Installed new DDM Canbus HID kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
your kelvin rateing(bulb color)will also differ some to if you use 55 watt over 35 watt..Only as an example....35 watt with say a 5000 k(looks bluer) will be like a 6500 k with a 55 watt(really white)..

Luv the ddm stuff..Got them on my zx10 and in my freightliner,only bad is that i get alot of static comming through my stryker 955 radio

Attachments

• 1530423_187536438119400_611244041_n.jpg
    1530423_187536438119400_611244041_n.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 91

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in the world did you mount all the resistors? I have never taken off the grill is there mounting room there?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am running 4 resistors per side. I found a post where the individual mounted them between where we screw in the grill.
It works perfect and isn't near anything electrical and on metal.
With the ddm's I can drop to 2 per side as I am running the TYC projectors and need the resistors for the LED parking and turn.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those wanting to run hid's in the fogs or led's in 15's, they both work.
The hid's I had to run a relay; if not, after 15 minutes the fogs would just cut off.
On the led's I had the opt-7's and used their capacitor and their resistor. There is a huge thread on the Opt-7's

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a regular 9006 hid kit will NOT work. I just tried the cheaper ddm 35w kit for my fogs and they do not work. I tried a relay harness and the error eliminators and same thing. They flicker with the harness and with the error eliminators they just blink off and on every 2 seconds..
I know its not a hid kit, but i put a pair of 36w led light bars using the stock wiring Ram harness. Got flickering only when truck was ON. Installed a pair of opt7 el cheapo flicker capacitor eliminators and virtually no flickering now.

Does flicker free capacitors differ , meaning spec wise? Im thinking they do. But I don't notice sellers or vendors stating what capacitor is good for what applications.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know its not a hid kit, but i put a pair of 36w led light bars using the stock wiring Ram harness. Got flickering only when truck was ON. Installed a pair of opt7 el cheapo flicker capacitor eliminators and virtually no flickering now.

Does flicker free capacitors differ , meaning spec wise? Im thinking they do. But I don't notice sellers or vendors stating what capacitor is good for what applications.

Ya they are probably different per manufacturer. But I don't want to deal with a hole bunch of crap just for fogs so I'm just sending them back and getting a the same canbus kit I got for my lows so then I just have to put ballasts in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya they are probably different per manufacturer. But I don't want to deal with a hole bunch of crap just for fogs so I'm just sending them back and getting a the same canbus kit I got for my lows so then I just have to put ballasts in.

Indeed and I agree about all the wiring and additional resistors and such needed to in essence force it work. But for me, the opt7 were tiny devices and space wasn't an issue behind the bumper.
Slightly different subject, wonder what Ram's that comes with stock projectors use for their front turn signals that dont require resistors on them.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome question and I would love to hear what is so different that non-projectors doing upgrade to projectors have to install resistors. It doesn't make sense that the entire electrical set-up would be different. I am sure there has to be a way to do this and not use resistors.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One would think there has to be a way to just use the adapter, like what JJ makes, that would allow for the turn and parking lights to work correctly without adding those damn resistors

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Limey,
That has to be next on the list of how to. Know we know that the hid's work without a relay harness or resistors there has to be another way to make the total projector package work without extra crap...

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huh ? @Bigolayne LOL fella, you made me smile. Posting like a newbie ;-)

Yeah, being able to find out the root reason as to why projector Ram's work with led and no resistors would be nice. Perhapa a flash would suffice with a pigtail? Im just speculating now..

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was installation easy?
Piece of pi$$. Hardest part was aoldering the power and ground wires to exisiting harness. I removed the spade positive and negative connectors that connects to the h1 bulb housing area. Cut the spade connectors off and soldered then and wrappep up in heat shrink and pvc tape for good measure.
I didnt want too much wires crammed inside the back of the hid bulb area. I also stuck the ballast and ignitor to the headlight using 3m double sided tape. Only thing inhave left "hanging " is there error connector capacitor box.

Dirtbikekid1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine
hemi 5.7
Was installation easy?

Very easy!
Just open hood, take that plastic cover with the pos clips off, unbolt/ unclip grill and then remove the grill, unbolt headlights, unbolt dust cover, take out old bulb, put in new hid bulb, drill hole in dust cover for hid wires to go through, plug the ballast into hid wires, find place to mount the ballast and put it all back together. My brother in law was there and he couldn't believe how easy this was compared to the other major hid company on here. He had the other company's kit on his last two Rams and he said he wished this was out back when he did his. There is NO rewiring, soldering, or cutting of factory wires just unplug old bulb and plug in the new hid bulbs/ballast. It probably would have been a total of 1-1.5 hour install but I did my light bar when I had the front all apart.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty simple as already given instructions. If you have taken the grill off before then should be a 25 minute job. Limey is running Spyder headlights which are H1 so his was longer as he choose to solder his connections

Quigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody know if the DDM kit will work for my '12 with duals. I really like the idea of not having to mess with resistors.

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Anybody know if the DDM kit will work for my '12 with duals. I really like the idea of not having to mess with resistors.

I don't see why it wouldn't, same setup minus the harness that splits off inside the headlight for the hi/low beam. Just make sure you purchase a hi/low beam bulb/kit from DDM.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
What ever size bulb the duals use, h13 I think, would be what you want.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't mind the resistors. I mounted them above my LED Fog lights to keep them from icing over.