the emissions warranty, what is meant by "special components"? Digging around I found this in section 5.

B. Parts Covered for 8 Years or 80,000 Miles,
Whichever Occurs First
If your truck has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered parts are:
• all catalysts
• powertrain control module
• transmission control module

As far as tuning, deleting, and issues, well. Deleting isn't a big deal since emissions are downstream of the engine in the exhaust system. The engine only has an EGR.

Tuning, well, simple browsing of the Cummins forum should be enough to steer anyone away from deleting and tuning. With the current EPA crackdown on diesel shops, tuning just got more difficult.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And cruising around the Cummins forum you see more for than against.

Not all tuning or tuner companies are US based.

would I rip the crap off before the warranty no, that’s what the warranty is for. After the 5/50, bye Felicia.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’m in the same boat as the OP. Brand new truck and warranty and want to take care of both. I have a very strong case of anxiety concerning the emissions equipment on my vehicle. If I could decrease the percentage of egr or turn it off altogether I would breathe a lot easier. So would my truck.
As far as the K&N, I wouldn’t do it. I’ve got 2 of them in the boxes that I removed from my vehicles after seeing the dust stuck to the inside of the intake duct. Filter efficiency over flow. The air filter is THE most important filter on any vehicle. It is the only opening in the closed system.

Ox69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had my 2017 deleted for 25,000 miles now no issues. i got a RPI intake , 5" flow pro exhaust , Double R diesel MM3 tuner and once the weather breaks i'm ripping off the egr s*&^.
as for rolling coal it all depends on the tuning that you use. you will get a little but not alot. think of the Egr system like this. the truck is breathing in it's own farts. it would be like putting a hose up your ass to your mouth and farting in it. not good. lmao. i've been to the dealer a hand full of times after my 3/4 delete and the have always worked on it no questions asked.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Be careful mentioning that hose as it may get incorporated in to the Green New Deal. But like you said I don’t like the fact of running exhaust back through the intake. Kind of the opposite of a cold air filter. Maybe a mini DPF for the egr to keep the particulate down? And on it goes.
Block off plates sounds better. Welded on.

Bigdududiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what I’ll say, I deleted and never looked back. I had the warning pop up and said 300 miles till it shuts down message At 30k miles. I can tell u that’s the last thing I wanted on a long trip. So after the dealership fixed what was wrong I decided to delete.

first I went with the ez lynk and CTT tuning. They are out of Canada so u don’t have to worry about the epa shutting them down. Kept there emissions compliant tune for a few months. Then ordered the full delete.

It runs and drives great. No complaints.

just keep all the emissions stuff Incase u sell the truck.