Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Mpgrimm2 is the Man!!!! Finally got around to installing the harness he made me in November for my '14 Big Horn 1500, and it was so easy. I was stressing about having to cut, solder, etc., but everything plugged in. The harnesses for the radio and under the truck is what I needed, had the camera and tailgate harness already. Am so stoked, can finally hook up the trailer without getting in and out of the truck a bunch of times. Thanks again!!!!
Well thanks for the shout out and so glad to hear back from you finally. I was beginning to wonder if you had installed it or not.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

HOTRODRO72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've just finished installing the backup camera on my 2013 RAM 1500 Big Horn, the good news is that it works perfectly: the bad news is that in the process of making my connection on the back of the radio, I accidentally shorted some wires and now I don't have the compass, the garage opener and the headlights are on all the time (can't turn them off or use the instrument dimmer either). I think I'm gonna need a new BCM. Before I buy one I would like to pick your brains on what to do. Any suggestions???

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've just finished installing the backup camera on my 2013 RAM 1500 Big Horn, the good news is that it works perfectly: the bad news is that in the process of making my connection on the back of the radio, I accidentally shorted some wires and now I don't have the compass, the garage opener and the headlights are on all the time (can't turn them off or use the instrument dimmer either). I think I'm gonna need a new BCM. Before I buy one I would like to pick your brains on what to do. Any suggestions???
Sorry to hear that . I would troubleshoot each system not working or not working correctly prior to changing the BCM .

My suggestion for you is in the future prior to doing electronic / electrical modification to any vehicle to first disconnect the battery or batteries negative terminal .

Short term if you must drive the truck ( during the day) remove fuses for any system that's not working properly .

Verify fuses are good for any system that's inop .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HOTRODRO72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advise.... Just to add to the list now I found out that the seat heater, steering wheel heater, the VSS system and the tow/haul are not working! I sure screw up big time!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmmm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It's somewhat unlikely that you actually fried it, most likely it threw a slew of DTCs that need to be cleared. I recommend just going to the dealer and get them to reflash the BCM and go from there.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree , too many things all at once ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fantastic video Mike ! This would've been nice to see prior to my first install

HOTRODRO72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well... I fried the BCM! Dealership replaced it with a new one and now everything is working fine. .... I've learned my lesson! Thanks to all.

tkevan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7I
I've read this thread, and maybe I missed it. But here goes. Truck is a 2013 3500 DRW with RA2. Started my install and everything is going well, until I get to the F923 connection on the PDC. Surprise, surprise, no Pink and yellow in slot 13. In fact, no wire at all. So, I need to find a supply for this power. Any Ideas??

Troy Schleben

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read this thread, and maybe I missed it. But here goes. Truck is a 2013 3500 DRW with RA2. Started my install and everything is going well, until I get to the F923 connection on the PDC. Surprise, surprise, no Pink and yellow in slot 13. In fact, no wire at all. So, I need to find a supply for this power. Any Ideas??

Troy Schleben
Welcome to the Forum Sir and welcome to this thread as well !

We've not run into thisone yet to my knowledge.
First off :
Some trucks do have diff color wires ...are you certin you are in the correct location ?

If so then :
Can you check with a meter to see if there is 12vdc @ F923 socket in the PDC while in ACC / RUN position ?
Not positive but you may need the truck running to get voltage there , or maybe even need to be in reverse .

tkevan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7I
12v at F293/ socket 13 with acc/start/run.
Continuity with F95, Rrcam/park assist fuse. Just no wire on connector. I did assume, probably wrongly, I would have 12v only when trans was in reverse at F923.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
12v at F293/ socket 13 with acc/start/run.

Continuity with F95, Rrcam/park assist fuse. Just no wire on connector. I did assume, probably wrongly, I would have 12v only when trans was in reverse at F923.

I have the terminals for the PDC. I'll gladly make you a pigtail, but it will take a couple days with shipping to get to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkevan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7I
I can pull a terminal from the old tailgate harness, but I need to make sure i'm getting the right signal out at that spot.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like your on the right track now sir , DeereGuy is better versed to help you than I am anyways
Thanks for the help Mike !

tkevan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7I
Scratch that. Just looked and the terminals loom a bit different. I can get one that fits, though. Just looking for conformation on what I shoild be seeing at that port.